Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say Denver, but probably any decent sized city in Colorado would work. Maybe Salt Lake City might work too.
That's the right pattern of thought,, ckh...

West gets more sun and is less humid. The mountainous parts of the west are going to get snow but unless you're high up in the mountains it won't be much. Denver really doesn't get a ton of snow, but the nearby Rockies do. Denver still does get hit with feet of snow sometimes, though.

But the smaller western cities like Reno, Salt Lake, Albquerque or Santa Fe (but the latter is expensive) and even maybe parts of eastern CA along the Nevada border would be what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM

389 posts, read 902,783 times
No ones recommended St. Louis? What could beat walking your dog on the arch grounds or through forest park. We're a metro of about 3 million a little under, you can get anywhere in town 30 minutes or less. We really don't have huge traffic problems like atlanta and LA. We also have metrolink which I enjoy riding. Fall and Spring are definitely my favorite seasons as well and they're beautiful here. We've got some gorgeous neighborhoods that come to life during fall spring and winter.

Winters here aren't as bad as cities further north like Chicago or Minneapolis. Summers can be humid but I might be used to it, I don't complain too much about it. We do get all four seasons. Pricing here is very affordable you can definitely find what you're looking for at 250k. If you do miss the big city like Chicago its a 4 hour drive or you can take amtrak for 65 bucks roundtrip or megabus.

Our downtown is coming to life and its really on a resurgence. All our sports teams play downtown. You might not be into sports but they really fill the city if you'd like to people watch. We're also renovating our opera house Kiel Opera House which should open in December 2010. I think its an exciting time to be in St. Louis and watch and be part of its resurgence. Tons of properties to invest in or homes to rehab. I'm not much of a coffee drinker but people love coffee shops here, I can't imagine there's a shortage.

If you have any questions or need any help the st. louis message board would be happy to help. Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM

52 posts, read 218,603 times
You have to look at Flagstaff, AZ. It is just a pretty and in the pines as parts of CO. Yet the cost of living is low and it is a college town and summer retreat from the heat.
I love it there and you will too, check it out.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM

27 posts, read 64,327 times
Hi! Thank you again for all the continued suggestions.

Well we just got through inspection on our house and everything looks good. The appraisal is getting taken care of as I type. So I guess that means we really need to start looking - less than 4 weeks til closing!!

We checked out the Greenville, SC area more last weekend, and found a property that worked great for us. Unfortunately, we decided against the Greenville area. During the day, the downtown is awesome, and there is great nightlife too... but we did not feel safe walking around that area after dark. Also, we didn't care all that much for the actual town the house was in.

We did make an offer on a house near Charleston, SC. We really like the Charleston downtown. Even on a Sunday night there was quite a bit of nightlife. Unfortunately, the offer didn't get accepted. And at this time anyway, there's nothing else on the market there that works for us.

So it's back to the drawing board...

We have been to Flagstaff, AZ, and didn't really care for it all that much. Also, that's where we ran into the completely unexpected snowstorm, lol! Cute town though.

In regards to the humidity thing, I don't like it, but I prefer it to snow. Which is why we are considering places like Charleston, SC.

We would like to get out of the southeast and move somewhere else for a new experience, but it's hard to beat the awesome weather most of the year and the great property prices - which is why we keep getting drawn back to areas around here when we do research on realtor.com etc.

We are trying to keep the attitude that this is fun and an adventure. I think we may just have to hop in the car and start driving around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.