Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 PM

56 posts, read 154,273 times

Advertisements

So lately I have been getting rather bored with my current locale. Been here since I started going to school, tired of seeing the same faces and dealing with the same "Maryland mentality" that the out-of-towners talk about. Not to mention it's so expensive, I have determined that only NYC would cost more than here.

My basic criteria is somewhere warmer and farther south, I'm not one for snow. I work as a heavy-duty welder, so it has to be somewhere that people are doing heavy pipe construction (underground steam pipes). I'm single, so while nightlife is not my exclusive hobby, once a month seeing some local bands us fun. My area is big for car racing (particularly drag racing) and that is my big hobby, so I need a local track or else I would go crazy. I've done commutes to both Baltimore and DC, traffic doesn't scare me. I also would like to have a local football team, not required but a definite bonus.

So I have determined my criteria to mean larger southern cities, not exactly sure what state (avoiding VA like the plague). My only two real requirements are local racing and blue collar welding work. Anybody got ideas for me? Checking out all these places to move is just so overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy View Post
So lately I have been getting rather bored with my current locale. Been here since I started going to school, tired of seeing the same faces and dealing with the same "Maryland mentality" that the out-of-towners talk about. Not to mention it's so expensive, I have determined that only NYC would cost more than here.

My basic criteria is somewhere warmer and farther south, I'm not one for snow. I work as a heavy-duty welder, so it has to be somewhere that people are doing heavy pipe construction (underground steam pipes). I'm single, so while nightlife is not my exclusive hobby, once a month seeing some local bands us fun. My area is big for car racing (particularly drag racing) and that is my big hobby, so I need a local track or else I would go crazy. I've done commutes to both Baltimore and DC, traffic doesn't scare me. I also would like to have a local football team, not required but a definite bonus.

So I have determined my criteria to mean larger southern cities, not exactly sure what state (avoiding VA like the plague). My only two real requirements are local racing and blue collar welding work. Anybody got ideas for me? Checking out all these places to move is just so overwhelming!
I'm thinking Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville and Memphis. Maybe Louisville too.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Dallas or Houston Texas may be your best choices.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Atlanta is in the middle of a multi-billion $$ sewer overhaul as we speak. The timing might be right for you. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Dallas or Houston Texas may be your best choices.
True...How could I forget?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 AM

Atlanta:
Good racing out there. Close drag strip, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Road Atlanta, very well known to racers as a hot spot. I have heard mixed reviews on Atlanta as a place to live, but when I was there I felt rather indifferent to it. I was not there for long, but left not impressed or disappointed. I guess Atlanta seems like just another place to me, doesn't quite excite me. However, I have heard good things about "Hotlanta" and "the ATL" as far as nightlife is concerned.

Nashville:
One close drag strip, but that is what I have now so I can easily live with it. I kind of thought of Music City to be losing its luster with the younger crowd, it seems like I hear more about retirees moving there than people around my own age.

Birmingham:
I hear good things from an older crowd, but seems perhaps a bit "boring" for someone looking for an exciting place to move. I have a few friends in Tuscaloosa and Auburn. I'm leaving a place that is inextricably boring, I don't need the same place except in 'Bama. However, I did recently hear someone from Birmingham call my area "not a place to raise happy kids" so perhaps I am a product of this unhappy generation?

Jacksonville:
Racing (both drag and motocross, dirt bikes are a big plus for me), football, beautiful beaches, this one seems to have it all. Not to mention it's right on the beach. The only problem with all this perfection is that it seems to be more focused on modern types of business than the typical industrial town that a welder looks for. Now, with that said, a structural/pipe stick welder can find a job anywhere people are building something big. So as long as those businesses need big office buildings and underground pipe systems I can get a job.

Memphis:
Memphis Motorsports Park is known, but Nahsville has the football. My sister was in Memphis recently and used the word "sketchy" to describe the city. However, she would have very easily used the same adjective about some places I have worked in Baltimore or DC, so I don't worry too much about a high crime rate. I survived NE DC and SW Baltimore, can't imagine much worse.

Louisville:
I don't know about this one, seems the State Fair is the major entertainment there. One drag strip, no football, nothing very exciting happening.

Dallas:
So here we have my favorite football team, Texas Motor Speedway (not to mention several drag strips), some of my family, cheap living, and a very probable job. Known for the nightlife and younger crowd. Not exactly a "hipster" place, but I'm more of a Ford truck, Harley-Davidson, and Marlboro kind of guy. Only complaint is that in my mentality, party towns are always associated with beaches. Perhaps this is different in Texas, but here the party happens at the beach (Ocean City).

Houston:
Maybe not Atlanta or Dallas in terms of racing, but still has its merits. Notable nightlife, along with a recognizable hip-hop scene. Cheap to live there, and with oil companies I may even be able to land an underwater welding job (which can pay more than some white collar jobs).

I'm also considering Tampa, Miami, Austin, Mobile, Savannah, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and there is a slight possibility of somewhere in California (don't know where yet, big place). I guess I should also specificy that on top of drag racing cars, I am looking to both drag and road race motorcycles. I am a frequent rider, so friendliness to motorcycle riders is a MAJOR factor in picking a city. Here the drivers try to kill me any chance they get, I'm looking to get away from that.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy View Post

I would definitely think twice before going someplace much warmer. While it's nice for some to not have winter/snow, remember the trade off for many of the places being mentioned, particularly Texas and Florida is essentially 8 to 9 months of summer heat and humidity. That said there are areas where you can find all of your criteria without sweating your **** off.

I'd recommend (in order) Raleigh-Durham, Nashville and Charlotte. All three are growing cities with plenty of construction and a strong presence of auto racing.

Raleigh-Durham has one of the best in the US, just east of the city
:unn-Benson Dragstrip::

Charlotte has drag racing at the Lowe's Motor Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway | Dragway

Nashville has the Superspeedway
Nashville Superspeedway (http://www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com/about/about.php - broken link)

I lived for several years in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and think after living in many places (including further south and now in the north), it has the
highest quality of life I know of. Check it out. The Research Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I would definitely think twice before going someplace much warmer. While it's nice for some to not have winter/snow, remember the trade off for many of the places being mentioned, particularly Texas and Florida is essentially 8 to 9 months of summer heat and humidity. That said there are areas where you can find all of your criteria without sweating your **** off.

I'd recommend (in order) Raleigh-Durham, Nashville and Charlotte. All three are growing cities with plenty of construction and a strong presence of auto racing.

Raleigh-Durham has one of the best in the US, just east of the city
:unn-Benson Dragstrip::

Charlotte has drag racing at the Lowe's Motor Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway | Dragway

Nashville has the Superspeedway
Nashville Superspeedway (http://www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com/about/about.php - broken link)

I lived for several years in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and think after living in many places (including further south and now in the north), it has the
highest quality of life I know of. Check it out. The Research Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I actually have family about 75 miles west of Raleigh (place is called Putnam). I never really thought much of moving back to NC, I guess Putnam is just so far out in the sticks it is hard for me to imagine NC as anything else. Raleigh is also 2 hours from Rockingham, which is a HUGE plus for me. Here at Maryland International Raceway they run a split series call MIRock, which is pure motorcycle drag racing and some of the best in the world compete there. The other track in the split is in Rockingham, so I know my kind of racing is out there.

As far as weather, I know I want warmer. I absolutely DESPISE cold weather and snow, we have little of it and I wish every year for less. Humidity in this area is regarded as some of the worst in the country, it doesn't scare me in the least. I have learned to breathe in 95+ degree weather with 80% humidity or greater, survive a few summers of that junk and not even the desert will scare you. I have spent summers in central NC and northern GA, I can easily tolerate 105+ degrees of heat with lower humidity. You complain about humidity to someone from Maryland and they will give you a stare as if you have no idea what you're talking about!

Only problem is that I'm not a young college professional. I'm a young working class person, I'm blue collar to the bone. I tried my hand at college and it was not for me, welding was for me so I stuck with it. Everywhere I hear about job opportunities it pertains to information and technology, I'm trying to find a place where I can get down in a tiny hole with 6000 degree heat and melt some metal together. I need to find a place where construction is happening. Is there a lot of construction happening in Raleigh?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Friend recommended Anaheim, said it was like LA but cheaper to live in. Basically it's the lottery in terms of racing, 5 tracks within an hour. I am willing to pay a bit more for access to certain things (such as multiple big name racing venues), and thankfully my profession does not get the short end of the stick when it comes to wages.

Any opinions on Anaheim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.