Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
For the hillbilly town you also need to add: homosexual, with someone of another race or being an arab.

Those people are also in danger in hillbilly towns.

Ever hear of a "Sundown Town", well, all throughout the south there are towns where blacks are simply excluded...

However, white people can always move into black neighborhoods.
oh the naive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I hope it's frowned upon in the ghetto-it's frowned upon by just about every group in the world including hillbillies. The only difference is that it's PC to make remarks about the hillbillies. In reality a child probably wouldn't be sexually assaulted in either environment.

So are you really saying that an attractive white woman will have less trouble walking through predominantly black ghettos than she will in mostly white hillbilly areas?

I'm curious as to why you're so keen to defend that racist post by Urbanquest.
Maybe, maybe not. At most, an attractive white woman walking through the inner-city will get hit on by the local gangsters, especially if she has a big booty and ample size boobs. I'm sure the same will happen in the country.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
If you truly think "Deliverance" was a documentary, that certainly lets us know how well-informed you are(n't)! The movie "Deliverance" was based on a best-selling novel of the same name, a work of fiction, and is hardly a documentary. True, it was filmed in the southern Appalachians, and the scenery is lovely to look upon. But a documentary?? For goodness' sake, educate yourself before you make such a silly claim!

For some reason, people always seem to want to have some place - or group of people - they don't know very well that can be viewed as "different", "scary", "dangerous" - and inferior. Terra incognita - "here be dragons". This goes way, way back - the dangerous unknown places with wild inhabitants used to be the Scottish highlands and the Irish and Welsh hinterlands. Oh, my, were the "civilized" English appalled by and scared of those wild Celts!

Then it became the American backwoods (especially the southern mountain backwoods, both Appalachian and Ozark) and/or ghettoes. Scary, scary - people LIKE to be scared, or rather, to show off how "brave" they can be when faced with such unknowns, it seems. Of course, a good dose of reality and increased familiarity with such places, their people, and their history would tell a very different story. But it's more fun to be scared by the stereotypes and add to them - if you're not from these places.

Believe me, it gets old when you do live in the mountains or nearby, or if that's your family heritage - and I expect "ghetto" dwellers could say the same.

So before making generalizations or repeating these tired old stereotypes, do some reading, if you can't visit in person, especially if you live far away from such places and have never done more than seen them on the screen or driven through without stopping.

You just reveal your own ignorance otherwise, as this thread has clearly shown.
Having taught in a city ghetto for about 30 years while I lived way out of that city backed up to farms.... I will take rural people anyday. We still live there and so do the amny people whose families have been here since the early 1800s. I would not trade my wonderful neighbors for anything.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:03 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
For the hillbilly town you also need to add: homosexual, with someone of another race or being an arab.

Ever hear of a "Sundown Town", well, all throughout the south there are towns where blacks are simply excluded...

Did you bother to read from the link that you posted?

Firstly it stated that these areas were mainly in the northern states that were not pre-Civil War slave states.
Secondly there have not been any since the late 60's early 70's.

And really, how do you think a white person is going to be accepted in Brownsville or East New York?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
I live in both affluent neighborhoods and ghettos growing up as a child. Ghettos go by rules if your "street smart" more than likely you be fine! Have friends, don't hang out with the wrong crowds and know where your at! Most people in ghettos are NOT, NOT, NOT thugs, or gangsters! While ghettos have higher crime rates, the population itself is larger. The odds of getting shot is like a needle in a hay stack. I Never had a fear of getting shot!

And this is bugging me yall do know some whites stay in ghettos with blacks right? It not a revolutionary sight, there are already whites part of the community,
Quote:
attractive white women walking though the inner-city will get hit on by the gangsters
if you mean "get hit on" as in a guys trying to get her number, any attractive women of any color would get hit on, if she looks as good as you describe. There no special treatment of white women, then there are white women who walk though the inner city this is not a radical event! People don't walk down the street thinking about gangsters, thats like worrying about germs. Yall talk about the US ghettos like they are the middle east, south America or something its not that bad.

There are hill billies towns, that the locals never even seen a minority face to face. While I don't believe most hill billies are racist, the chances of the locals lacking intercultural competence due to the lack of diversity is likely, That not an issue in ghettos. Last there are more things to do in the city surrounded by things! I rather stay in the ghetto!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
I will take the ghetto over the hill billy town any day of the week.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
A great deal of this might be a matter of what you're used to and experienced. I have little or no experience with "the ghetto" so my natural tendency was to say "hillbilly" as I lived fine in such an area. Many urbanites here are the opposite.

So as I mentioned earlier the most useful answers are from those who've really experienced both. The problem is that there is unlikely to be that many people who have really experienced both. Hillbilles usually don't spend extended amounts of time in the "ghetto" and "ghetto people" don't usually spend time in "hillbilly country." People who are from neither may not experience either. If I were to guess possibly doctors, teachers, social workers, and poverty activists might be more likely experience both. Particularly if they're in states that have a fair degree of both like Tennessee or Missouri. (Memphis I believe has "ghetto" areas and Tennessee has rural "hillbilly" places. The counties of Missouri that border Arkansas are Ozark at least to some degree while St. Louis and Kansas City have some "ghetto" type areas)

Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:

No not really. People in hillbilly towns are usually cordial, so as long as those people aren't causing a big disturbance, they wont have a problem and they will probably be treated nicely. Last summer a bunch of other college kids and I did a camp out in the middle of rural Tennessee. We had to stop in one of these hillbilly towns. I look kinda Arabic, and the person I was riding with was black. We were nervous at first but the people turned out to be really nice. They were even talking about how it was a nice town and that we should move there. Totally not what we expected from dumb racist rednecks in rural TN.

I know many people with racist parents and they say that their parents would never attack someone of another race simply because they were another race. And they would be cordial with that person because that's how Southern people treat each other regardless of race.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM

332 posts, read 644,068 times
Quote:
Yeah I am sure if this White family moved to Compton, Opa-Locka, or East St. Louis for example, that their neighbors would welcome them with open arms and make them feel right at home.
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news1663.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 02:27 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
Yeah I am sure if this White family moved to Compton, Opa-Locka, or East St. Louis for example, that their neighbors would welcome them with open arms and make them feel right at home.
Why not? As long as they are good neighbors and there are actually White people that live in those cities. Not a lot, but they are there.

Seriously though, they probably wouldn't live in a working class overwhelmingly White community. So, it's not just about race, but economics in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.