Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM

332 posts, read 644,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why not?
Only 1% of the population in those cities are White. If the Blacks in those cities are so racially tolerant and welcoming, why don't more poor working class Whites move to those cities ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:02 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
"Would you feel more scared being in a hillbilly area or a ghetto area "

Well if you believe in statistics, I would feel MUCH safer in a hillbilly area. Hard to argue that...

Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 PM

105 posts, read 250,246 times
I'd be comfortable in any big city. I grew up in the ghetto (South Bronx), so that's what I know. At the same time I've spent time in smaller, rural towns... didn't have any problems, but I prefer to be in a place that is diverse.

Last edited by I just want to know; 03-13-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 03-13-2010, 03:14 PM

332 posts, read 644,265 times
Quote:
"Would you feel more scared being in a hillbilly area or a ghetto area "

Well if you believe in statistics, I would feel MUCH safer in a hillbilly area. Hard to argue that...
If a Black person moves to a hillbilly area, at worst he or she would get a few dirty stares. If a White person moves to the ghetto, at worst he or she would end up in the emergency room due to being shot or stabbed.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
Only 1% of the population in those cities are White. If the Blacks in those cities are so racially tolerant and welcoming, why don't more poor working class Whites move to those cities ?
Ask them?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
If a Black person moves to a hillbilly area, at worst he or she would get a few dirty stares. If a White person moves to the ghetto, at worst he or she would end up in the emergency room due to being shot or stabbed.
According to what? There are White people in "ghettos" across this country and considering the stats, most people have to worry about the criminals that look like them.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
I wouldn't be "scared" anywhere (in the U.S. anyway - parts of Africa and other areas around the globe, I don't know) as I've been to some of the most gritty urban areas and rural towns in the middle of the mountains, but I would ALWAYS prefer and feel safer in a rural white area than an urban black area, since that is what the question is implying.

Black ghettoes are almost always crime-ridden as a rule. Extremely rural towns (towns of a few hundred in the mountains or forests) usually aren't stricken with crime, just poverty.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Ghetto areas by FAR! I've been to the "hood" in south Tucson, Marana, Mesa and south Phoenix. I was alert the whole time I was in these places.

Now, up till about 10 years old I lived in the sticks with your stereotypical rednecks. And I felt much more safe there.

If and/or when I leave Arizona for the South, it's going to be a rural area outside of either a small or midsize town (Mississippi? Alabama? Louisiana? Georgia?).

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Ghetto areas by FAR! I've been to the "hood" in south Tucson, Marana, Mesa and south Phoenix. I was alert the whole time I was in these places.

Now, up till about 10 years old I lived in the sticks with your stereotypical rednecks. And I felt much more safe there.

If and/or when I leave Arizona for the South, it's going to be a rural area outside of either a small or midsize town (Mississippi? Alabama? Louisiana? Georgia?).
All great choices

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 AM

128 posts, read 273,451 times
The first post seems to lead us to choose the ghetto as a more desirable place, but this isn't even a comparison. Even the worst of hillbilly towns are usually much, much safer than your average ghetto neighborhood.

Even for a black person, being in a hillbilly town probably poses less danger of physical harm than a bad ghetto area.

Someone needs to take their nose out of whatever they've been reading and look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.