Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM

70 posts, read 196,563 times

Advertisements

By center, I mean not red or blue. Not republican or democrat. Not far right or far left. An area without bleeding heart liberals or bible thumping conservatives. A place without people who vote for their party regardless of the idiot on the ballot. I guess I'm talking about swing states like Iowa but are there cities and metro areas out there that are close to the center politically? Also, which cities do you think are too far to the left or right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,885,748 times
Funny, the middle of the country (as far as cities go) are generally in the center politically.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,289,606 times
I think Iowa is the center of the country, the politicians go hard for support there.

I know this is unrelated but Portland, OR is geographically the closest city to the center of the country when you factor in Alaska & Hawaii, it sounds so weird.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,885,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think Iowa is the center of the country, the politicians go hard for support there.

I know this is unrelated but Portland, OR is geographically the closest city to the center of the country when you factor in Alaska & Hawaii, it sounds so weird.
Interesting factoid! I think the center of the 48 is somewhere in KS. not sure

Old 08-26-2009, 04:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,638,746 times
I believe incl. Alaska, it is North Dakota. I think I saw that on "Millionaire" so it must be true!

The politcal center would have to be a state that has close Presidential elections, and swings back and forth between Red/Blue. Missouri, Indiana, or Ohio, perhaps?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM

559 posts, read 1,755,119 times
center of the 50 states is in butte county, sd.
Geographic Center of the 50 States

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,509,448 times
The center of US population is in Phelps County, Missouri. Politically though Phelps looks to be fairly Republican.

Hamilton County, Iowa is in a place with a Cook Partisan Voting Index of zero and in the last 5 elections neither Presidential candidate won by more than 5%. It's a bit more Democratic than Republican by the looks of it. Webster City (a bit over 8,000) is about as big as they get.Rockingham County, New Hampshire is somewhat similar. Derry (34,000) is their biggest town.

The main "swing states" I believe are Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Mexico, and Ohio. In many cases these are states divided by a highly conservative and a highly liberal area, so more like "bipolar" or "ambivalent" than moderate. I think parts of central Iowa do seem to actually be moderate or somewhat moderate. In the last 45 years Columbus, Ohio seems to have had three Republican and two Democratic mayors. Current one is Democratic. They're in a place with a Cook Partisan Voting Index of D+1. (Slightly Democratic) Dayton is in a county that doesn't seem to strongly go one way or other.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-26-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,714,564 times
I guess you could say Virginia is in the "center" now after voting repub for 40 years. Florida imho is way too divided (North vs South) to be to the center.

You can never be "too far" to the left (just kidding ), but San Francisco and Washington D.C. could be decribed that way. Most cities tend to lean left, just in different degrees so I'm not sure you could find a city that was "too far" to the right either.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,158,442 times
The geographic center of North America is Rugby, North Dakota. I think the center of the US is somewhere in Kansas.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,585,419 times
Quote:
By center, I mean not red or blue. Not republican or democrat. Not far right or far left. An area without bleeding heart liberals or bible thumping conservatives. A place without people who vote for their party regardless of the idiot on the ballot. I guess I'm talking about swing states like Iowa but are there cities and metro areas out there that are close to the center politically? Also, which cities do you think are too far to the left or right?
So... you're basically looking for people who don't give a crap?

I've never been impressed with the idea of being a "moderate." Pick a side and go for it! One side is right and one is wrong, and you've got a 50/50 shot. Make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.