Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,683,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Connecticut.

Why?

First off, proximity to New York. Also, parts of NJ are extremely close to Philly, and parts of CT are close to Boston. Connecticut and New Jersey are both sandwiched between two major cities, but they don't have a major, major urban city themselves.

A bunch of smaller to mid-sized cities that have many, many, many probles. Tons of violence, urban decay, corrupt politics, large minority populations in a only a very small area. Cities are extremely dense and you can find numerous ethnic groups in these cities. New Jersey has Newark, Trenton, Camden, Jersey City, Irvington, Patterson. Connecticut has Bridgeport, Stamford, New Haven, Hartford, New London.

Take a trip 5 minutes beyond any of these city limits and you can be in the some of the wealthiest towns in the nation. In New Jersey you have many affluent suburbs in Northen New Jersey, especially in Bergan County. Fairfield County in Connecticut is home to tons of money, old and new. Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport and Wilton rank as having some of the highest median household incomes in the nation and all towns have home prices that go well over 1,000,000. This can be said for towns in Jersey as well. Even the non-affluent towns in these states are still expensive compared to by national standards.

Culture. Connecticut and New Jersey have large ethnic populations. I know CT has a large Albanian and Portugese population and of course Italians, as does Jersey. Large Jewish popultation, Irish, Muslim, etc.

Excellent Schools. Public schools in the rest of the country do not compare to these two states, maybe Maryland and Massachusetts.

You can be in the "country" in the matter of minutes in both states. We are talking farms, cornfields, etc.. In the opposite direction you can wide up in an industrial park.

Very similar.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, but do you really think you can be in the Jersey countryside in a matter of minutes? I mean maybe you can, but my family lives in Union County right outside the city, and IMO you'd have to drive quite a bit more than 5 minutes to be someplace rural. Yet if you're in Hartford, you can go one town north, to Bloomfield, and the western side of town near Simsbury is very woodsy and rural, with farmstands and corn fields. Your list of cities in CT with urban ills is right on, except for Stamford. It's basically Connecticut's version of White Plains, with many large companies and banks moving in to town, and it's gotten incredibly expensive like you would not believe.

IMO, they are very similar but I think CT has more of a preppy feel to it, and more of an old money atmosphere. Many towns still today have many large estates from the early 20th century (including some in my town), whereas it seems the wealthy in Jersey all live in McMansions. Aside from West and South Orange, I haven't been in any towns that really have an old money feel to it. They may very well exist, but I haven't seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, but do you really think you can be in the Jersey countryside in a matter of minutes? I mean maybe you can, but my family lives in Union County right outside the city, and IMO you'd have to drive quite a bit more than 5 minutes to be someplace rural. Yet if you're in Hartford, you can go one town north, to Bloomfield, and the western side of town near Simsbury is very woodsy and rural, with farmstands and corn fields. Your list of cities in CT with urban ills is right on, except for Stamford. It's basically Connecticut's version of White Plains, with many large companies and banks moving in to town, and it's gotten incredibly expensive like you would not believe.

IMO, they are very similar but I think CT has more of a preppy feel to it, and more of an old money atmosphere. Many towns still today have many large estates from the early 20th century (including some in my town), whereas it seems the wealthy in Jersey all live in McMansions. Aside from West and South Orange, I haven't been in any towns that really have an old money feel to it. They may very well exist, but I haven't seen them.
The "hunt" country of Somerset County, where the Forbes' and Onassis' played (and where Donald Trump today plays)! Oldwick, Bedminster, Bernardsville stink of old bucks, LOL.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM

243 posts, read 770,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

Okay, maybe more than five minutes, but you know what I mean. There are still rural areas of New Jersey, and Jersey isn't that big of a state.

As for Stamford. Don't let downtown fool you and don't let North Stamford, with all the wealth, estates and McMansions fool you either. Parts of Stamford are still very, very bad and have the same problems as a Bridgeport or a Newark. Is it becoming gentrified. Without question, purchasing a decent home in Stamford will cost you a good deal, and for what? The schools aren't as good as surrounding towns and you have to deal with the city problems, such as bad areas only minutes away and higher taxes.

As for CT having more of a preppy feel, yes without question. However Connecticut has a rich history and a WASPY culture that dates back many, many years which leads many to believe this. It still holds true today.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM

58 posts, read 122,657 times
Quote:
like i said, its a preppy version of NJ. its more woodsy. 70% of NJ looks urban imo

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,707,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
There are still rural areas of New Jersey, and Jersey isn't that big of a state.
About that, it depends on your definition of "rural." You have Montana rural, Alabama rural, and East Long Island "rural." I just don't consider being within 10 min. of a strip mall no matter where you live "rural." So unless you live in the Pine Barrens , if you live in New Jersey you don't live in a rural area.

I strongly agree with the last 10 or so posts though. Connecticut is a less depressing version of New Jersey. Also, NJ is the 2nd wealthiest state and CT is the third (MD is 1st). I would say Massachusetts and Maryland are also similar to NJ/CT as well, especially on paper.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:14 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
There are still rural areas of New Jersey, and Jersey isn't that big of a state.
Take a trip to Vermont and then try claiming NJ has "rural" areas.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,068,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
About that, it depends on your definition of "rural." You have Montana rural, Alabama rural, and East Long Island "rural." I just don't consider being within 10 min. of a strip mall no matter where you live "rural." So unless you live in the Pine Barrens , if you live in New Jersey you don't live in a rural area.

I strongly agree with the last 10 or so posts though. Connecticut is a less depressing version of New Jersey. Also, NJ is the 2nd wealthiest state and CT is the third (MD is 1st). I would say Massachusetts and Maryland are also similar to NJ/CT as well, especially on paper.
I mean...based on what, exactly?

Additionally, NJ has a lot of acres of greenland, rurul no? Wooded? Absolutely.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 PM

403 posts, read 1,185,879 times
Quote:

I strongly agree with the last 10 or so posts though. Connecticut is a less interesting version of New Jersey. Also, NJ is the 2nd wealthiest state and CT is the third (MD is 1st). I would say Massachusetts and Maryland are also similar to NJ/CT as well, especially on paper.
Fixed for you

Old 09-03-2009, 06:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,707,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Fixed for you
lol why thank you I can't believe I screwed up like that...Connecticut is less "interesting" if you consider the crime in Newark, Trenton, and Camden "interesting."

Now before everyone lunges at my throat, I'm not putting down NJ, it's a great place to live. I'm just saying the facts point out that some of NJ's towns are more dangerous than what you'd find in CT, and that includes Bridgeport.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
lol why thank you I can't believe I screwed up like that...Connecticut is less "interesting" if you consider the crime in Newark, Trenton, and Camden "interesting."

Now before everyone lunges at my throat, I'm not putting down NJ, it's a great place to live. I'm just saying the facts point out that some of NJ's towns are more dangerous than what you'd find in CT, and that includes Bridgeport.
but what they have in common is crime is really contained in those cities - next to these crime ridden places are probably some of the most affluent and safe places in the country. it's quite a contrast to other states/cities, where crime spreads out into the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.