Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is D.C. northeast?
No, it borders Virginia which is most def. the South! It doesn't have the traditional Northeastern climate or culture either. 32 35.56%
Yes, it is too far north to be considered a southern state. 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
As someone who lives just on the other side of the Potomac I'm surprised to read this. I'm not saying that southern accents do not exist in VA, because they do. But it's not close to 90% of the whole population. I might hear a good accent maybe once or twice a week. There are varying degrees of the accent as well, in some people only some words may be accented, in others their entire speech may be heavily accented. Others may just have a barely noticeable accent. I wouldn't even be able to tell you from what areas of the state where people are from based on their accent. Or from other southern states for that matter. I would say that there is about 40% with a real good thick accent here, 20% in between, and 40% with no real discernable accent. In any of VA's larger metros you will be hard pressed to find an accent, but in the country/rural areas it's more common.
In terms of population 40% is probably about right. I was thinking about area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
I swear I'm tired of these "Virginia-DC;south or north" topics.

Can't we just say that Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Delaware are the Mid-Atlantic and leave it alone?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

Can't we just say that Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Delaware are the Mid-Atlantic and leave it alone?
I agree. Everyone has their own opinion(including me) and nobody agrees. It's almost as if the civil war lives on in city-data.

I say lets create another east coast subregion of the original 13 colonies and call it New Britain! He He

Just kidding!

Ciao

Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

No body questions VA, and you can add DE to that, but I agree. They need to ban these threads...

Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
No body questions VA, and you can add DE to that, but I agree. They need to ban these threads...
I wish they would..all I will say is that I think Virginia belongs in the South Atlantic states, not the Mid-Atlantic. Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and New York are how I would define the Mid-Atlantic. Culturally, Virginia just does not fit in with Maryland or Delaware.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Some people on these threads would even make Maine and Alaska the South, if they could.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Some people on these threads would even make Maine and Alaska the South, if they could.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Anyone who would try and put Virginia North Carolina, or even Florida in the North simply has no understanding of history, culture, etc. Virginia and North Carolina have always been, and always will be, Southern states. There is pretty much nothing either of these states have done that can separate them from the rest of the South in any way, shape, or form. And they remain culturally Southern to this very day. Florida much less so, but 60 years ago it was as Dixie as anything, and it certainly has more similarities to the South today than it does to anyplace else in the U.S. VA, NC, and FL all legally seceded from the Union and to this day retain a noticeable amount of Southern culture.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,263 times
My definition:

Mid-Atlantic = DC, Va, Md, De, maybe Wv

Northeast = Pa, Nj, Ny, Ct, Ma, Ri, Nh, Vt, Me

New England = Ct, Ma, Ri, Nh, Vt, Me

Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,724,376 times
DC has a southern history, and the highways in No VA named after Confederate generals could throw a northeasterner, not to mention the fact Robert E. Lee lived here, and the Redskins used to be known as "the team of the south". I also know a few people over 45, who are natives, and have southern accents. But the modern culture here is clearly northern. Neighorhoods like Dupont, Logan Circle, and Adams-Morgan look like they could be in NY or Bos, but not Charlotte or Atlanta.

One often overlooked factor is the Southern Baptist church has virtually no presence here, but its membership numbers pick up quickly as you soon as you hit Stafford County, about 40 miles south of DC. Contrast that to Northern Kentucky across the river from Cincy - where the Southern Baptist Church's numbers rise quickly as soon as you cross the state line. Moreover, the towns near the Cincy airport in Northern Kentucky are filled with southern accents, far harder to find that around Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia. Transition from north to south is slow in the east from northern MD to central VA, while the transition from midwest to South occurs very quickly crossing from OH to KY.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Anyone who would try and put Virginia North Carolina, or even Florida in the North simply has no understanding of history, culture, etc. Virginia and North Carolina have always been, and always will be, Southern states. There is pretty much nothing either of these states have done that can separate them from the rest of the South in any way, shape, or form. And they remain culturally Southern to this very day. Florida much less so, but 60 years ago it was as Dixie as anything, and it certainly has more similarities to the South today than it does to anyplace else in the U.S. VA, NC, and FL all legally seceded from the Union and to this day retain a noticeable amount of Southern culture.
I agree..I don't see how somebody can honestly say that all of Virginia is pure midatlantic. Somebody from Lynchburg, Danville, many in Richmond, Roanoke, Abington etc..would be noticably different in accent and lifestyle in a room with people from DC, MD, or DE. Many people I know from DC consider Richmond down as southern also and country. People from these parts of VA are much more similar to people in NC, KY, and southern WV (Upper south).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.