Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is D.C. northeast?
No, it borders Virginia which is most def. the South! It doesn't have the traditional Northeastern climate or culture either. 32 35.56%
Yes, it is too far north to be considered a southern state. 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
My definition:

Mid-Atlantic = DC, Va, Md, De, maybe Wv

Northeast = Pa, Nj, Ny, Ct, Ma, Ri, Nh, Vt, Me

New England = Ct, Ma, Ri, Nh, Vt, Me
The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic aren't entirely seperate, but again it depends on who you ask.

New England+Mid-Atlantic=Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Maryland has a number of accents, and you likely won't hear a Southern one since it's spoken by a tiny minority of residents on the Eastern Shore. Virginia is 90% Southern, including the accents. DC afaik has no recognizable accent (neither does its immediate suburbs in MD or VA).
WHAT?! DC has a very very unique accent. Especially with the way the letter R is pronounced. They have so many different words. Now the thing is that white DC natives don't have this accent just black folks but to say there is no accent at all especially in the Maryland suburbs is false. Some black folks on the VA side have this accent too by the way.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Virginia, DC, Maryland, and Delaware are the four places that are usually questioned on being the North or the South. It should be quite evident that neither of these states can really belong to either.

Some of you say that Virginia is not culturally the same as the North, but down here in the South many people laugh at the idea of VA being considered one of us.

They don't have to be one or the other...they're Mid-Atlantic. As they are in the middle.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
After living in the South, there is not way my D.C. is or will ever be South. We have Northern attitudes!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
but down here in the South many people laugh at the idea of VA being considered one of us.
Northern VA is not the south, but Richmond certainly is.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 AM

386 posts, read 987,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I agree, and when you start going south and west of that area VA feels unquestionably southern with the exception of tidewater which is a military area. I grew up in southside va (southcentral) and knew many people who lived in the area from the Carolinas and Alabama, Tennessee, who said that the area was southern in every way. Now in tidewater I hear different responses from folk from the deep south about how southern the area is not.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Well many southerners don't agree with that. And who knows the South better than a southerner?

And like I said, if south VA was definitely the South, then there wouldn't be so much disagreement about it.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well many southerners don't agree with that. And who knows the South better than a southerner?

And like I said, if south VA was definitely the South, then there wouldn't be so much disagreement about it.
I like to think I"m a southerner (originally from GA) and I would say that south VA is the south. The thing about Virginia is that its not all southern. Here in northern VA I definitely know I'm not in the south anymore. Going back to accents there are a few older folks over 40 from northern VA who have slight very very slight southern accents. Now the tidewater area is different I've met a few younger folks from the area and none of them had anything close to an accent. So Virginia is an odd state because it can't be classified into one region or the other. It isn't all northern, it isn't all southern either. Richmond is definitely the south while here in northern VA I know I'm up north. I remember when I moved up here and a friend/ex kept sending me texts calling me a yankee.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Like I've said before. Richmond is where the transition begins. Once you hit DC, it's almost gone. DC people don't act or talk like anyone in Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston,etc

You tell DC people they are southern, they'll laugh at you. You tell them they are northern, they'll laugh at you. They will admit they are influenced by NYC though.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Like I've said before. Richmond is where the transition begins. Once you hit DC, it's almost gone. DC people don't act or talk like anyone in Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston,etc

You tell DC people they are southern, they'll laugh at you. You tell them they are northern, they'll laugh at you. They don't consider themselves anything, but will admit they are influenced by NYC.
Yeah I can roll with that. They're always saying Mid-Atlantic on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.