Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

I enjoy the grit of older cities, these new cities seem like somebody designed them on simcity. Older have new cities all around them their called the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
New cities = modern corporate america, clean/fake looking, usually a lot of materialistic people who have lack of culture. mostly subdivisions, shopping malls (with mostly chain stores/ restaurants, but there is some unique, cultural restaurants and stores). schools, and recreation centers.

Old cities = Cities that were built when settlers first came to america bringing culture from all around Europe and other places to it. Unique homes, unique restaurants and stores, plus the regular chain stores and restaurants. More unique in general than new cities.

I live in a new city right now and i enjoy it. I would like living in an older city someday though.
Really? It is quite interesting that many people who populate these "new cities" come from the "old cities", which begs the question: Do these older cities ALSO have materialistic people with no culture (and let's add class to that as well)? The answer is, YES.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:53 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Really? It is quite interesting that many people who populate these "new cities" come from the "old cities", which begs the question: Do these older cities ALSO have materialistic people with no culture (and let's add class to that as well)? The answer is, YES.
Or left because of their jobs or the job market in their hometown.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Me, I prefer an older city because I like old buildings. We can't afford to build them like they used to.

BUT if it were winter and I had to choose, it would be Orlando over Buffalo any day.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
your right, i was just saying they seem more common in newer cities

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
Old cities have more character to them with the architecture of buildings and how the streets are laid out. I like thinking about all the stories throughout the years that happened on that particular street corner or in that building. Everything about them is just more interesting, especially if there is a lot of historical significance to the area. I also like how the downtowns feel like another universe compared with newer cities where the downtowns just look like suburbs with tall buildings. New cities also lack impressive distinct neighborhoods, each with their own character. New cities may have all the creature comforts, but they just don't do it for me. For instance, I live in a little town of 24,000 that was founded in 1747 and has more individual neighborhoods than many of the big new cities. While small, has a historic downtown with a plethora of historic buildings also lacking in the big new cities.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What are the advantages of living in a newer city (say like Orlando or Las Vegas) where most of the growth has occurred in the last few decades, vs living in an older more established city, like NYC or St Louis?
Older cities have a soul and character; full of history...you see the city's evolution by looking at the architecture.Generally they have a better central core that is more vibrant and less sprawled out.In my opinion they are more liveable and pedestrian/bicycle friendly.

Here in Sarasota more than half the city has no sidewalks...just for example.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I like new cities because of the way they are constructed. You can go up to a newer building and just throw a sledgehammer through the wall. It's cool. The people inside act all suprised!

Try that on some dumb, old building. The sledge will just bounce right off leaving littlee more than a nick. Also, new cities are less dense so they take up more space that was recently nature. Less of those dumb bunnies and deer to muck up the super highways with their carcasses.

ABQConvict

Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqconvict View Post
i like new cities because of the way they are constructed. You can go up to a newer building and just throw a sledgehammer through the wall. It's cool. The people inside act all suprised!

Try that on some dumb, old building. The sledge will just bounce right off leaving littlee more than a nick. Also, new cities are less dense so they take up more space that was recently nature. Less of those dumb bunnies and deer to muck up the super highways with their carcasses.

Abqconvict
lol:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.