Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear if this forum (or any similar one) has altered the way the way that you think about any particular cities.

Have the photos you've seen, and the descriptions people have given of a city help to clear up any misconceptions? Have they had a serious influence on a decision to visit or move to a city?

For me, there are a few:

Calgary - The only thing I really knew about Calgary was its association with rodeos, so I didn't expect too much of the city. I was blown away by photos of its skyline. It seems like a beautiful and vibrant city.

Cincinnati - I didn't know much about it, or have very high expectations, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the impressive housing stock and architecture of the city.

Los Angeles -I always associated it with the auto-centric culture and sprawling highways -I didn't really know about the breadth of more urban options in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:28 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Seattle-- The people that told me about the "Seattle Freeze" were very right! I was thinking about moving there, but they told me about it and at first I thought they were crazy. I went down there and it turned out to be true, at least from my experience.

California-- People had reported in the past to me about how the economy was bad there for a while. That has kept me from taking off to San Francisco. I think it was also this site where I learned about SF costing more than L.A. in terms of cost of living.

Wise Owl, what do you mean by "breadth of more urban options"? I thought it was auto-centric too and have heard from people that if you don't have a license then forget about moving to L.A. I'm very interested in hearing more.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
yes this forum has kinda influenced my perception of some cities

Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Made me realize there are boasters everywhere who are provincial and have a warped perception of where their city stands and compares to others in context of usa/world....I swear, several places I have lived, then seen users talking about it ...they don't match up.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Philadelphia: Before joining City-Data I didn't really even think too much of the city ,but now I'm really interested in visiting and learning more about it.

Chicago: My expectations for Chicago have kind of went down considering the things I've heard on here. I'd still be interested in visiting, and also could maybe live there. However, I'm a little iffy about it now.

Atlanta: Really would love to visit one day. Before joining, I had no idea how diverse and big Atlanta really was. I though it was about the size of San Antonio or Austin (Yes I was once that stupid). Me being a black man is not what strikes my interest, but the fact of what's offered there and the tons of attractions. My friend moving there and telling me about it also made me more curious.

New York City: Just like about every one else; I use to look up to NYC and use to dream of moving there. Growing up and coming to my senses; also joining city data helped me understand I'd be better off in Texas and really wouldn't enjoy living there. I still definitely want to visit, but living there would be out of the question.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,648 times
This forum has made me realize how provincial and closeminded some NYC people are

This forum has also made me realize how nice some lesser known cities are that I have visited little like Omaha, Indy, Des Moines, Kansas City, St Louis and Milwaukee

Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
No this forum has not changed my impression of any cities. Also I have always had the plan to move out of the city I currently reside, which will come in play when I attend college next fall. So I did not need a influence to move away from Lansing, as I've experienced horribleness in this city alone.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Made me realize there are boasters everywhere who are provincial and have a warped perception of where their city stands and compares to others in context of usa/world....I swear, several places I have lived, then seen users talking about it ...they don't match up.
What are some cities that have been boosted up, but didn't match up, in your opinion?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
I am curious to hear if this forum (or any similar one) has altered the way the way that you think about any particular cities.

Have the photos you've seen, and the descriptions people have given of a city help to clear up any misconceptions? Have they had a serious influence on a decision to visit or move to a city?

For me, there are a few:

Calgary - The only thing I really knew about Calgary was its association with rodeos, so I didn't expect too much of the city. I was blown away by photos of its skyline. It seems like a beautiful and vibrant city.

Cincinnati - I didn't know much about it, or have very high expectations, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the impressive housing stock and architecture of the city.

Los Angeles -I always associated it with the auto-centric culture and sprawling highways -I didn't really know about the breadth of more urban options in the city.
YES; San Francisco...I used to love it but... .

Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
It hasn't changed my views at all, but I've been to most of the large cities and studied them a lot.

I have noticed there are certain cities that people who aren't even from there or live there will spend a lot of their time almost obsessively bashing for no logical reason.

I've noticed a lot more negative views of cities based on the statements from their residents than positive ones. There are a lot of cities with people who think everyone who doesn't desire to live in their city are stupid! It really makes you look arrogant and naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.