Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you travel every day?
Bus 12 37.50%
Train 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Shopping everyday for 5 minutes (or 15-20 minutes every 3-4 days) in a small market with no lines and a clerk that knows your name is much nicer than circling the parking lot looking for the perfect parking spot, battling all the super moms at Wal-Mart for the sale items, and waiting in line for 10 minutes to check out. If you've never experienced it, you should try it - but it doesn't work in a world that is dominated by the car (hence why everything is so spread out in the suburbs). If you've ever traveled to a real city for an extended amount of time (long enough to where you actually cook your own meals from time to time), then you would know what I'm talking about.
Been to a real city for an extended period of time. wouldn't ride the mass transit for any amount of money. Plus are you saying that "Jackson, MS" is a "real city"? LOL, I've been to Jackson plenty of times, you need to get out more.

I shop once a week for 6 people in the family and have never once in YEARS of driving to the grocery store circled the parking lot. I drive in the lot, park (about a 30 second "ordeal"), go in grab a cart and do my shopping (in and out in 20 - 25 minutes flat INCLUDING checking out). The check-outs all know who I am, and most of them even know where I live even though it is a large store. Load the stuff in the truck (another 1 or 2 minute ordeal) then a 5 minute drive back home covering the 4 miles between home and the store, without traffic. Park 20 feet from the door in the driveway and it takes just 2 or 3 minutes to haul it all inside.

Your argument doesn't hold water. Just because YOU like to do something one way, doesn't mean it is the "right" way to do it, or any other way is longer and more trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Car. Love driving. Driving is freedom.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
I travel by both. You should have included that option.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Been to a real city for an extended period of time. wouldn't ride the mass transit for any amount of money. Plus are you saying that "Jackson, MS" is a "real city"? LOL, I've been to Jackson plenty of times, you need to get out more.

I shop once a week for 6 people in the family and have never once in YEARS of driving to the grocery store circled the parking lot. I drive in the lot, park (about a 30 second "ordeal"), go in grab a cart and do my shopping (in and out in 20 - 25 minutes flat INCLUDING checking out). The check-outs all know who I am, and most of them even know where I live even though it is a large store. Load the stuff in the truck (another 1 or 2 minute ordeal) then a 5 minute drive back home covering the 4 miles between home and the store, without traffic. Park 20 feet from the door in the driveway and it takes just 2 or 3 minutes to haul it all inside.

Your argument doesn't hold water. Just because YOU like to do something one way, doesn't mean it is the "right" way to do it, or any other way is longer and more trouble.
Actually, I never brought Jackson into the discussion, and (this might shock you a bit, so make sure you're sitting down) I get my groceries the same way you do. Why? Because I don't have any other option. If I were to live in a bigger city with more options, I definitely would stop by the market every 1-3 days on my way home rather than driving.

The problem is that America has evolved into an asphalt maze over the past 60 years filling up with more and more traffic every year, hence the reason why you and I both drive to get groceries. Does it make sense? Sure - for now. But what will we do when gas prices reach $10/gallon? The suburbs keep getting further and further from downtowns, and most of the sought after jobs are downtown. So, you end up spending more time on the freeways, at the red lights, and in the parking lots - which is stressful considering it takes much of your attention to drive and everyone is trying to get home as fast as possible. I would much rather take public transit and/or walk, which makes the idea of stopping by the market very appealing.

I know it's a different mindset than what you have developed over time, but there are millions of people who do this everyday. That is why I am already preparing to be more centrally located in the future, so that all my necessities are within walking distance.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Neither of your choices are available here.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
Car isn't really freedom. Your at the mercy of the traffic. That's why I prefer rail. No traffic, very reliable.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Car isn't really freedom. Your at the mercy of the traffic. That's why I prefer rail. No traffic, very reliable.
Also, when you get into an accident in your own car, you have to deal with insurance, getting your mode of transportation fixed, finding a new ride while yours is getting fixed, paying for it if it's your fault, and potentially going to court to fight the insurance companies (which is occurring more often these days).

If you're on a public bus and get into a wreck, you simply get off the bus and get on another one.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 PM

19 posts, read 41,964 times
I work in Philadelphia and take the train daily.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I use my helicopter

Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I use my helicopter
I use a pogo stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.