Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times

Advertisements

Why does anybody really need to know someone's race? Being able to accurately distinguish races is not really a valuable skill because there is nothing to gain from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why does anybody really need to know someone's race? Being able to accurately distinguish races is not really a valuable skill because there is nothing to gain from it.
Good point re: racial differences because they're so broad and usually compare people from distant proximity. Distinguishing "ethnic" differences as opposed to racial differences sometimes can help explain misunderstandings between people in close proximity.

For instance in Italy my girlfriend explained the huge distrust between the Northern Italians and the Southern Italians. The Northerners call the Southerners "Terroni" -- which is a derogatory term that means something like "people who live off the land."

Funny that the North/South divide occurs in smaller countries as much as it occurs in the U.S. The industrial/sophisticated north vs. the more rural/traditional South. Same in Germany, France, Spain.

In England it's different. There it's usually the South that is the sophisticated and "preferred" region of the country and the "grim" industrial North that is considered more backward. Part of the English divide is ethnic I believe. The Anglo-Saxon south vs the more Celtic north? Anyone from the UK able to clarify?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Suppose you have a non-English-speaking Asian in distress that you want to help but their ethnicity has to be determined to find them a translator quickly?

OK, that's a stretch.

For me, it's just fascination with the whole genetics/culture world.

Only a few years ago did I find out that the Japanese are not native to Japan. They marginalized the Ainu, who are the original inhabitants. I find this stuff interesting.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Maybe not in the US, but in some places it's a matter of survival.

The Kenyan woman I mentioned a few posts ago was from the Luo tribe (Kenya's official languages are English and Swahili, plus you know your tribal language). Her brother, who lived in Jersey City, was married to a woman from another tribe that in Kenya would be absolutely unacceptable for a Luo to marry into. Over there, someone would be able to spot this in an instant and there could be big trouble.

In Jersey City, no one would notice, or care and probably not even realize these people came from Africa at all. She spent most of her childhood in the US, and her grandfather in Kenya berated her for not speaking "proper" English--she talks like an American.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,404 times
Arrow Italiani

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
I was surprised by how many native Italians when I was over there were so "German" looking. Yet they have that Italian sensuality on top of the more Northern European features. They were also tall and skinny.
And I was surprised by how many native Italians when I was over there were so "Indonesian" looking.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
I just had an eye-popping experience, meeting my first albino black person at a Rehab facility I work in. White as a sheet, but he's black.

I asked some of the black black's at work about this, and they explained to me the phenomena of albino blacks, some even with blonde hair.

Learn something new every day!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just had an eye-popping experience, meeting my first albino black person at a Rehab facility I work in. White as a sheet, but he's black.

I asked some of the black black's at work about this, and they explained to me the phenomena of albino blacks, some even with blonde hair.

I assume you mean the Blacks who aren't pigmentally-challenged.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

LOL!
I'd say, as Akhneto06 puts it, Blacks who are not albino. A lot of Blacks have light skin and/or grey/violet/green/blue eyes and/or blond/red hair.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
LOL!
I'd say, as Akhneto06 puts it, Blacks who are not albino. A lot of Blacks have light skin and/or grey/violet/green/blue eyes and/or blond/red hair.
One of the most beautiful woman I've ever seen was from Jamaica with mixed ancestry. Flawless, cocoa butter skin and light blue eyes. She even made Rihanna, who has similar ancestry, look busted! And that's hard to do!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,687 times
Haitians tend to be smaller than most Caribbean blacks, with rounder heads aswell. Jamaicans are usually tall and skinny. and Bahamians are in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.