Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times

Advertisements

It would be nearly impossible to be a new homeowner of a single family home in a nice neighborhood in the Washington DC area today. Because we bought our home 10 years ago when prices were more reasonable, it is possible to survive today on middle class wages. But not for a newcomer today.

I wonder if there is any place left where one can be a middle class person and own a nice home and live a comfortable middle class lifestyle. But with a healthy job market. (Many places have affordable housing but there is 2000 applicants for a single job opening at Walmart)

Last edited by Dingler; 04-30-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,929 times
I dont think people on the East coast are familiar with the situation in the mid-west every city besides Minneapolis and Chicago has lots of vacant houses and the housing market has been depressed for years and it shows. The midwest didnt have a bubble in the first place and its gotten weaker and weaker over the last several years.

It all depends on what sort of environment you want as far as where its very affordable. If you want a very safe, small city that has 10 minute commutes try to Sioux Falls, Fargo or Duluth. If you want a medium-sized affordable place which has alot of amenities but has low commute times and is very easy to live in try Des Moines, Omaha or Wichita (probubly the cheapest out of three) If you like a larger city with more amenities then Louisville, Oklahoma City or Fort Worth would more then likely fit your needs. If you like being near the mountains Greeley, Colorado which is just NE of Denver.

Here are some cities
Ohio cities (Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo)
Indiana (Indianapolis, Fort Wayne)
Louisville (Louisville)
Iowa (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo)
Nebraska (Omaha, Lincoln)
Kansas (Wichita)
Colorado (Pueblo, Greeley)
Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, Tulsa)
Missouri (Kansas City, St. Louis)
South Dakota (Sioux Falls)
North Dakota (Fargo)

I would say all the midwestern cities except for Minneapolis and Chicago in fact.

As far as the west probubly much fewer and far between maybe Cheyenne, Wyoming and in Pueblo and Greeley, Colorado could probubly fit that label.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
ditto Wichita, AOL just listed the top 5 or so areas where real estate continues to experience steady growth and Wichita was on the list. I have family in the 'burbs of Wichita, blue collar workers, and they live quite comfortably.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I dont think people on the East coast are familiar with the situation in the mid-west every city besides Minneapolis and Chicago has lots of vacant houses and the housing market has been depressed for years and it shows. The midwest didnt have a bubble in the first place and its gotten weaker and weaker over the last several years.

It all depends on what sort of environment you want as far as where its very affordable. If you want a very safe, small city that has 10 minute commutes try to Sioux Falls, Fargo or Duluth. If you want a medium-sized affordable place which has alot of amenities but has low commute times and is very easy to live in try Des Moines, Omaha or Wichita (probubly the cheapest out of three) If you like a larger city with more amenities then Louisville, Oklahoma City or Fort Worth would more then likely fit your needs. If you like being near the mountains Greeley, Colorado which is just NE of Denver.

Here are some cities
Louisville (Louisville)
Kansas (Wichita)
North Dakota (Fargo)

I would say all the midwestern cities except for Minneapolis and Chicago in fact.

As far as the west probubly much fewer and far between maybe Cheyenne, Wyoming and in Pueblo and Greeley, Colorado could probubly fit that label.
Our friend NAH should see this list. Besides the relatively inexpensive housing, he'll have the cooler temps he seeks as well as access to some amenities that I suspect he will realize he misses once in the OC.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

Here are some cities
Louisville (Louisville)
Kansas (Wichita)
North Dakota (Fargo)

All of those places might be inexpensive, but I don't know if many Midwestern cities outside of Chicago and Minneapolis address the other part of the question, which is also having a healthy job market.

For the most part, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Texas all have very strong economies with relatively inexpensive housing even in the largest metro areas.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Miami has a horrible job market and is unreasonably expensive. I can't explain this.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has a horrible job market and is unreasonably expensive. I can't explain this.
There's a significant number of second/vacation home owners in that market, so the demand for real estate goes beyond the full-time residents.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
Ever feel like we are all running out of places to go to

Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,498 times
Oregonrain -
still lots of places left to try but the way things are now and given my age, I doubt I'll ever be a homeowner on a single parent salary. Even a small starter bungalow is beyond our budget, the ones I have seen haven't been near to good (not great) salaries. I think we missed the chance by not buying sooner. Still...

hope springs eternal..

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,944 times
The Atlanta area is very affordable and has a lot of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.