Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
It look wonderful but I think it would be a bit too much winter for me.
The winter is a wonderful time of the year filled with activities. I would not eliminate areas based soley on weather.In addition SE PA has mild winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Thank you ckhthankgod. I absolutely love this area (I'm from Ontario) but just don't think I can do that kind of winter anymore after living in AZ. Maybe I should rethink it a little more. Do you live in the area?
Yes and the winter varies within the state. I think a place like New Paltz might be your cup of tea, because it is more Downstate and closer to NYC. It's still small town America-ish, but has an artsy feel to it as well. That's the same with the other cities, especially Ithaca, which is very cosmopolitan and artsy for it's size. Very good city for those into Co-ops and the vegetarian scene.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Most of the towns on Lake Michigan would fill the bill. Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Menominee-Marinette, Escanaba, Traverse City, Petosky, Muskegon. A few, like Charlevoix and Sturgeon Bay have become too ritzyditzy.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 210,765 times
I second the West Chester recommendation. Winters in southeastern PA are not as bad as elsewhere in the northeast, and the amount of snow is nominal at best. The heat column coming off Philly pushes weather patterns up and away so everything within a 20 mile radius of the city gets little snow. Other than the winter aspect, this town fits the bill in every category - safe, home grown retail & restaurants, artsy, lots of activities, get to Philly (and it's international airport) in 40-90 min. 2 hr from DC, NYC, and NJ, DE, & MD beaches, 2hrs from rural mountain towns (skiing, hiking, etc). Also Media, PA is great but 30 min closer to the city with a trolly that runs from the center of town to center city Philadelphia so you would get better mass transit there.

You may also want to check the Carolinas if winter is that big of a deal for you. Chapel Hill, NC (near Raleigh) may do the trick.

Generally speaking, I find that artsy small towns either have a University, or are located close to a major city, but preferably both. Since most major cities are in the northeast, you may have to find some sort of compromise - more winter for more culture or less winter for less culture. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule...

Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
I second the West Chester recommendation. Winters in southeastern PA are not as bad as elsewhere in the northeast, and the amount of snow is nominal at best. The heat column coming off Philly pushes weather patterns up and away so everything within a 20 mile radius of the city gets little snow. Other than the winter aspect, this town fits the bill in every category - safe, home grown retail & restaurants, artsy, lots of activities, get to Philly (and it's international airport) in 40-90 min. 2 hr from DC, NYC, and NJ, DE, & MD beaches, 2hrs from rural mountain towns (skiing, hiking, etc). Also Media, PA is great but 30 min closer to the city with a trolly that runs from the center of town to center city Philadelphia so you would get better mass transit there.

You may also want to check the Carolinas if winter is that big of a deal for you. Chapel Hill, NC (near Raleigh) may do the trick.

Generally speaking, I find that artsy small towns either have a University, or are located close to a major city, but preferably both. Since most major cities are in the northeast, you may have to find some sort of compromise - more winter for more culture or less winter for less culture. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule...
Thanks TehStone, I appreciate your help and will check it further, does it go below freezing there, do you need a winter coat and boots etc.?

I agree with this 'you may have to find some sort of compromise - more winter for more culture or less winter for less culture. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule..'

Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most of the towns on Lake Michigan would fill the bill. Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Menominee-Marinette, Escanaba, Traverse City, Petosky, Muskegon. A few, like Charlevoix and Sturgeon Bay have become too ritzyditzy.
Isn't that cold in the winter...it sounds it!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The winter is a wonderful time of the year filled with activities. I would not eliminate areas based soley on weather.In addition SE PA has mild winters.
Are they sunny? that would make it bearable for me!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 210,765 times
Quote:
Thanks TehStone, I appreciate your help and will check it further, does it go below freezing there, do you need a winter coat and boots etc.?
Yes it does go below freezing. A winter coat is not required, but if you skip the winter coat, you're going to need to dress in layers (with a windbreaker on top) which is what I do. but then again I don't mind the cold now after going to college in mountains that were punished with lake effect snow.

It's usually pretty sunny even in winter with not a lot of precip (certainly more than AZ). Here is a chart of temperature averages and other weather data so you can decide for yourself: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...efer=&s=464963 On that website you can compare other areas to your local weather in Sedona. Jan-Feb-Mar show the biggest difference between West Chester, PA and Sedona, AZ. It's a good 10 degrees colder on average...

Last edited by TehStone; 09-08-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 AM

259 posts, read 732,188 times
PA can get quite cold in the winter. comparing PA with AZ is silly.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
If you were willing to give winter a try again, I'd recommend Madison, WI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.