Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... northern california, pac nw... heck coastal california all the way down...If you want the snow and colder just drive vertically.
What is an air conditioner?
Also what is this humidity thing you are talking about?
I would skip the upper midwest... unless you want an equally brutal winter imo...plus it still can get very humid particularly in Wisconsin and Minnesota...Camping in July in Wisconsin... bad idea, unless you want to be hot sticky and eaten by mosquitos.
You really need to get west of rockies if humidity is an issue for you.
WI is not humid and sticky for more than a few days here and there. I live in the general area and while it can get hot and sticky for a few days, it usually is puncuated by nice, cool, dry Canadian air masses that drop the temps and humidities drastically within a matter of hours sometimes. I have run the A/C a total of 10 days all summer. How about you in CA?

If the OP doesnt like high heat in summer, how does Wausau's forecast look? Just about perfect.

Wausau, Wisconsin (54401) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,268,896 times
ehh...
Alaska??
Where in Montana did you live????
I know Billings can get a little warm, but Montana hot???? Maybe warm at best.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,831,942 times
It doesn't get hot here where I am on the Oregon coast. Most people don't have A/C because they don't need it. It's in the mid 60's right now. here is the forecast North Bend, Oregon (97459) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Winter time brings rain and gloom. It's a trade off.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:51 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
WI is not humid and sticky for more than a few days here and there. I live in the general area and while it can get hot and sticky for a few days, it usually is puncuated by nice, cool, dry Canadian air masses that drop the temps and humidities drastically within a matter of hours sometimes. I have run the A/C a total of 10 days all summer. How about you in CA?

If the OP doesnt like high heat in summer, how does Wausau's forecast look? Just about perfect.

Wausau, Wisconsin (54401) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Do not have an a/c, don't need one. Most people don't have a/c's here. So, never. look up sf weather, i'm 4 miles from the coast so very similar. average high for july is 66. sep is average high is 70 and that is hottest month of the year. really doesn't change much in winter...either average high is 57 in january. now if I were to drive over into sacramento it might be 100, or keep going into tahoe and it could be below 32 at night.

Yeah I just meant it can still get that way, it is certainly not FL or the South...
I suppose I had a bad experience camping there but it was definietely uncomfortable (for somebody who grew up in FL)

Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM

467 posts, read 709,823 times
San Francisco is your best option for weather, solely. Don't go buying a house there if you can't afford it. Those with pleasant summers, don't usually have pleasant winters. Take that into account.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,234,585 times
Would you mind long wet but-not-so-cold winters? Also, since "hot" is relative, it's a little hard to guess what you consider hot. My husband gets hot when it hits 75; for me, it's never "hot" until it reaches 85 or better.

Also, would you have to look for work? Because the following states are in ****-poor economic situations right now (but less sure of Washington):

Here's some guestimations:

California
Anywhere in the north to central coast.
San Francisco or anywhere in Marin County.

Oregon
Willamette Valley Area.
Anywhere along the coast.
Klamath Falls.
Avoid anywhere in eastern Oregon (HOT high desert).
Bend is smack-dab in central Oregon, cold snowy winters but hot longer summers than Portland.

Washington
Seattle.
Avoid eastern Washington. Spokane has snowy winters but can get hot in summer, and Yakima is one of the state's warmest spots.

I've a hunch you would do well in the Pacific Northwest. But, like I said, if you need to find employment. . . . .

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Would you mind long wet but-not-so-cold winters? Also, since "hot" is relative, it's a little hard to guess what you consider hot. My husband gets hot when it hits 75; for me, it's never "hot" until it reaches 85 or better.

Also, would you have to look for work? Because the following states are in ****-poor economic situations right now (but less sure of Washington):

Here's some guestimations:

California
Anywhere in the north to central coast.
San Francisco or anywhere in Marin County.

Oregon
Willamette Valley Area.
Klamath Falls.
Avoid anywhere in eastern Oregon (HOT high desert).
Bend is smack-dab in central Oregon, cold snowy winters but hot longer summers than Portland.

Washington
Seattle.
Avoid eastern Washington. Spokane has snowy winters but can get hot in summer, and Yakima is one of the state's warmest spots.

I've a hunch you would do well in the Pacific Northwest. But, like I said, if you need to find employment. . . . .
Unemployment: CA highest, followed by OR, then WA.

Temps: Mostly right on the mark, but the Willamette Valley, south of Portland can get very warm (even hot) during the summer. If you want consistent 60's during the summer, I would recommend the Northern CA coast, (Eureka area), and then up to the mid-Oregon coast, (Newport/Lincoln City), where it can 65 on the beach, and 85 just 15 miles inland.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I might be easier on this as I hate heat, but can deal well with bitter cold. Only problem is snow and sleet locks me in the house because it's hard to drive in them. (For my chair or van)

Any place that's cold and dry? Granted I'd have to deal with nosebleeds in a cold/dry place, but I have some jellies I can use for my nose. I'm thinking Montana, but I'm worried about driving in the mountains. (This is largely a dream, I probably won't be able to afford a move for a long time)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Where in Western NC are you? Are you in the mountains? Or are you in, say, Winston-Salem?

The mountains of NC are very temperate. I lived in Boone for several summers and it RARELY got above 90. As we speak, it's 70 in Winston and 57 in Boone (and the two towns are only 90 miles apart). It's probably 5 degrees cooler than THAT up around Beech Mountain.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,133,375 times
Summers in northern New England are pretty mild. I don't know anyone who owns an AC and there's usually only a handful of days during the summer where I might want one. The coolest temperatures are along coastal Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.