Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM

259 posts, read 703,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I get soooo tired of reading stuff like this, I really do. First off, WI's summers are far, far, far, far more comfortable than AZ's. On the stickiest, hottest summer day in WI youll maybe see a heat index reach 100 degrees. Thats BELOW the AVERAGE PHX summer day, dry or not. WI might feel stickier, but it definitely does not feel hotter. Stickier, yes, but not hotter. And on those days where it does get that hot in WI, it only lasts for a day or two, then its back in the 70s and 80s (about as perfect as summer temps can get). WI's summers are generally very pleasant for the most part. AZ's are much hotter for much longer. Lets not exaggerate now shall, we?

And regarding winter, I find our winter's here in Chicagoland to be quite humid at times, but overall are VERY dry. Humidifiers and lots of lotion are needed for some people here in winter. In fact, it gets so dry here in winter at times that it makes places like AZ feel downright sticky in comparison.
I don't think I wrote what was in my mind very clearly. I agree with you, and have experienced the cool days in WI. AZ has a far more uncomfortable summer b/c its relentlessly hot. What I meant to say was that I remember a particularly humid and very hot combination day that I struggled with quite a bit in WI (probably b/c I wasn't used to it too). But it doesn't look like this is frequent, since the weather is more varied.

My basic worries are that I have been spoiled by dry climates and will be in shock moving somewhere not realizing just how hot or just how cold it can be. If you can bear with me, I think I am worried about say a relentless humid hot (perhaps like georgia or some place) or a bone chilling relentless cold (minnesota comes to mind). I am wondering if I'd fair better in northern ohio vs maine or south Michigan vs New Hampshire, or if they are pretty comparable. I suppose inland in any one of these places further from the lake or further from the ocean would get more hot/cold? Are any one of these places consistently humid or more varied (maybe thats a lake/ocean thing too)? Also looking into northern indiana as I mentioned too.

These questions may sound a bit absurd to people living in wetter climates but I have so little experience and hoping to get a better grasp on understanding it so that I'm not shocked when I get there. I hope my thoughts are a little clearer, thanks for all the input, it helps tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The important thing to consider, and this throws a lot of people I know here in NM who have never been to the Northeast, is that although summers can have brutal humidity combined with high temps, the worst of it usually comes in a couple or three heat-waves which are limited in duration to a week or two. Most of the summer is usually tolerable if not glorious. Furthermore, summer is shorter by a good month or so than in the southwest. The worst of the humidity in the northeast occurs during July and August.

As far as winter goes, cold air cannot hold much moisture (hence the term relative humidity). Coastal areas can seem clammy and damp until the temp gets below freezing.

Then there is the saying, there is no bad weather, only bad clothes.

ABQConvict

Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times
Humidity is slightly higher in New England than the Midwest during the summer.
Upper Midwest is colder than Southern New England.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
I would much rather deal with a New England summer and winter. I'm in Michigan and although it was cool this year, I've seen it so hot and humid here before that it was difficult to even breathe and I'm originally from FL and can take the heat.

The winters here with the lake effect snow are brutal, far worse than anything I'd ever experienced in a New England winter.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I would much rather deal with a New England summer and winter. I'm in Michigan and although it was cool this year, I've seen it so hot and humid here before that it was difficult to even breathe and I'm originally from FL and can take the heat.

The winters here with the lake effect snow are brutal, far worse than anything I'd ever experienced in a New England winter.
Depends on where in New England you are. I find it cooler during the Summers and milder winters here in West Michigan than I ever did in Northern Maine.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Depends on where in New England you are. I find it cooler during the Summers and milder winters here in West Michigan than I ever did in Northern Maine.
That's true, I was in Western Mass in New England. It also depends where in MI you are too. I'm down here about 15 miles West of Kalamazoo, roughly 30 miles from the lake and I don't know how many times I've put on the news and seen Grand Rapids and further North getting nothing and we're getting hammered with 10 inches down here.

I used to drive to work in GR from here everyday and it seemed that it was usually better up that way. Just getting from here to 131 was half the battle.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
That's true, I was in Western Mass in New England. It also depends where in MI you are too. I'm down here about 15 miles West of Kalamazoo, roughly 30 miles from the lake and I don't know how many times I've put on the news and seen Grand Rapids and further North getting nothing and we're getting hammered with 10 inches down here.

I used to drive to work in GR from here everyday and it seemed that it was usually better up that way. Just getting from here to 131 was half the battle.
So true! I'm 7 miles from Lake Michigan in the Ludington area, and while the snowfall was halfway decent this last winter (162") it was much warmer than Caribou, ME where I lived for close to 20 years. I have a brother in the Athol area in Mass and they have very mild winters.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So true! I'm 7 miles from Lake Michigan in the Ludington area, and while the snowfall was halfway decent this last winter (162") it was much warmer than Caribou, ME where I lived for close to 20 years. I have a brother in the Athol area in Mass and they have very mild winters.
That's the area of Mass I visited for a couple of winters. I dated a girl who grew up in Warwick just a little north of Orange and Athol. I remember only 2 or 3 light snows the whole 4 weeks I was there.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
I don't think I wrote what was in my mind very clearly. I agree with you, and have experienced the cool days in WI. AZ has a far more uncomfortable summer b/c its relentlessly hot. What I meant to say was that I remember a particularly humid and very hot combination day that I struggled with quite a bit in WI (probably b/c I wasn't used to it too). But it doesn't look like this is frequent, since the weather is more varied.

My basic worries are that I have been spoiled by dry climates and will be in shock moving somewhere not realizing just how hot or just how cold it can be. If you can bear with me, I think I am worried about say a relentless humid hot (perhaps like georgia or some place) or a bone chilling relentless cold (minnesota comes to mind). I am wondering if I'd fair better in northern ohio vs maine or south Michigan vs New Hampshire, or if they are pretty comparable. I suppose inland in any one of these places further from the lake or further from the ocean would get more hot/cold? Are any one of these places consistently humid or more varied (maybe thats a lake/ocean thing too)? Also looking into northern indiana as I mentioned too.

These questions may sound a bit absurd to people living in wetter climates but I have so little experience and hoping to get a better grasp on understanding it so that I'm not shocked when I get there. I hope my thoughts are a little clearer, thanks for all the input, it helps tremendously.
I know many people who can't go back to it... its humid in summer, and cold as crap in winter ...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM

259 posts, read 703,847 times
Thanks for the map! I've been looking around and didn't find one as nice as this. We are considering upper northeast (New Hampshire and Maine basically), so not so much mass or conn. Now would New Hampshire be more hot/cold than Maine since its more inland? And more humid? Or is it milder since its more south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.