Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And I'll stand by my claim that the data is flawed. I've provided enough illustrations to prove that. And those maps are only generalizations that don't deal with true specific temperatures or other data but a range.
The data is flawed… because it doesn’t show what YOU want it to show. I get it...any science data that says something you don't want to hear is flawed.

Scientist: Mr. Smith, you should be careful, this area is subject to flooding.

Mr. Smith: We get no floods here…only high water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The data is flawed… because it doesn’t show what YOU want it to show. I get it...any science data that says something you don't want to hear is flawed.

Scientist: Mr. Smith, you should be careful, this area is subject to flooding.

Mr. Smith: We get no floods here…only high water.

What a ludicrous statement. You are talking to someone that owns a weather station. I've also rubbed elbows with a couple of meteorologists in the past. Most of my friends are either engineers or have a technical background of some sort. I've lived in a number of these Midwestern areas and also New England. I have enough experience to go by plus that of others that I know that supports the information that I've posted.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
What a ludicrous statement. You are talking to someone that owns a weather station. I've also rubbed elbows with a couple of meteorologists in the past. Most of my friends are either engineers or have a technical background of some sort. I've lived in a number of these Midwestern areas and also New England. I have enough experience to go by plus that of others that I know that supports the information that I've posted.
Well, lets look at this statement.

“You own a weather station”

(Hmm). Most weather stations are not “owned” they are run by NOAA/NWS, are on University Campus Atmospheric Science Buildings, and the lesser quality ones by local TV stations, or radio stations in down scale rural areas.

“You rubbed elbows with a couple of meteorologists in the past. Most of your friends are either engineers or have a technical background of some sort”.

Well some of my friends work in math and Physics at Yale or MIT…and know “crap” about the weather/climate of the USA.

“You’ve lived in a number of these Midwestern areas and also New England. I have enough experience to go by plus that of others that I know that supports the information that I've posted”

Well I have worked in both the MIDWEST and NEW ENGLAND…and most of the study and research I’ve done over the past 17 years, as well as most of the people I know who study climate academically or NCAR (National Center For Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado)….would laugh at your ‘technical friends” assumptions.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Microclimates predominate throughout New England. Valley affects really drive low temperatures. Locations near rivers often have freeze and frost events well before areas where terrain is more hilly. Low temperatures in winter are also much colder in the river valleys compared to other locations.
If you examine the plant hardiness maps you will notice zone creep during the last 10-20 years as many locations have warmer averge wintertime lows compared to the past. Another factor to analyze is the heat island impact on weather stations. A good example in NH would Manchester. That reporting station there has a strong urban heat island and is quite a number of degrees warmer at night compared to Nashua or Concord. All three towns are in the Merrimack Valley and are in close proximity to one another via an interstate. The large hills and mountains in NH also have varying microclimates with temperature variations being extreme in one area or another. The major reporting station in NH at a high elevation is the Mount Washington observatory. I don't know of any other high elevation reporting station anywhere else in NH that is posted on the NWS page.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM

^^^Well, it just so happens that I also come from a Spivy League background. :-) And I also have friends that went to these schools and studied the sciences.

How often do you see a weather forecast that is wrong or the data being transmitted from a weather station is either fouled up or the station is not reporting? You can have several weather stations within a few miles radius and in many cases no two stations will report the same data.

Equipment including satellites can be adversely impacted by extraneous interference created by the environment itself or man made machinery etc.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Microclimates predominate throughout New England. Valley affects really drive low temperatures. Locations near rivers often have freeze and frost events well before areas where terrain is more hilly. Low temperatures in winter are also much colder in the river valleys compared to other locations.
If you examine the plant hardiness maps you will notice zone creep during the last 10-20 years as many locations have warmer averge wintertime lows compared to the past. Another factor to analyze is the heat island impact on weather stations. A good example in NH would Manchester. That reporting station there has a strong urban heat island and is quite a number of degrees warmer at night compared to Nashua or Concord. All three towns are in the Merrimack Valley and are in close proximity to one another via an interstate. The large hills and mountains in NH also have varying microclimates with temperature variations being extreme in one area or another. The major reporting station in NH at a high elevation is the Mount Washington observatory. I don't know of any other high elevation reporting station anywhere else in NH that is posted on the NWS page.
Well stated.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You are so right, I never realized this until now.

I'm viewing different weather station's temperatures and two locations about 10 miles away from each other have a 31 degree heat index/windchill difference, one location is 17F and the other one is 48F.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
You are so right, I never realized this until now.

I'm viewing different weather station's temperatures and two locations about 10 miles away from each other have a 31 degree heat index/windchill difference, one location is 17F and the other one is 48F.
Either that or one is malfunctioning. Regardless, this definitely supports what GS and I have been saying all along.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
^^^Well, it just so happens that I also come from a Spivy League background. :-) And I also have friends that went to these schools and studied the sciences.

How often do you see a weather forecast that is wrong or the data being transmitted from a weather station is either fouled up or the station is not reporting? You can have several weather stations within a few miles radius and in many cases no two stations will report the same data.

Equipment including satellites can be adversely impacted by extraneous interference created by the environment itself or man made machinery etc.
…and some guy at a rural Missouri radio station thought that issue might be a problem…but Ph.D. atmospheric scientist at NOAA or NCAR never considered that issue.

I think I understand now…

The National Weather Service, NOAA, ESSEA, NCAR and the rest, measure weather data, conduct research with professional scientists, and create data …but when it disagrees with the false perspective…we should then conclude that the scientists are wrong or have an agenda ("they secretly what the Midwest to look colder in the data…everyone’s talking about it" – lol).

Ok got it now… 2 +2 = 37

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Hmmmm. Looks like you just don't get it do you? Now go take your flu shot. A few other people seem to agree with what I've said though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.