Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its only sticker shock for those not used to it, money is just a means to an end anyway. i don't think anybody would laugh at 400k for a 3br in nyc for instance...
salaries pay more.
but it is worth it to some people that go outside and are like..today is the perfect day...pretty much every single day of the year.
It's sticker shock to those with sense lol. No, just kidding, but I think many people feel that an extra 300-500K for the same kind of house simply isn't worth it just to enjoy the things Cali offers that other states don't. People are leading very good lives in affordable areas.

No wonder so many Californians are moving to Texas in herds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Here's a Cali who would move to Texas tomorrow except for the humidity on the coast, the tornadoes in the north and the blast-furnace heat in the east & south.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I'm sure California seems like the obvious choice, but as far as I know "affordability" completely eliminates that state as an option. I might be wrong though...what's the weather like in Oregon?

I honestly believe that there is no such thing as a perfect city or town for many people. Even NYC itself is far from perfect, where I'm concerned.
It has 7 or more months of rain and cloud...to me depressing, to others perfect!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
It has 7 or more months of rain and cloud...to me depressing, to others perfect!
in a decade that is 5 more years of nice days outside.

think about it...

I have done calculations like this before, kind of interesting and might change your mind on where you want to live.

Quote:
It's sticker shock to those with sense lol. No, just kidding, but I think many people feel that an extra 300-500K for the same kind of house simply isn't worth it just to enjoy the things Cali offers that other states don't. People are leading very good lives in affordable areas.

no disagreements here. california is always going to be more expensive, so are the more expensive cities like dc/nyc but now that the bubble burst it is not as bad, jobs pay more, possibly much more depending on what you do.
depends on everybodies situation though whether it is worth it for them.
i certainly wouldn't call the most populated state in the u.s. all stupid.
I think it is the nicest place in the united states personally as far as geography/outdoors/weather goes/wine regions/mountains/surfing/long growing seasons, but there are cities I prefer elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
I'm sure California seems like the obvious choice, but as far as I know "affordability" completely eliminates that state as an option. I might be wrong though...what's the weather like in Oregon?

I honestly believe that there is no such thing as a perfect city or town for many people. Even NYC itself is far from perfect, where I'm concerned.
Well, actually MrMcCoy, Cali is affordable if you are amenable to buying a lot, putting a perimeter foundation in and putting a two-piece modular on it. Whole package about 100-200k turnkey, depending on the location of the lot. I'd do that except my wife won't live in a modular.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 AM

5 posts, read 5,305 times
Pacifica, CA? Maybe even perhaps closer to Santa Cruz, CA? Like Capitola or Watsonville.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:51 PM

40 posts, read 244,980 times
I would try Carpinteria in California. More affordable than Santa Barbara, but pretty close in lifestyle

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Charleston, SC. Coastal city that's more affordable than the West coast, walkable & charming downtown for a more urban feeling, about 71 degree annual temp average, closer proximity to other east coast hubs, which would be great for a retired couple with time to take some road trips:-).

A quick search brought up a property like this: Charleston, SC - Charleston - SC - 29414 - Home for Sale - NYTimes Great Homes

Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM

486 posts, read 1,034,922 times
Quote:

Affordability does not eliminate the entire state of California. CA has a long coast with many smaller towns and cities. You just have to get away from the large metropolises.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
The "affordability" requirement really limits you. The more temperate climates are the more expensive places to live. Other posters are right that there are lots of small California coastal towns that may boast cheaper housing. The farther north you go, the colder the weather and the water. Have you looked in to one of the Hawaiian islands? Couldn't get more temperate there, and I bet some of the inland communities have more affordable housing. A coastline is never too far away in HI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.