U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

686 posts, read 1,632,372 times

Advertisements

Why are the Dakotas so sparse?, does anybody know the answer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,786,603 times
They are Midwestern, primarily agricultural states. That doesn't appeal to the elitist coastal types, or young people looking to start in a new location.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM

8,196 posts, read 11,903,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Why are the Dakotas so sparse?, does anybody know the answer?
I think it has to do with history and transportation.

For shipping purposes, they are the states furthest from any major bodies of water like the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes. So in the old days, when we still used to make things in this country, it was probably not considered the best place to put a factory.

For instance, with iron coming from Minnesota and coal coming from Pennsylvania and West Virginia to make steel --- the Great Lake States were centrally located in the middle of the action. Because of these advantages of the Lake States, with their numerous ports and later mainline rail links to the big cities, it simply made no sense to put a factory in the Dakotas versus say Ohio or Michigan.

So the Dakotas (and eastern Montana and Nebraska) stayed mostly agricultural or ranchland.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 PM

13,840 posts, read 25,367,819 times
The Dakotas do have more extreme temperature variants than many other states. (Although they're known for cold they can get hot as well. Both states have their "record high" be 120 or so. City-Data lists Grand Forks, North Dakota as having "the largest temperature differences during a year" for a city over 50,000. Sioux Falls, South Dakota appears to get at least moderately hot in the Summer) It seems like people tend to move to places where temperatures are mild.

Granted Minnesota and Nebraska have extremely variable temperatures too. I said something more, but LINative dealt well with the historic reasons.

Also it's right that "middle America" is not necessarily where young people want to move. Yet the Dakotan towns are not as old, and therefore quaint, as parts of Western Pennsylvania that get retirees or families. Elderly people might also be discouraged to go there by the climate. Still I'd think the Dakotas could have some appeal to young families. If they don't it might be that they are relatively "invisible." They are not on the "media landscape" for whatever reason. (Exempting the movie "Fargo", but even then most of the movie and story was set in Minnesota not North Dakota)

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 27,159,955 times
I dunno, that entire great plains stretch is where I haven't been to nd/sd/ne/kansas. I am not sure if there is much there I would want to go for... Am I really missing out???

Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 AM

13,840 posts, read 25,367,819 times
Depends on what you like or want I guess. South Dakota has a good deal of American Indian stuff, Mt. Rushmore, and the Corn Palace. All the states named have a variety of Anabaptists. (Kansas has loads of Mennonites and South Dakota has some Hutterite colonies I think) Lawrence, Kansas is quite liberal for a "Red State" and the University has a good collection of Science Fiction. I believe KU is where they give out the Theodore Sturgeon Award.

So basically it's not a bad area for dorky or nerdy stuff. (SF, roadside attractions, traditionalist Christian communes, corn, etc)

Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,740,478 times
Because the Dakotas are quite possibly the worst states we have. I would much rather grant statehood to Puerto Rico or DC or Samoa or Guam or the Virgin Islands, than be affiliated with the Dakotas. As others have mentioned they probably have the largest variance in temperatures in the entire country. 110 in summer, -30 in winter. They're also ugly as sin. The landscape isn't heavily forested and dotted with lakes like Minnesota, their mountains aren't nearly as majestic as those in neighboring Montana and Wyoming, and they're not really good for growing crops like Iowa or Nebraska. They're pretty much worthless.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,689,485 times
I have much the same feelings about Milwaukee...
It's ugly as sin. The landscape isn't heavily forested, the mountains are non-existant and they're not really good for growing crops like Iowa or Nebraska. It's pretty much worthless.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM

686 posts, read 1,632,372 times
maybe because it's very arid and not inhabitable.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,689,485 times
I think LINative's first post hit it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.