Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Stop using other peoples lines and please get back on topic

According to this thread, most people find that nasally native NY accent the most annoying

End of thread, you lose again
NY accent is guttural. We don't talk through our nose. The South does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
It's a skewed poll.....now tell me what is the difference between rock and rock n roll.

That's like making an accent poll like: NY Manhatten, NY Bronx, NY Queens and then Southern when it should be like this:

Nasally, whiney Nawth
Southern
Rock n Roll is music like Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis

Now there are two types of Rock, Soft Rock and Hard Rock...

However why did you bring the topic of my thread though? Aren't we supoosed to be discussing the topic about accents and not music?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
I dont have a southern accent but I am from the south. Weird huh?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I dont have a southern accent but I am from the south. Weird huh?
I don't either. No one can peg where I'm from when they first meet me because there is no accent. My dad is Southern raised by NY tranplants and my mom was from Chicago so there never was a distinct overwhelming accent to develop. Most of the kids in FL schools in the 70's were from all over so there was no distinct accent to pick up.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default I worked with a young woman

Quote:
I don't either. No one can peg where I'm from when they first meet me because there is no accent. My dad is Southern raised by NY tranplants and my mom was from Chicago so there never was a distinct overwhelming accent to develop. Most of the kids in FL schools in the 70's were from all over so there was no distinct accent to pick up.
last summer. I thought she was from the NY Metro area. She told me she was born and raised in Florida, but her PARENTS were from New Jersey. I guess who you were raised by counts more than where you were raised.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Everybody has an accent no matter where you from, it could be the NY accent, Southern accent or just the American accent. If you would go to England, Ireland or to any other place, they will know you are from the US. Why? Because you have the American accent. So yes you do have an accent.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,427 times
I guess I have an American accent then.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats why Northeasterners have to stick together And why I love our accents.
I have a distinctive northern NJ accent (Bayonne, just SW of NYC) -- it's close to, but not exactly the same as the NY accent. When I travel outside the state, people peg me as a Jerseyan right away -- I've had NJ transplants come up to me in Michigan and Florida and start conversations because they heard my accent.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
Quote:
I would say Fran on the show "The Nanny" is a perfect example. I got about 30 seconds into that show the fist time I saw it and was ready to put the remote through the TV screen.
Drescher is an anomaly -- everyone in the NYC area does NOT sound like that. In fact, the majority of people in the area sound nothing like her.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Looking her up Fran Drescher is from Queens. I have no idea if her accent is common in her borough, but I do know that in earlier roles she played it down and apparently she discusses that. I saw her in an old episode of "Night Court", before the Nanny, and in it she just sounded like an average New Yorker.

For that matter I think as time went on she exaggerated her natural accent for the role of "The Nanny." In interviews she does have that accent, but it's milder. Characteristics of actors/actresses are sometimes used and exaggerated in roles.

Mostly this thread seems rather hostile so I might depart again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.