Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was gonna say, black people throughout the country tend to have a Southern twang, but the whites and others in Chicago don't sound southern in the least.
No the black people across the US do not sound with the Southern accent. in NYC they sound like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qotVnQ667ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2tN6b8MXg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 PM

76 posts, read 242,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If I didn't know a person was from Chicago; I'd think they were from the south.
Thats interesting because when I heard someone point out a Chicago accent it was like .. instead of "coffee" its "cahfee" and instead of "hockey" its "hackey".... and then I read on here tht Conneticut differ from NYers because they say "cahfee" too...?? Just thought it was an interesting similarity

Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
Whats wrong? Do you sound like a hood-lum?

It's all that gangster city talk like "yo son", "yo b" etc and all that nonsense.

It's just atrocious.

I couldn't agree with you more...

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
There's an annoying accent down in South Jersey and in some parts of Pennsylvania wherein they say "Home" like "Hoom" and "Phone" like "Phoon". I find that very annoying.

Also, within New Jersey there are a number of accents (although no one, ANYWHERE, says "Joisey"!). People in certain parts of Hudson County use "yuhs" as a plural of "you", and say "Nork" for "Newark", "Storts" for "Stewarts", etc. They just sound stupid.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Northeastern accents.

Southern accents.

both are very annoying and drive me crazy ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 PM

380 posts, read 691,592 times
I like British, Southern and the "New York" accents. The Southern accent has really began to grown on me, despite region...very interesting and cute!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM

126 posts, read 322,074 times
I am from the South, and let's see........I don't really care for the Minnesota accent, nor do I care for most of the Midwestern accents. The New York City accent is interesting but is ignorant sounding to most Southerners.

As for my own accent......I like most Southern accents, but there are some I can't stand. Hollywood enjoys portraying all Southerners as having the stereotypical "gentleman of the plantation accent". This accent, to me, is the most annoying of Southern accents, especially on a woman. It is more and more outdated I might add. But yet, Hollywood loves using this accent for their depictions of "sexy Southern Belles" who walk around fainting and saying "I do declare" all the time except pronouncing it like " Aye dew Declaya ".

I personally can't stand it......it embarrasses me as a Southern Belle whenever I hear it. None of the women in my family (nor do most people in Alabama for that matter), speak that way. They speak more like Forrest Gump....which to me, surprisingly, is more appealing.

I think it all depends on where you are from. Hollywood and the upperclass liberal establishment of this country enjoy putting down the Southern accent. What is so ironic is that most Southerners think most Northern accents sound stupid and ignorant. It is all a matter of where you come from and what you prefer.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
No the black people across the US do not sound with the Southern accent. in NYC they sound like this.

YouTube - Jenny Boom Boom interview with Nore Part 2

YouTube - Where Hip Hop is From - Part 2, My First Big Park
They sound Southern to me. I have never heard any blacks anywhere speak without their derivative of the Southern accent.

I think the other poster's point was a little out there anyways. Why would whites in Chicago sound like Southerners? Blacks sound like Southerners because that is where they are from no matter where you go in the country. By the way, most blacks up North still call the South "home".

Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If I didn't know a person was from Chicago; I'd think they were from the south.

What??????? Please oh please please please never insult people from the South in that way ever again. I hear people from up North all the time talk about how certain people in the upper Midwest sound Southern. I don't know what the heck they are talking about. I have never heard anybody from up there sounding Southern. Maybe in the border areas of Southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, where people from the South migrated in the past, but Chicago????????? Give me a break! Keep dreaming.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I'm really not a fan of Southern or New York accents at all.

I love Minnesota accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.