Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM

10 posts, read 12,336 times

Advertisements

Hi:
It's my pleasure to register and talk with you. I am MD. 24 years old. I got a scholarship from my country. Also, I have a full health insurance and 2100$ as a salary.
My question is::
I want a dream city. I visited the L A 2 years ago but I don't like at all. Actually I like the Eastern side than the others. I prefer a very safe city, beautiful environment specially mountains, cool weather( not too hot ), modern city with many cultural places and quite.
Therefore, I need your help. Without your help I can't move.

Thanx

Last edited by al3an; 09-09-2009 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3an View Post
Hi:
It's my pleasure to register and talk with you. I am MD. 24 years old. I got a scholarship from my country. Also, I have a full health insurance and 2100$ as a salary.
My question is::
I want a dream city. I visited the L A 2 years ago but I don't like at all. Actually I like the Eastern side than the others. I prefer a very safe city, beautiful environment specially mountains, cool weather( not too hot ), modern city with many cultural places and quite.
Therefore, I need your help. Without your help I can't move.

Thanx
Try researching the tri-cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) area of Tennessee or Asheville, NC.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Ummmmmmmmmmm
Thanks RUNRGIRL.
But the problem is I don't like the south side. Can I find waht I want in the Eastern Side?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
If you could provide some more information it would help people narrow down the possibilities:

How large or small a city do you want?

How much of an issue is the cost of living, and what cities can you afford to live in on your budget? Could you afford to live in New York City, Boston, or Washington--the most expensive cities in the east--or do you need a city with a more moderate cost of living?

How far east do you mean by "east side?" Do you mean the Northeast mainly, or anywhere east of, say, the Mississippi River if the place is not in the South?

You said you had a scholarship. This seems to imply that you will be attending a college or university. What universities interest you? Which schools have good programs in your field? If you could tell something of the schools you are considering, people could give you some detailed information about the cities where those schools are located. This is probably a better starting point than just asking people to tell you about any nice safe city in the eastern U.S. that is close to mountains and where the summers aren't really hot.

My first thought on possibilities for you is that the desire for mountains and a climate that is not really hot, located more in the eastern end of the U.S., tells me that you may want to look first in the New England states and in upstate New York state. Depending on the further detalis of what you are seeking, there may be other possibilities, but these states come to mind first. There are many cities, large and small, in these states. Answers to the questions I've asked above will improve the chances that people here can help with suggesting the right one for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3an View Post
Actually I like the Eastern side than the others. <snip>, beautiful environment specially mountains, cool weather( not too hot )
How do you feel about harsh winters?

I was thinking upstate New York (Rochester, Syracuse) might work for you or New Hampshire.

Those places have harsh, snowy winters with many days where the temperature stays below freezing.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM

large or small a city :: doesn't matter while it's safe.
cost of living :: as I said I have 2100$ as a salary each month. The problem is my visa. It is F1 which means I can't get a job outside the campus of the University and most of times it's impossible to get a job in the campus.
University: There is no specific University.
Harsh winter :: I used to be in Detroit. It was a very harsh winter and daaaangerous city.
Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, south Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, , Kentucky, and Mississippi I don't like them

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Pittsburgh is another possibility. It has many universities, The U of P medical school, cultural opportunities and mountains nearby in Pennsylvania.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Actullay, I'm thinking about Pittsburgh. But I need more opitions.
Thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Pittsburgh occurred to me as well. There are several universities to choose from, and the cost of living is lower than you find in some other big cities in the Northeast. Another possibility in the Northeast would be Philadelphia. I know you said you wanted a safe city, and Philly has a fairly high crime rate overall, but in any city some neighborhoods are safer than others, so a lot would depend on the specific sections of the city where you lived. Something else to keep in mind is that there will be a certain amount of crime in any large city, so you need to learn to take reasonable precautions to ensure your safety whether you're living in a high-crime city like Detroit or a relatively safe city like Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure how much hot weather you can tolerate. If the weather in Pittsburgh works for you, then you might also consider Columbus, with the many academic programs available at Ohio State U. If you don't feel the need to be well to the east, but could be happy in the middle of the country, then another large city that would be worth checking out is the Twin Cities metro area--Minneapolis/St. Paul--with the U. of Minnesota.

Some of this depends on how much of a selection of universities you want to have to choose from. I agree with the suggestion that Syracuse could be a decent possibility, IF you could find it workable to have only one major university in the city where you lived.

Smaller cities that could work, again if you're okay with being toward the middle of the country rather than well to the east, would be Ann Arbor, which is a whole different kind of place than Detroit, and much safer, even if it is near Detroit, and Madison.

If you don't need to live right in a big city, one possibility that occurs to me is the U. of New Hampshire. New Hampshire does not have a state tax on earned income, so your money would go a little further there than in other Northeastern states. The U. of New Hampshire is a good school. It's located in a very small town, but the larger town of Portsmouth is nearby, and you're only about an hour away from Boston, but living in a place with a lower cost of living than Boston.

Another question would be what you are interested in studying. Without knowing this, there is no way to know whether a particular university would work for you.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Ummmmmmm.
What about Monopolies or Salt Lake City. are they good??
I know it is in the north but it is ok. Any state will be fine accept
Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, south Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, , Kentucky, and Mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.