Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which genre of music, do you think is the most popular in the US?
Hip Hop 25 43.10%
Rock 16 27.59%
R&B 1 1.72%
Jazz 0 0%
Disco 1 1.72%
Salsa 0 0%
Classical 1 1.72%
Rock&Roll 5 8.62%
Other(Please specify) 4 6.90%
Country 5 8.62%
Christian 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

Which genre of music, do you think is the most popular in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
I say its between Hip Hop and Pop. Hip Hop is now spread across the world like Germany,France, Japan etc.

At first African Americans and Latinos(specifically PRs) were the main listeners, now you can find it almost any community in the US and parts of the world.

Two words for Pop..Michael Jackson

Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I say its between Hip Hop and Pop. Hip Hop is now spread across the world like Germany,France, Japan etc.

At first African Americans and Latinos(specifically PRs) were the main listeners, now you can find it almost any community in the US and parts of the world.

...and the same ten or twenty songs played on CHR radio stations hour after hour. How boring. I like a bit more creativity and variety than that. Bring back the originality of the 80's, heck even the early 90's and I'd like to hear more dance music in the U.S.

NewsDaily: U.S. stars pushing America to dance to Europe's beat

Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
I say its between Hip Hop and Pop.
Considering what's being passed off as hip hop nowadays is there really a difference?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
...and the same ten or twenty songs played on CHR radio stations hour after hour. How boring. I like a bit more creativity and variety than that. Bring back the originality of the 80's, heck even the early 90's and I'd like to hear more dance music in the U.S.

NewsDaily: U.S. stars pushing America to dance to Europe's beat
I'll have to read the link.

But on first take of what it may be referring too, that beat started right here in the US.

Chicago 1st introduced the world to House. Which spawned, almost every dance genre out there today.

Too bad it wasn't marketed and promoted right. Once you go to a good House Club (headphones, a car stereo, or cheap home audio system isn't the way to listen to House) you'll know why its so popular in Europe.

It's making a comeback though. It realy is cool to see people of all different races, social classes, and backgrounds come together and dance all night.

Besides Chicago and NY I don't know of any other places in the country where you can get that good house experience. Hopefully that changes.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'll have to read the link.

But on first take of what it may be referring too, that beat started right here in the US.

Chicago 1st introduced the world to House. Which spawned, almost every dance genre out there today.

Too bad it wasn't marketed and promoted right. Once you go to a good House Club (headphones, a car stereo, or cheap home audio system isn't the way to listen to House) you'll know why its so popular in Europe.

It's making a comeback though. It realy is cool to see people of all different races, social classes, and backgrounds come together and dance all night.

Besides Chicago and NY I don't know of any other places in the country where you can get that good house experience. Hopefully that changes.
I'm from Chicago originally, so I grew up on dance music. However, there are clubs all over the place that play good House Music. That is not exclusive to just NYC and Chicago. Dance music is played in clubs all over the world, but it is also popular on radio in many other places around the world as well. You had Energy 92.7 in Chicago for a time (2001-2003) and now the Dance Factory. Chris Shebel helped to launch Energy 92.7 in Phoenix in 2002, which outlasted Energy in Chicago, but unfortunately ended in November 2008. I think when you read the article, it will make more sense as to why the American public has a harder time accepting/understanding dance music.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:

I agree with you when you say that African Americans and Puerto Ricans were the main listeners. When Hip hop was birthed in The Bronx, Puerto Ricans and African Americans were together in the creation of Hip Hop. However, not many people know this. For example Dj Tony Touch and Dj Disco Wiz

DJ Disco Wiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Rican.../dp/1403960445#

Great book which talks about New York Puerto Ricans in the Hip Hop scene.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
The most popular genre is definitely straight-up pop. Just look at album sales for people like Madonna and MJ and how they STILL sell out/sold out concerts 25-30 years after their music-making prime. I feel bad for people who limit their musical intake to plain ol pop but it works.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,660 times
I would have to say HipHop because it is in almost every store I go to other than a book store.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
If you go by the number of radio stations, it's country.

In all formats, talk radio is #1, and country is #2. Contemporary Christian is #3, followed by Spanish, adult contemporary, and Top 40.

From Reuters:

"Country radio, long the most popular radio format, is no longer on top.
Among 2,064 U.S. stations, the news/talk format now leads country, which airs on 2,024 stations -- down 30 from a year ago."

http://www.reuters.com/article/indus...4BD02P20081214
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.