Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

When we decided to research Tennessee, we considered Nashville but it was quickly wiped off the list. The pay difference is negligible but the housing costs are higher and as you have pointed out, taxes are higher. I also found that it was full of transplants. After coming from the land of transplants (Florida) I just didn't think I could deal with it anymore.

I find the caliber of activities in Knoxville to be surprisingly good for a small city. We have the Rossini Festival and of course The Tennessee Theater with the symphony and such. There is always something going on. But in minutes you can be out in the country and The Great Smoky Mountains are practically next door.

I'm from the northeast but I have found that the highest amount of friendly people that I have encountered have been in Knoxville. It is perfect for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
It's up to the reader, but I believe the Nashville area is more geared for more activities, a lot of people have said that Knoxville cost of living is low but there aren't as many activities as a bigger city say Nashville, I am sure knoxville has activities and has the UT university, but as far as activities its not on caliber as other cities, I can't speak for the people, some people have said nashville people are rude, but it depends on the person, you'll find rude people anywhere but also people who are friendly , especially in cities. Depends on the person's lifestyle, knoxville wages are also a bit low.

The property tax rate is Shelby county is nearly 4-5 times higher than seveir county , I didn't say I currently live in Queens, NY , I did mention that I was selling a place there due to a move from a place there , perhaps used the wrong tense. Given that though I know quite about new york, but I also know about the South too because I have friends there, and have traveled, business, considered moving to several places in the South, looked at homes, and have stayed there for a while several times ,etc.

Tennessee does not have a personal property tax rate which helps with autos, but the above comment for tax burden holds true because many people in Texas have a high tax burden but many people don't depending on circumstances, in Tennessee
if your income depends highly on dividends and interest and you have a large estate , the TN's tax burden would be high.

Tennessee along with NC is the ONLY state in the South that has inheritance and estate taxes, Kentucky has it too if you consider it southern although I am not sure how it works there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Oviedo FL

Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM

411 posts, read 1,165,418 times
Sugar Land, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.