Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:58 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times

Advertisements

WE have the opportunity to live wherever we want as long as we have access to a major airport. Right now, we live in Charlotte and it just is not for us. We want a place that is not transient...and it is very much so here.

Our ideal place would be:

Conservative Values & Politics, Good Schools...but we may also do Private, lots of families as we have 3 children, 4 seasons...but short winters, low crime, access to lots of activities, nice friendly-welcoming people.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have!!

Thanks!

Last edited by Bo; 09-13-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
My immediate guess would be somewhere deeper in the South or possibly the Ozarks. There are towns there that I believe are conservative.

//www.city-data.com/top2/h166.html

That lists cities where most are born in-state. They might be less transient. Of those the following appear to be in conservative counties and aren't too bad for crime. (There might be better examples outside the South, but you seem to want short winters)

Odessa, Texas
Victoria, Texas

Personal experience I might say Southern Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas, but they might have more crime than you like. Although Bentonville looks fairly safe by the statistics and it's in a pretty conservative county. Carthage, Missouri looks even safer from what I can see. Carthage is in a pretty Republican county and it's known for having some pretty conservative Catholic Vietnamese. (If Asian conservatism is okay with you)

East Tennessee is something of a conservative bastion and I imagine it has some nicer towns. It's a bit Appalachian, I think, so might have more poverty or winter than you want.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-13-2009 at 06:06 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I was thinking Knoxville, TN.

It has the perfect four seasons. They each last three months and are mild. If it does snow, which is rare, it usually is a dusting that melts within a few hours, if it sticks at all. Spring and fall are glorious and summer is more tolerable than Charlotte, since we are close to the mountains.

The school system is good. The politics are conservative but tolerant of others. The people are friendly, kind and helpful. Lots and lots of activities.

We do have an airport, but it is not international. However, that hasn't stopped me from loving this bit of heaven on earth.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I'm not sure what kind of suggestion I should make since the post is kind of vague (No budget) but i'll try

Union, NJ is an affordable city (considering it's location)
You'd be very close to the Newark Airport and NYC. Union is also diverse, and schools are good. I'm not sure if your ok with leaving the southern lifestyle to the NNJ/NYC metro lifestyle, a big culture shock I would presume.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of suggestion I should make since the post is kind of vague (No budget) but i'll try

Union, NJ is an affordable city (considering it's location)
You'd be very close to the Newark Airport and NYC. Union is also diverse, and schools are good. I'm not sure if your ok with leaving the southern lifestyle to the NNJ/NYC metro lifestyle, a big culture shock I would presume.

You are right...I was too vague. I was posting way too early in the AM. The Northeast is out...way too much of a mess and way to Liberal for us. We both grew up in Maine & Boston and moved South 5 years ago.

Our budget is around 1MIL for a home and do not need to worry about commute times...but need to be near an airport withing 45 mintues. Right now the two cities we are focusing on are Castle Rock, CO and Southlake, TX.

Also...When I say "Conservative" I mean more Fisically than Socially.

Thanks!!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
You are right...I was too vague. I was posting way too early in the AM. The Northeast is out...way too much of a mess and way to Liberal for us. We both grew up in Maine & Boston and moved South 5 years ago.

Our budget is around 1MIL for a home and do not need to worry about commute times...but need to be near an airport withing 45 mintues. Right now the two cities we are focusing on are Castle Rock, CO and Southlake, TX.

Thanks!!
Interesting. I'm from Massachusetts. I still say Knoxville. However, 1M will get you several beautiful homes.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Actually, I'm thinking of another TN city...Chattanooga. Gorgeous mountain backdrop...access to plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, camping and white water rafting, nice and relatively affordable neighborhoods, good climate. I'm surprised more people don't know what a great small city it is.
1 million should get you a fabulous home with a view on Lookout Mountain.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, I'm thinking of another TN city...Chattanooga. Gorgeous mountain backdrop...access to plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, camping and white water rafting, nice and relatively affordable neighborhoods, good climate. I'm surprised more people don't know what a great small city it is.
1 million should get you a fabulous home with a view on Lookout Mountain.
I agree. That city is beautiful and it was our first choice, based on appearance. This was back in 2005. But we ended up moving to Knoxville because there were more jobs.

Later on, I ended up dealing with a lof of Chattanoogans. I found them to be more cliquey. There's a lot of "good old boy" in the city. People are more apt to ask you where you go to church as opposed to where you are from. Too deep south for us.

Chattanooga was also deluged with transplants. The ones I spoke to hated the place.

The VW plant is suppose to open up there in another year or two, though, so the place might start booming.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post

Thanks!!
Possibly a smaller city in the Southwest then. It might be more "transient" though, I'm not certain. In general I think the "Central Mountain" region is more where you find conservativism that's more fiscal than social. (I mean outside of some places with really hard winters)

Although East Tennessee might still have some possibilities. Representative Jimmy Duncan is in the "Liberty Caucus" with Ron Paul. (Granted I think he's a bit socially conservative too, but against or skeptical of things like the Iraq War)

Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The school system is good.
Really?

It wasn't when I lived in Knoxville in the early 90s. Back then, Tennessee was something like 47th in the country in per-student funding for schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.