Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,988,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusmc View Post
I am wanting to move out of Texas. I Love Texas very much and was born and raised here, but I am wanting something new. I am also getting tired of drought and flat dry land all the time. I am wanting to go North. I like the cold, but I am very much a Largemouth Bass Fishing addict. What I am kinda looking for is a nice community, with good job opportunities, decent cost of living(not to high) near a nice a bass lake or lakes, and maybe at least within 3 hours of a snow skiing resort. (another addicton). Ranching has also been a big part of my life so a farm/ranch community is ok. Not really the open flat land type, had that my whole life I am hoping for good scenery, hiking, biking etc. And some good clean air the Texas dirt storms have caused me to have so many sinus problems including surgery. Any sugestions would be much appreciated.

WHAT?? You want to git out? Surely you're either kidding or ill. No worries they are tracking your ip and will have some people over to start your mind cleansing re-education program, if that doesn't work they will find some way of trapping you here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 AM

10 posts, read 27,212 times
Wow thanks for all the input. I really do love Texas, and the people are amazing here. I just need a change and most of the things that I enjoy I can't do here. Except fishing I love the lakes here. I have lived most of my life in west and northern tx, which is dry and flat, I just really don't want to go south to the houston area, too hot, and no snow skiing. I like the sounds of the NH area. I am not really the city folk type though. Biggest city I ever lived in was little over 40,000 and i lived outside the city limits, I am just country folk you know. Now I would like to be fairly close to a city where I can find things I need and not to far to commute to work. But again thanks for the input again I appreciate it.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
You should consider the area around Portland or Denver. Really great areas, great hiking, skiing, etc.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah ok...Can't tell you how many people I've met who moved back here from there.
Statstics are more important than anecdotal evidence.

Statistic show that 1.2 million people have moved to the DFW area since 2000 and that 1.05 million have moved to the Houston area since 2000.
Given the economy and projected job growth, its not something thats likely to change.

Yes some people move here and are unhappy and leave. But the whole "I know this guy who lived there and hated it" doesnt fly as evidence.

By the way, the OP said he loves it here, he just wants to try something new. He isnt leaving because he hates it.

You should really visit Texas and give the place a chance before trashing it so frequently as you do. I think youre just reacting to a few jacka**es on this board who are over the top.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 09-14-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,117,494 times
Quote:
I am wanting to move out of Texas. I Love Texas very much and was born and raised here, but I am wanting something new. I am also getting tired of drought and flat dry land all the time. I am wanting to go North. I like the cold, but I am very much a Largemouth Bass Fishing addict. What I am kinda looking for is a nice community, with good job opportunities, decent cost of living(not to high) near a nice a bass lake or lakes, and maybe at least within 3 hours of a snow skiing resort. (another addicton). Ranching has also been a big part of my life so a farm/ranch community is ok. Not really the open flat land type, had that my whole life I am hoping for good scenery, hiking, biking etc. And some good clean air the Texas dirt storms have caused me to have so many sinus problems including surgery. Any sugestions would be much appreciated.
Several ideas here. FISHING, SKIING, HIKING, BIKING, RANCHING, likes the COLD, no open FLAT LAND, nice communities, cost of living.

Both COLD and lake FISHING: Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, & New York are on the Great Lakes and have THOUSANDS of other lakes & ponds each. Also consider New England states like Maine and on a smaller scale New Hampshire.

SKIING: All 6 states have skiing (including cross country) but New York and New Hampshire have the mountains and the resorts. Part of NY is in the SNOWBELT. In addition Vermont with its resorts is next to these two states.

HIKING & BIKING: Lots of this in all these states, especially in New York (North Country Trail, Appalachian Trail, Finger Lakes Trail, Long Path etc) and Wisconsin (North Country Trail & Ice Age Trail etc).

NO OPEN FLAT LAND: Most of these 6 states are either heavily forested or partial forest-farmland. Exception is parts of Southern Minnesota which was part of the plains and is now heavily open farmland.

NICE COMMUNITIES: can be found in ANY state but New England is justly famous for them, so add a plus for Maine and New Hampshire. I know Upstate NY also has nice towns (some also look like New England) and I also seen pictures of Wisconsin resort areas that look pretty nice.

RANCHING: Dairy farming and ranching can be found big time in Wisconsin, Michigan and New York. Not sure but probably common in Minnesota too. Not so much in New Hampshire.

COST OF LIVING: Probably the most is New York with its multiple layers of government. Followed probably by parts of New Hampshire which is being influenced by Boston to some extent. The other states will vary by location I think. Sticking to rural areas can help.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 27,212 times
Default thanks

LINative appreciate it, lots of detailed info.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Wow thanks for all the input. I really do love Texas, and the people are amazing here. I just need a change and most of the things that I enjoy I can't do here. Except fishing I love the lakes here. I have lived most of my life in west and northern tx, which is dry and flat, I just really don't want to go south to the houston area, too hot, and no snow skiing. I like the sounds of the NH area. I am not really the city folk type though. Biggest city I ever lived in was little over 40,000 and i lived outside the city limits, I am just country folk you know. Now I would like to be fairly close to a city where I can find things I need and not to far to commute to work. But again thanks for the input again I appreciate it.
Yes, NH is a very nice place to live. It is ranked first in saftey as well as quality of life. The job market is tough here right now just like many other places, however. Many people live in the heavily wooded rural areas of the state and commute to jobs that are 30-60 minutes away in the larger cities.
Another thing that might take adjustment is the lack of diversity. Rural NH is about 99% white.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,117,494 times
Quote:
LINative appreciate it, lots of detailed info.
You are most welcome. And welcome to city data!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, everyone I know who has moved there has moved back.
But Rachael, this isnt evidence of whats really happening. For that we need census numbers, migration pattern documentation, etc. They state that Texas is growing and the overwhelming majority of people are staying here. Im not sure about Houston, but 50% of the city of Dallas was born in another state or another country.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,095,471 times
GETTING BACK ON TOPIC...

...central Oregon has some to most of the things you are looking for - great fishing (not sure about bass though, they seem to be considered more of a nuisance), scenery, lower cost of living (recently), smaller towns, access to ski resorts. However, the job market is terrible. Also quite a bit colder, and you do run into some flat land as you get to the far north-central and eastern parts of the state. But very much a ranching culture there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.