Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
How come Americans doesn't get the benifits from the government when they work so much, and pay extreme taxes.
We don't pay nearly as much as some European countries. Sweden pays nearly 70% income taxes, and places like Germany and France aren't that far behind. All those government services aren't free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
How come Americans doesn't get the benifits from the government when they work so much, and pay extreme taxes.
Because Americans actually pay MUCH less in taxes than most developed countries.

It's a payoff. Most countries take more of your money as taxes, but also provide a lot more social services, free healthcare, safety blankets.

In the USA you get to keep more of your paycheck, but there's also the fact the government isn't going to have your back if you don't follow through with yourself.

In the end the USA is more risky. Bigger winners, bigger losers. Most other countries don't have our blatant wealth among the top 5% or the devestating poverty among the bottom 5%. It's much more evenly spread.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
We don't pay nearly as much as some European countries. Sweden pays nearly 70% income taxes, and places like Germany and France aren't that far behind. All those government services aren't free.
Right - although I've been to Sweden multiple times and have family there. 70% is grossly overrated! It's actually an income tax of around 32% for a vast majority of the population (up to $175K income), and then other taxes for healthcare, etc.

The average total tax for a person is around 50%, compared to roughly 33% in the United States.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,256,094 times
It's the also the culture. Americans are work obsessed and get status and fulfillment from their jobs, especially the higher you go. Many people are forced to take their paid vacation days (or lose them). Corporate types like to feel indispensable, like the would stop without them.

That might happen a little bit in Britain, but certainly not the rest of Europe.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
That is 100% not true. In Scandinavia (and I believe most of Europe), teachers are off the whole summer, which is 10 weeks, and also 3 weeks off Christmas/New Year break, 1 week off from Spring break, 1 week off from Easter break and 2 weeks off from other holidays = 17 weeks.
They also have paid sick/vacation days. However, I don't know if U.S. teacher gets paid more or not.
Okay, it's 100% not true for your county...I'll give you that if you know it for a fact. But you can't speak for all of Scandanavia (you really pretend to know that for a fact?) and it's definitely a true statement for much of Europe. I've taught in the U.S. and I've taught in 2 European countries, and I'm familiar with the education systems in several others. You don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you need an education. american't schools are in session 180 days, europe and asia go b/t 15-30 days more EACH YEAR. Even at just 15 days/year times 12 that's an entire school year that american't kids are under-educated.

and this doesn't include snow or swine flu days that aren't made up. Or the districts that need to make up time so they extend the school day by literally 2mins a day to make up that time instead of having whole day instruction. What really are they going to learn in that extra 2 mins? what a complete joke.

the american't school system is so outdated and what keeps it that way? teachers unions.

you guys always say it's always "about the kids" but when it really comes time to do something about it it's no, no , no.

the school year is still based on a farming society that has no basis in reality. All you teachers ever do is whine, whine, whine, the avg. teacher in my state retires in their mid to late 50's with gov't pension and health insurance, far better than most.
The education system in the U.S. must be bad...you're a product of it I assume?

You make several statements that you can't support with real information. Bravo!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
You know my instant thought was that we have more divorce and broken families then most European countries. So maybe Americans want to spend more time at work as they may consider it to be a "better family", in a sense, than their actual home life.

Although the article leans toward something else which is likely true. Given a choice Americans will prefer more money to more time-off. The "American Dream" is largely to get rich or richer anyway. It's not as much to spend time at a hotel, hostel, lakehouse, or what have you.

As for old people working whether that's "sad" depends on the old people. Some people really enjoying working. I'm not one of those people, but I think it is important for elderly people to stay active if they can. I'd lean more toward "hobbies and active forms of recreation" myself, but some old people find work more stimulating or have friends there. Granted others are forced to by economics, but it just felt like some were going in with the idea old people only work because they're forced to and I don't think that's true.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
I say it's because Americans are known for taking care of things themselves instead of letting the "government" take care of it for them.
They'd rather have a choice than rely on "government" programs...well most of us anyway.

I put "government" in quotes because so many people forget that the "government" is really ourselves.
We elect these people to lead our country. So the big bad government is really the big bad us.

And....we pay far less in taxes than other countries.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

As for old people working whether that's "sad" depends on the old people. Some people really enjoying working. I'm not one of those people, but I think it is important for elderly people to stay active if they can. I'd lean more toward "hobbies and active forms of recreation" myself, but some old people find work more stimulating or have friends there. Granted others are forced to by economics, but it just felt like some were going in with the idea old people only work because they're forced to and I don't think that's true.
I'm not talking about those people.

I'm referring to those who have to work because they can't live off of whatever retirement money they accrued while working-maybe they just didnt make enough? And there are plenty who have to work(cause it pays more than the govt) thus making themselves ineligible for social security benefits since they are still working full time.

I don't know what can be done. Maybe give them free medical care and medications.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

594 posts, read 1,192,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
That's waaay to high. Swedes pays 32% income taxes, but they still work much less than avg. American, and takes off a lot and has paid vacation and sickdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.