Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for 80-year old workers.... WTF retire and get out and enjoy your life, family, travel before you die any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
teachers like you are always whining at how difficult life is and when pressed on the issue with facts you always back off because in reality the vast majority of teachers have it very good in this country. Most do retire earlier than the private sector with state pension and health insurance.

there is no ''teacher shortage'' in this country. if so, even outside of the recession, there wouldn't be 15, 50, 150 apps for every job.

there are many people with teaching degrees who haven't landed a job in 2 or 3 years. There's no shortage.

if teaching was so rough then why are so many people lined up for the jobs?

let's face it, there are 2 jobs whose employees are always whining how difficult life is, nursing and teaching, and it's not a coincidence that they're both historically woman dominated.

It's because people expect it to be easy with summers off. A lot of people quit teaching pretty quick once they realize it isn't what they expect, especially teaching in inner-cities.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's because people expect it to be easy with summers off. A lot of people quit teaching pretty quick once they realize it isn't what they expect, especially teaching in inner-cities.
It doesn't get more inner-city then Cleveland..... a student could shoot at him and he wouldn't quit. I'd trade my 49 weeks a year and 3 sick days job with you in a heartbeat, sister.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I feel bad for 80-year old workers.... WTF retire and get out and enjoy your life, family, travel before you die any day!
Seperate reply warranted for this. I could not agree with you more. Woman I worked with contined working after she was elgibile for SS until she got max benefits. Died 3 weeks after she retired. Worth it?
If I am still working come legal retirement age, I retire THAT DAY.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I scan the obituary column every single day. Those that strike my interest the most are those dying at 62 and 65. Each time, I hope, hope, hope that they had the brains to not put off all their leisure travel until their retirement years.

Tomorrow morning, at any intersection, God might be in need of a good laugh that day and you might be the cause for his laughter, as you speed through a green light and the other person crossing that interection is color blind.

Aren't we all born gamblers?

I love that Eastern saying: Every day you don't contemplate your own death is a totally wasted day.

I happily contemplate my death each and every day. No gambler here. All my world travels have already been done. Ready for the next intersection.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Bizchick, it won't let me rep you again, but EXCELLENT post! Wish EVERYONE could be related to a GOOD teacher to see what they go thru. My wife loves her job. But I don't know HOW she puts up with the bovine excrement that goes with it...
Np! Same way I feel when I see all the ish my parents go through who have been teachers in public schools for decades.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
and if you were to quit there'd be plenty of other canadates there to take your place, even outside of recession times , what does that tell you about the teacher "shortage"?

when it comes to state or federal gov't pay, benefits, tenure, security, pension and health insurace, (for life), there are always plenty of takers.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It doesn't get more inner-city then Cleveland..... a student could shoot at him and he wouldn't quit. I'd trade my 49 weeks a year and 3 sick days job with you in a heartbeat, sister.

Well, you can't really say a city could be compared to another city with how bad the behavior is in the schools. There are some schools in the south Bronx where administration is very strong and the kids are very well-behaved. It really all depends on the school. But the more run-down an area, the more likely the kids have more problems.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
an innocent question. for those who have lived overseas it would make more sense.
the people that live in france dont have the opportunity you do here. if you work hard you can have something here unless you goof and have rotten kids and a back stabbing wife or if the company tries to back stab you b4 retirement. stuff happens.
but here in america you got a shot at it, there in france forget it.
been there done that.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I left the "normal" 9-5 work force and decided to freelance and work on my own business for many of the reasons everyone is going back and forth on here. My life spent with my husband is far more important than the money or "title" I might end up with working for a corporation for 20 years and selling my soul to it.

The thing is, many Americans aspire to be "at the top" of a company, and in the process they eschew their personal lives for this. Sure, I would enjoy great affluence one day--but I'd much prefer to have moderate success and be able to spend time with my husband over being some silly "businesswoman" for a company that could lay me off any time and ruin my career. I don't need the shiny new car each year and massive McMansion if I have people in my life to care about; still, I know many that wish for the opposite. Also, I think that a good deal of Americans aren't happy enough with their personal lives to even WANT to have more time off to spend with their spouses/families.

Generally speaking, many Americans are materialistic, opportunistic, and competitive by nature. They want stuff, they want money, and they want to be at the top, damn it! In the defense of the US, there's a TON of opportunity here that doesn't exist in many counties--even in Europe. Much of my family lives in Ireland, and I can assure you that they have much less access to different possibilities as far as work as I do here in America.

Personally speaking, I work to live...but since I enjoy what I do, it's my work is also like a "hobby" for me as well. I don't care about how much or how little money I make at any given moment; that's not what matters in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.