Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I left Gainesville in 1971 after 6 months and moved back to NY. I hope to leave Naples (2 years too long) VERY SOON and go back to NY, for good.

Yes, I think it is a trend.
Maybe from Florida it is, but not for North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas South Carolina or Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 AM

139 posts, read 314,914 times
I got annoyed with Michigan in general and I now live in England. It's too cold and rainy here. In March (I'm thinking), I plan on moving down to Florida or maybe California...unless I get leave to remain in the EU and then I might consider somewhere like Spain. I love Spain.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWishedThatItWasABee View Post
I got annoyed with Michigan in general and I now live in England. It's too cold and rainy here. In March (I'm thinking), I plan on moving down to Florida or maybe California...unless I get leave to remain in the EU and then I might consider somewhere like Spain. I love Spain.
How did you end up going from MI to England? I know a guy from London who moved a few yrs ago to the Costa Blanca of Spain. He and his family love it, I would definetly check that out.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I left Gainesville in 1971 after 6 months and moved back to NY. I hope to leave Naples (2 years too long) VERY SOON and go back to NY, for good.

Yes, I think it is a trend.
What was Gainesville like back in '71? It must have been very rural except for UF. Good luck with your move to NY, I'm jealous! I looked at the temp. while driving home tonite at 6:30 pm and it was 90°, yes 90° at 6:30pm at the end of Sept. I sooo long for the day I can go outside and not sweat, where I can see a leaf change colors, or walk on real grass. Soon(sooner for you) we will both be free of this place, and I highly doubt either one of us will spend much(if any) time looking back! Take care & have a good nite.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWishedThatItWasABee View Post
go to spain

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I moved away from Detroit cuss I didnt like it much. Mainly due to the economy and wanting something different. My choices were limited due to my husband's line of work. He got a fab job offer in Northern Indiana and we decided to give it a shot (although Indiana was never on my radar). I was excited at first since it meant better financial stability but I can honestly say, the longer I am here, the less I like it. It depresses me sometimes as I was more hopeful about the outcome but I guess one doesnt really know how things will be until they try. Im thinking when my son graduates from HS in 5 yrs, we may move again. I dont know. I guess I will have to see how the economy is at that point.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM

21 posts, read 92,664 times
We are leaving Phoenix, Arizona on October 23rd and moving to Missoula, Montana. We are doing this with very little, and I am leaving a very good job. Everyone thinks I am crazy for leaving a great job, but it's just not enough to keep us here -- we really hate it that much. We have been here for roughly two years and we have not liked it at all. I guess what ended up really happening was I started having anxiety, just due to boredom and depression from living here. I had anxiety attacks for about a week, and having no family around was really difficult. We both realized that our family lives in the PacNW and that we just enjoy living there far more. We decided to leave after only a few days discussing, and put in my two weeks the very next day. It's kind of scary since it's happening so fast, but really I couldn't be happier. I'd rather be somewhat poor/struggling/happy in a place than have money and be completely unhappy.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphx View Post
We are leaving Phoenix, Arizona on October 23rd and moving to Missoula, Montana. We are doing this with very little, and I am leaving a very good job. Everyone thinks I am crazy for leaving a great job, but it's just not enough to keep us here -- we really hate it that much. We have been here for roughly two years and we have not liked it at all. I guess what ended up really happening was I started having anxiety, just due to boredom and depression from living here. I had anxiety attacks for about a week, and having no family around was really difficult. We both realized that our family lives in the PacNW and that we just enjoy living there far more. We decided to leave after only a few days discussing, and put in my two weeks the very next day. It's kind of scary since it's happening so fast, but really I couldn't be happier. I'd rather be somewhat poor/struggling/happy in a place than have money and be completely unhappy.
Good luck and congrats on finding a place you like, and most importantly for getting out of an area that makes you miserable. My family hated Florida and never intended to stay but got trapped because of money and the fear of leaving a stable job. It is 35 yrs later, and if you think they grew to love the area, you think wrong. I highly recommend moving away from a place you hate before a job, financial responsibilities, or family obligations end up trapping and tying you down. We are all finally moving out next yr but its been a long long time comming.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 92,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Good luck and congrats on finding a place you like, and most importantly for getting out of an area that makes you miserable. My family hated Florida and never intended to stay but got trapped because of money and the fear of leaving a stable job. It is 35 yrs later, and if you think they grew to love the area, you think wrong. I highly recommend moving away from a place you hate before a job, financial responsibilities, or family obligations end up trapping and tying you down. We are all finally moving out next yr but its been a long long time comming.

Yeah, it's really scary because we have a 9 month old baby. My job here pays $60k/year, and I'll be lucky to make $15 an hour in Missoula. However, what happened for us is we became complacent. We are single income household, so really the $60k is not actually a lot. However, we manage to pay our bills and rent every month, and have just a bit left over after all that. Since we've been able to pay our bills we really have not had a fire to finish our education (I have one year left and she has three years), and being here we just seem to accept everything. I've seen other members of my family move to different areas (e.g., Fresno) and end up staying solely because their jobs. I do not want to end up living in Phoenix just because I have a job that allows us to get by. It's just not worth it. We plan on heading up to Missoula and going to school, and honestly I think struggling will be some good inspiration to actually go back to school and complete it. In the end we will be able to provide our son ( and future children ) a better life.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM

74 posts, read 205,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphx View Post
I think struggling will be some good inspiration to actually go back to school and complete it. In the end we will be able to provide our son ( and future children ) a better life.
In the business world (especially in entrepreneurship), what you're doing is called "bootstrapping." Good luck, you sound like you have strong convictions about what you're doing, which will help when it gets tough.

Ironically, my wife and I are leaving NC for Phoenix. To each their own I guess. There's no perfect place, just a perfect place for you. I believe Phoenix will be that for my wife and I.

Our reasons are similar to yours. Her family is gradually starting to move out of NC. Strangely, they seem to heading towards Az. One sister already lives in Gilbert. I have lived in Greensboro, NC, all my life and can't say a bad thing about it. I actually love it here. Although, I don't have any family here anymore and I believe Phoenix will end up being a better fit for my wife and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.