Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times

Advertisements

Basically any large city on the east coast, from Washington D.C to New York City.
Also small towns on the east coast, from Jamestown to Plymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:15 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Basically any large city on the east coast, from Washington D.C to New York City.
Also small towns on the east coast, from Jamestown to Plymouth.
I would add some Southern cities you did not mention, all dating from the colonial era.

Saint Augustine, Florida
Savannah, Georgia
Charleston & Georgetown, South Carolina
Wilmington & New Bern, North Carolina
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News area, Historic Triangle area, Alexandria, Richmond, Virginia
New Orleans, Louisana
Mobile, Alabama
Natchez, Mississippi

For civil war era history, most of the above cities are notable again, especially Richmond. Lots of cities here but I would add Vicksburg, Fredericksburg, Petersburg & the Shenadoah Valley-Harpers Ferry area first. And of course, Gettysburg up north in Pennsylvania.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I've lived in NY, MD, and TN and think the South overall is more attuned to history. Many festivals and military parks celebrate some aspect of history and I have been to more living history events (period dress, re-enactments) in the last 3 years than I have the other 55 years of my life.

Surprisingly though, I have not attended a Civil War re-enactment since moving to Tennessee although I have been in the presence of some of the Civil War re-enactment groups at other events.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:50 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Ste. Genevieve, Missouri is the oldest town west of the MIssissippi. We visited there a couple of years ago and I really loved the historical feel of it. Like stepping back in time a couple of hundred years.
My hometown........ some of the folk on this forum call me the "unofficial ambassador" for Sainte Genevieve.

Tourism Sainte Genevieve Missouri Events French Heritage Homes & Architecture

Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I've lived in the Boston, Massachusetts area; New Orleans, La, Newport, RI and Charleston, SC.

Boston isn't all quaint historical buildings. Much of it is modern with big sckyscrapers mixed in. I certainly wouldn't choose anywhere in Massachusetts due to the state health insurance mandate and vaccination mandate in the event of a pandemic. There are very few health plans to choose from; most are mediocre and all are VERY expensive for what you get. This is due to state insurance regulations messing up the insurance industry.

Newport, has some historic sections. There are a few cobblestone streets and the mansions on Bellevue Avenue have all been beautifully restored. The waterfront is very pretty and actually the view of Newport from the island just to the west where the town of Jamestown is, is BREATHTAKING. Narragansett bay where Jamestown and Newport are located on the shores of is where the 12 Meter Yachts would practice back in the 70's and 80's when the America's Cup RAces were held there. If you like sailing; history and a smaller town feel, I would choose Newport.

If your pocketbook can handle it. Downtown Charleston, SC has to be the most beautiful living historical city where few if any of the historical buildings were town down. In fact Charlestonians kept rebuilding and rebuilding no matter what misfortune befel it whether it was the Civil War, floods, hurricanes or earthquakes. MANY of the roads are cobblestone. Some of the buildings date back to the 1600s and many to the 1700's. The modern parts of the city are farther back in the peninsula. There is architecture galore and secret gardens galore. The peninsula juts out into Charleston Harbor and there are parks all long the waterfront on all sides. Visit Charleston, SC | Charleston, SC Tourism Info from Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. It is not cheap to live in this part of Charleston, but if you can afford it, you'll love it. There are also many many great restaurants some known nationally and a few are considered amoung the best in the world. There are loads of art galleries and lots going on similar to what you might find in a city like Boston but with a smaller town feel.

The Newport, RI waterfront has limited public access, without having to drive to it. Welcome to the City of Newport, Rhode Island. The ambiance is quaint however. It is just a small town and summer resort so once the summer tourists have gone, there isn't a lot to do. There are some good restaurants and Boston is about 1.5 hours away and Providence is 45 mins away.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimara View Post
Hi all,

So I'm looking to make a location change and I'm looking for a place where history is part of everyday life. Somewhere where it's all around you, from the buildings, to the natural environment, you name it. I remember going to a friend's place on the James River in Virginia when I was a teenager and being dumbstruck by not only how beautiful it was (gorgeous) but also all the history that had taken place there, it just blew me away and I've always thought I would live in a place somewhere like that. I know that sounds like an odd request, especially when considering a place to live, but I work freelance from home and therefore am able to move to pretty much anyplace within the continental US and I thought I might as well take this rare opportunity to go someplace that might be considered slightly impractical. I'd prefer somewhere on the east coast, I've lived in the west for the last few years and would like to head back east. I do have a little girl, who will eventually need to go to school, so I also need to have good school options nearby. I believe in the school of thought that parent-involvement and participation makes a school experience complete, but having a decent school to begin with really helps the process.

I've already considered the Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown area of Virginia and plan on taking a trip there to look at my options as far as housing is concerned, but I was hoping I could get some other options as well. They don't all need to be in Virginia, not at all, that's just the only one I've personally had experience with!
Boston and Philadelphia

Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Places in Upstate NY I can think of off the top of my head are: Sackets Harbor, Ticonderoga, Oswego, Albany, Seneca Falls and Saratoga Springs, among many others.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Kalimara--it sounds as if you are seeking many of the same things I am. I grew up in a very small town in Illinois. Even back then, places like St. Genevieve, MO and New Salem, IL enchanted me with their history. However, living in Southeastern PA for 11 years was like the crown jewel of being in the middle of more US history than you could ever want to take in. I loved every minute of it--except the grey winters which lasted just a little too long. I have been in Orlando now since 2001 and I greatly miss being surrounded by history. Because I moved to Florida with 4 school-age children, moving them around all the time was no longer an option--so I have been "stuck" here in Orlando.

For the past 2 years I have been searching for my mecca/utopia with hopes of returning to someplace rich in history. Almost anyplace that you would go in the 13 original colonies will put you right smack in the middle of a lot of American history--or within a very short drive of such a place--whether it is architectural history, living history, or historical sites. In the 11 years I was in PA, I couldln't begin to explore every nook and cranny that was rich in history--and I explore a lot!!!

I have personally visited almost every place listed in the above postings and find something to love about all of them. For me, it has become a matter of deciding 1)how much winter I want to deal with; 2) how big/small city I want to be in. 3)finding the demographics that I am most comfortable in. This is no easy chore. Like you, I can locate just about anywhere I choose to--which is a blessing, but also a curse--as their are so many wonderful choices.

If I can answer any questions on specific places you have in mind, I would be more than happy to. Good Luck to you in your search.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM

26 posts, read 135,873 times
You guys have all been really helpful, so thank you. As for the questions itsajourney asked in their last post; I am not in love with winter (not at all) but I have lived in the mountain west for many years and I am very used to it. I would be happy with a place that maintained it's roads and isn't as severe as Rochester NY (lived there for a year and wow, talk about never ending snow). Size wise I'm more inclined towards smaller, not tiny, but certainly not a big major city-45 minutes/1 hour of a major airport is perfect for me. As for demographics, I'm not quite sure how to interpret that one, something as in median salary? I think I'm more concerned about safety than anything else in terms of statistics. I don't mind living a little off the beaten path as long as it's safe. Super safe. Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
My first response would be Williamsburg, VA based on what you said. Although, again, there are many places that would fit the bill. Williamsburg-4 seasons, but mild winters. Smaller town between 2 very large metro areas where you can find anything you want or need (Richmond & Hampton Roads). Very safe and family friendly. Surrounded by history everywhere. At least 2 airports very close by: Richmond & Newport News. Williamsburg is a little more expensive and more affluent than some of the surrounding areas-but worth it, if you can afford it.

You will find yourself immersed in history in most areas of Virginia, Pennsylvania (particularly southeastern PA), Connecticut & Massachusetts. This is not to take anything away from all of the other states up and down the east coast-all have pockets rich in history.

Obviously, smaller towns will be safer than larger towns and cities as a whole, but all cities have their safer areas too. I'm not sure if you are thinking small town or small city.

I would move back to PA in a heartbeat except that I really don't want the grey skies of winter looming for quite so long. I just returned from Philadelphia last week--and I still love it!

Up until this summer, I have taken most of my exploratory trips during December & January because I want a taste of what winter is like at any place I might consider. It's kind of a bummer because of the limited amount of daylight, but at least I get a good idea of just how cold/cloudy someplace is.

On the other hand, I have had many pleasant surprises awaiting me because I get to see how these places decorate for and celebrate the holidays. Last year I drove into Frankllin, NC on a Friday & Waynesville, NC on Saturday--and had the most enjoyable time witnessing their old-time Christmas celebrations. I felt like they had planned the whole thing just for me...It was really a good old-fashioned fun-time in both towns. Loved it! And, Dahlonega, GA--same thing. Seeing the Christmas lights all around the town square and getting to see snow to boot--it was heaven! It had to have been planned just for me, cause I don't think they get that much snow on the Georgia side of the mountains--and this was in early December...That trip was like a fairytale...and I loved all of the people. They were so kind and helpful.

Having grown up in the midwest, I can tell you that winters in southeastern PA are MUCH milder than winters in central & northern Illinois. Sometimes it snows quite a bit in southeastern PA and some years not so much. I personally enjoyed the rolling hills in the area and the mountains just to the north of where I was (Harrisburg, PA area)

Demographics=race, religion, economics, attitudes, politics, education, etc. Figuring out where I will feel like I "fit" in the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.