Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
The Dallas metro area is larger than Houston's, and Miami is as much of an 'international' city as Houston, and Atlanta is the capital of the South.

Why would you be ashamed if you lived in Houston? Annise Parker doesn't strike me as a raging liberal, but then again I don't know too much about her...
Actually, the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area (encompassing over 16 counties!) is larger than the Houston metro by, guess how much, the population of Fort Worth. And, no, Miami isn't quite as international as one would think. It has attracted more immigration from Central and South America but doesn't have as diverse a population as Houston. And, Atlanta is the only large city in the entire state of Georgia. Not really a comparison...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Actually, the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area (encompassing over 16 counties!) is larger than the Houston metro by, guess how much, the population of Fort Worth. And, no, Miami isn't quite as international as one would think. It has attracted more immigration from Central and South America but doesn't have as diverse a population as Houston. And, Atlanta is the only large city in the entire state of Georgia. Not really a comparison...
Agreed for the most part. I think Houston is overshadowed by Dallas and maybe Austin (gag ) to outsiders, but Texans know the real deal. If any city in Texas is overshadowed even to other Texans it would be El Paso!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
The Dallas/Fort Worth Metro area is almost EXACTLY the same size in square milage as the Houston metro area. You left that part out, but since your objective is to try and make Houston look better and not to have an actually discussion, that sounds about right.

And other than New York and LA, Miami is the most international city in the country.

And we wont hear from you again on this thread will we?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Agreed for the most part. I think Houston is overshadowed by Dallas and maybe Austin (gag ) to outsiders, but Texans know the real deal. If any city in Texas is overshadowed even to other Texans it would be El Paso!
The only way I would say Dallas overshadows Houston is in pop culture. Dallas is more popular in the media. In real life, neither Dallas (or DFW) or Houston overshadow each other.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
In real life, neither Dallas (or DFW) or Houston overshadow each other.
Exactly.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
(I'll repeat what I basically said in a similar thread)

IMO, just another example of how misunderstood and underrated Houston really is to most outsiders, because they can't see past geographic location and tired stereotypes.

Houston is also the largest municipal purchaser of "green" electricity.

As far as these so-called progressive actions... Houston is unique in Texas that it doesn't "try" so hard to be "progressive" or "weird" or anything, really. For example, the Montrose area probably wouldn't be as genuinely cool as it is if Houston had strong zoning laws.

Houston just is what it is. There isn't much of a status quo.
It's much more progressive, sophisticated and advanced than people give it credit for. However, it's definitely not politically liberal like many cities on the east or west coast (nor is the rest of Texas, especially fiscally... thank God.)
This is why I highly respect cities like Houston. It doesn't waste its time talking about how progressive it is, but just lives it! This is compared to places that brag, rant, and throw ticker parades about their "liberalness" yet when the rubber meets the road, these cities turn out to be some of the most close-minded and bigoted places on earth, even worse than the up-front conservatives places.

This election result doesn't surprise me one bit, realizing that Houston (and gradually, Texas itself) is growing out of the days of wanting to be butt-buddies with the Old South's Negative Ways. Congrats on your new mayor and best wishes.

-Signed, someone who only wishes he was in a more genuinely progressive area.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This thread must not turn into a debate about which metro area is better than Houston or vice versa. That is off-topic for General US and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Feel free to discuss such comparisons in City vs. City. Here's a reminder of the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
The openly gay woman is leading last poll I saw.

Dallas shifted left time last election, continuing an ongoing trend in that area. More blue collar Houston, while always controlled by dems, has always lagged behind Dallas and Austin in terms of openly progressive changes.

Are other American cities moving this way, or are some becoming more conservative?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
The major cities on the west coast and in the northeast still haven't elected a gay mayor yet. What this means is Houston is more progressive than most cities in these liberal areas.
While Parker's election is certainly commendable on how it reflects on Houstonians, I wouldn't go quite that far. What it means is that Houston, and the rest of urban Texas for that matter, isn't as conservative as people think it is.

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people on the west coast and in the northeast view Texans as redneck Republicans. This will help break that stereotype. Houston is moving up in the world. The old south is disappearing into history.
And you're not wrong. I can't tell you how many people here are incredulous that I'm from Houston. "Wow! What a change! It must be so different here to you!" And I'm like, "No, not really." LOL I think ever since the blue and red divide came up during the 2004 presidential election, people have exacerbated the differences between people in different regions to the point of insanity. I met a woman here who didn't know we had Barnes & Noble's and Starbucks in Houston. I mean, come on! It's not like I moved to Mars or something!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
While Parker's election is certainly commendable on how it reflects on Houstonians, I wouldn't go quite that far. What it means is that Houston, and the rest of urban Texas for that matter, isn't as conservative as people think it is.

And you're not wrong. I can't tell you how many people here are incredulous that I'm from Houston. "Wow! What a change! It must be so different here to you!" And I'm like, "No, not really." LOL I think ever since the blue and red divide came up during the 2004 presidential election, people have exacerbated the differences between people in different regions to the point of insanity. I met a woman here who didn't know we had Barnes & Noble's and Starbucks in Houston. I mean, come on! It's not like I moved to Mars or something!
Sad lol

I remember when I use to visit DC and people there were so misinformed about Texas. It's sad when people don't even know we have Starbucks. Hell, Waco has a barnes and nobles and starbucks! I remember I was in DC and they go to me; "I bet you never seen skyscrapers have you?"; and I just go "these things are called skyscrapers?" lol

They started laughing, but I don't think they were aware that I was kind of insulting their "skyline".

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
The Dallas metro area is larger than Houston's, and Miami is as much of an 'international' city as Houston, and Atlanta is the capital of the South.

Why would you be ashamed if you lived in Houston? Annise Parker doesn't strike me as a raging liberal, but then again I don't know too much about her...
I wasnt referring to the Metro, I was referring to the fact that Houston is the 4th biggest city in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.