Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM

440 posts, read 776,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Don't worry, I look white and I couldn't make friends with anybody in Portland either. It's just the way the region is. Good luck.
LOL, i've been told I dont look hispanic myself.
Most be that cold weather and grey skies out here that brings out the warmth in them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
Take a look into the Hartford or New Haven areas of Connecticut. Both have at least a couple of Cuban restaurants and I think there may be a Cuban bakery in Hartford.

When I lived in the Hartford area I can recall meeting quite a few Cubans through work. I'm not sure which neighborhoods or suburbs they call home but that should not be too difficult to find out.

Here's an example of one Hartford Cuban restaurant:

Hartford Advocate: Dining - Cuban On Franklin

Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Union City, NJ

I worked their for a while, and it was once known for having more Cubans per square mile than Havana, Cuba.
I'm not sure if that's the case today, but I know that the Cuban population is still high, and it's a safe, quaint city (it's one of the most densely populated cities in America).

One thing is for sure though; Knowing a lot of the Spanish language is a huge plus if you were ever planning on moving there.

It's also extremely close to Manhattan (The Lincoln tunnel is 1 mile away.)
With that said, it's not in a warm climate though.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
LOL, i've been told I dont look hispanic myself.
Most be that cold weather and grey skies out here that brings out the warmth in them
Haha, that could be.

I dunno. There have been studies and stuff... I think people are just really insular and into themselves up here to some degree. My group of friends are that way. I'm probably a lot more outgoing than most NWerners, but still I can be really standoffish too... I dunno. It's a weird thing.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
New Orleans. A good friend of mine was born in Havana and left with his family in 1961. They ended up in NO because of the number of relatives and friends that had ended up there post-revolution. However, Cuban immigration to the city had been taking place since the very early 1800's.
Here's are a couple of articles on the subject of the Cuban community in the NOLA area:

Music and Dance in South Louisiana's Cuban Community

The Cuban Danzon (http://www.arhoolie.com/titles/7032c.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
New Orleans. A good friend of mine was born in Havana and left with his family in 1961. They ended up in NO because of the number of relatives and friends that had ended up there post-revolution. However, Cuban immigration to the city had been taking place since the very early 1800's.
Here's are a couple of articles on the subject of the Cuban community in the NOLA area:

Music and Dance in South Louisiana's Cuban Community

The Cuban Danzon (http://www.arhoolie.com/titles/7032c.shtml - broken link)

My grandfather came from Cuba to New Orleans.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Towns who are usually friendly to Cubans are the towns that are diversed. Like NYC, Jersey City, Union city NJ, Philly, Jacksonville, Va Beach, Norfolk etc..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
From a Wikipedia search on "Cuban-American":

"Many communities throughout the United States have significant Cuban American populations. However Miami, Florida stands out as the most prominent Cuban American community, in part because of its proximity to Cuba. It is followed by North Jersey, particularly Union City and West New York."

New Jersey. Who would have guessed?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Well I'm not surprised that several others mentioned Union City, NJ. When I lived in nearby Montclair, I went over to Union City many times to visit some friends that lived there. Take a stroll along Bergenline Ave and it feels like half a world away from Jersey. Stop at a street side stand for a cup of cuban coffee (strong expresso style) with a cuban grilled sandwich. Add in some great tropical music coming out of all kinds of stores and restaurants, and no wonder so many people from Cuba feel pretty comfortable living around Union City. Most towns work hard to get people to "shop local". In Union City, the streets are filled with people walking from home to all sorts of local owned businesses instead of driving to big box stores in the suburban mega-malls. There's a strong sense of community and a lot of pride in their city, so even though there is a lot of cultural affiliation with Cuba in Union City, they have also adopted a lot of American values which have been cast aside in many other places in our country.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM

440 posts, read 776,648 times
Other then being a Cuban hot spot, whats Union city like? I always figured NYC and jersey to be about as nasty as a town could be. first stop on the Armageddon tour : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.