Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times

Advertisements

Middle class

Lower class

minority

liberal

conservative

etc........

We have a fixation with putting labels on people and ourselves. Why?

Does it make us feel good or better when we label someone that is "not like us"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,841,527 times
It's not just Americans, it's humans in general. We have a tendency to want to group things together for better understanding.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,159 times
The marketing and advertising industry plays a psychological role in making people think they want, even need these kinds of things.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,146 times
Is this not prevalent in other countries? I would highly doubt it's exclusive to Americans.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM

113 posts, read 263,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Is this not prevalent in other countries? I would highly doubt it's exclusive to Americans.
I'm from England and totally agree with this comment....

Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Middle class

Lower class

minority

liberal

conservative

etc........

We have a fixation with putting labels on people and ourselves. Why?

Does it make us feel good or better when we label someone that is "not like us"?
Good question....all cultures do this, so it seems to be part of how we think. However, I believe that in our times especially; these "labels" are used to pit one group against another or for blaming certain groups for all our problems.

Sometimes I think governments encourage such divisive behavior because if each group is blaming etc. another group; then the liklihood of everyone joining and working together is severly diminished. This ensures the power base of said government can maintain control, without fear of the people trying to overthrow or change said government.

It is a psychological move like putting "horseblinders" on people and manipulating the populace.Moderator cut: off topic And these are my opinions from a long life of seeing too much B.S. in politics. Remember "The Prince" by Machiavelli????

Last edited by Bo; 09-25-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: National politics are off topic everywhere but the P&OC forum.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
It's not just Americans, it's humans in general. We have a tendency to want to group things together for better understanding.
Yup. The times I've been overseas and the times I've had foreign exchange students here I've had some interesting conversations.

Let's see...according to the conversations I've had, many foreigners thought that we Americans were:

All loud.
All slobs.
All rich.
All fat.
All carry guns.
All dress like sluts.
All act like sluts.
All are Bible-beaters.
All see crimes committed daily.
All commit crimes daily.
Still ride horses.
Still lived in teepees and have trouble with the occasional "Indian uprising".
Act like John Wayne.
Act like Dirty Harry.
Use drugs.
Sell drugs.
Go to church daily.
Want to bomb everyone.
Bomb the wrong ones.
Blindly support our government.
Throw our weight around too much.
Don't throw it around enough.
Live in the city.
Live on a ranch.

Just a sampling of some of the more common misconceptions. My most common reaction is generally, "Thanks, Hollywood!"

People everywhere are just more comfortable labeling people--it's helps us come to terms with what we don't know and make sense--however wrong it may be--of the world.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:24 PM

58 posts, read 161,477 times
lol most of my america is:
All loud.
All slobs.
All carry guns.
All dress like sluts.
All act like sluts.
All see crimes committed daily.
All commit crimes daily.
Use drugs.
Sell drugs.
Go to church daily.
Live in the city.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.