Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times

Advertisements

Hey, they all have the Spanish/N African blooded in them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,773 times
I know this girl who was born in Spain, and brought to America as a baby, and her father is Spanish, yet claims only her Native American side of her mother. Although I told her once, she is Hispanic just like the rest of us Hispanics. I mean my parents are from Guatemala, the biggest Mayan population holding country in the world, yet i do not claim I am only Mayan because I am not. Our blood has been mixed with the Spanish blood already. Although I am one of the darker Hispanics, and resemble more a Native then I do Spanish, that doesn't mean I am full Mayan.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
That could be a personal choice issue, maybe she doesn't like her Dad.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 40,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasIllmatic View Post
This question is about Hispanics that are Mestizo (mixed Native American and Spanish origin) only. Can a person who is this type of Hispanic say, when asked, that he is half Native American and half Spanish instead of just saying Hispanic? I heard a Mestizo say in a class that he has Native American blood in him and the whole class laughed and a student corrected him and said that he is Hispanic, not Native American--- even though he is also Native American.

Also, how do Native Americans (100%) see Hispanics? Do they see them as being fake?
Native American is not Hispanic. Hispanic means those people with cultural origins in Spain. Not all Hispanics are mixed either. Some are just White, some are only are White and Black, some just Black. Native Americans are American and not Hispanic.

If you do want to go way back the majority of people in the world have an ancestor of a different race. Most of the famous "White" people you see in everyday life, be it TV, movies, your trip to the grocery store, school, ect are multiracial. Many only a generation or two ago. They just choose to classify themselves as White.

The terms Hispanic/Latino have got to go and "White America" needs to realize most of them are mixed race. Even in Europe there are tons of people who are mixed race decent. People just go by what they look like.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
In Mexico it actually varies. There are a lot of the Spanish who have produced mostly among themselves and have little Indian in them. This population of Mexico does not migrate to the states nearly as much as the Indian-Mexicans that we are used to. I've met a few but it's just that ~ a few. So. . .

Depending on the "Mestizo's" actual bloodline, the kids could have been correct. But chances are that they didn't have a clue, and were mistaken. But a lot of Americans don't have a clue about the Spanish population in Mexico.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
um...

there are A LOT, A LARGE population of ppl all over mexico, central america and south america that are native americans AND they are spanish speaking. that class sounds mad ignorant.
they owe that kid an apology.

hell, most of the mexicans/mexican americans walking around stateside have native american blood in them.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 AM

47 posts, read 128,960 times
Yes, the vast majority of Mexicans are Native American. BTW, a lot probably have more native blood in them than many of the Native Americans who affiliate with tribes in the U.S., as many of them are mixed also. It is absolutely correct to call them Native American/Indigenous. Hispanic is not a race and implies origins in Spain-Europe-White. You can look at pictures of Native Americans from the U.S. and many Mexicans/Central Americans or even those in South America and they are of course very similar.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM

42 posts, read 69,696 times
there's millions of not mixed native americans in mexico,central america,ecuador,peru,bolivia with spanish surnames because their ancestors were forced to change their native surnames.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cut3 View Post
there's millions of not mixed native americans in mexico,central america,ecuador,peru,bolivia with spanish surnames because their ancestors were forced to change their native surnames.

Theres well over 60 million pure indigenous peoples left in all of latin america and another 200 million or so people of mainly mixed indian and white ancestry.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Spain is considered a Hispanic or Latino country. It is part of Europe, and it has a different culture than Latin American nations, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.