Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the wealthiest states would you live in?
Maryland 20 9.95%
New Jersey 31 15.42%
Connecticut 10 4.98%
Alaska 9 4.48%
Hawaii 11 5.47%
Massachusetts 25 12.44%
New Hampshire 8 3.98%
Virginia 19 9.45%
California 44 21.89%
Washington 24 11.94%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
There are 4 or 5 states without a state income tax but I've never heard of a state without a sales tax. Man NH is a rich person's dream. I guess the quality of life is pretty high if you have real low taxes and Manchester, NH is close enough to Boston to commute.
Delaware=no sales tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:
Yeah from 35 east to 45 it will be nice and crowded. I guess TX real estate isn't always going to be cheap. Once it's nice and crowded the prices will have to go up.
That or they're just going to keep building the same way our country has for many years now...there's plenty of land available for development in Texas, so if all eslse fails, they can always s p r a w l ... which is probably what we'll see happen.

I'm sure there are plenty of Mayors of small-towns in Texas that wouldn't mind taking advantage of growth opportunities.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,052,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Delaware=no sales tax
OK. I've always heard about the northeast being a high tax place but it sounds like this might not be totally true. DE and NH don't have sales taxes. NH doesn't have a state income tax. It sounds like the northeast isn't as bad on taxes as a lot of people make it out to be.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That or they're just going to keep building the same way our country has for many years now...there's plenty of land available for development in Texas, so if all eslse fails, they can always s p r a w l ... which is probably what we'll see happen.

I'm sure there are plenty of Mayors of small-towns in Texas that wouldn't mind taking advantage of growth opportunities.
Very true. I guess in America they like to sprawl because there is a lot of land available and everybody wants a big house, yard, etc. If you have a real urban environment like NYC or Hong Kong then you don't have a yard and you have a small apartment instead of a big house. There are pros and cons to both environments but I guess most people like the big house and the yard.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
OK. I've always heard about the northeast being a high tax place but it sounds like this might not be totally true. DE and NH don't have sales taxes. NH doesn't have a state income tax. It sounds like the northeast isn't as bad on taxes as a lot of people make it out to be.
New Hampshire.

You can live free and die but you cannot escape property taxes, LOL.

Point taken and it does vary from state to state but overall I think the Northeast is the worst region for taxes. Just guessing but maybe Maine and rural parts of Pennsylvania have the least.

People in New Jersey are actually "skipping" over the beautiful rural counties of Northwestern New Jersey; Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon in order to cross the river into Pennsylvania. Guess what? The taxes and COL are generally lower on the PA side of the Delaware.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New Hampshire.

You can live free and die but you cannot escape property taxes, LOL.

Point taken and it does vary from state to state but overall I think the Northeast is the worst region for taxes. Just guessing but maybe Maine and rural parts of Pennsylvania have the least.

People in New Jersey are actually "skipping" over the beautiful rural counties of Northwestern New Jersey; Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon in order to cross the river into Pennsylvania. Guess what? The taxes and COL are generally lower on the PA side of the Delaware.
NH residents have far more direct democracy through the approval or denial of local spending issues that directly influence an individual town's equalized tax rate. Every town has a different property tax rate. Some towns have huge variations within the same county. If residents want smaller govt through less local spending they will get it. If residents want larger govt through increased spending on amenities like police, roads, schools, they will get what they wish...

Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,878,424 times
Quote:
For the most part, many of the highest tax burdens are among northeastern states, though there are some exceptions to this rule (Massachusetts, Delaware, New Hampshire). But even though New York, for example rates the highest burden, such data can be misleading. We should expect a higher tax burden in higher income states because the federal income tax is graduated. It's also not that easy to make apples to apples comparisons due to differing collection methodss (ie sales vs. income vs. property). One study I saw recently listed Massacchusetts as 29th highest, another that I just googled up says 24th. Still, the overall trends is probably similar from study to study. Here's the link to the one I used for this post:

Tax rates: Where does your state rank? - Apr. 14, 2009

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
For the most part, many of the highest tax burdens are among northeastern states, though there are some exceptions to this rule (Massachusetts, Delaware, New Hampshire). But even though New York, for example rates the highest burden, such data can be misleading. We should expect a higher tax burden in higher income states because the federal income tax is graduated. It's also not that easy to make apples to apples comparisons due to differing collection methodss (ie sales vs. income vs. property). One study I saw recently listed Massacchusetts as 29th highest, another that I just googled up says 24th. Still, the overall trends is probably similar from study to study. Here's the link to the one I used for this post:

Good post, especially agree here: "not that easy to make apples to apples comparisons due to differing collection methodss (ie sales vs. income vs. property)"

CNNMoney is usually the best media source on these type of things. That correlation is amazing though. 4 out of the 5 wealthiest states have one of the 5 highest tax burdens. It does make logical sense though, especially considering all those states are heavily Democratic.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post

New Hampshire's taxes really are low. They're 46 out of 50. TX is always touted as a low tax state and they're even lower than TX (43).

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM

102 posts, read 308,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The elephant in the room is that the states that do the best in all these rankings are also the whitest states.

Not tying to start an argument on race but some of you people seem to overlook the obvious when it suits your purposes.

How is it obvious when its not even true?

The top 10 whitest states are:

1. Maine
2. Vermont
3. West Virginia
4. New Hampshire
5. Iowa
6. North Dakota
7. Montana
8. Kentucky
9. Wyoming
10. Idaho

The Top 10 Wealthiest States Are:

1. Maryland
2. New Jersey
3. Connecticut
4. Alaska
5. Hawaii
6. Massachusetts
7. New Hampshire
8. Virginia
9. California
10. Washington

I'd provide a link, but since you like to pull facts out of your ass I'll leave you the task of looking it up yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.