Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,326,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I like the houses there. Doesn't look like a city you would find in the south. From the first half of the pictures I thought it was either Newark or Hartford.
There's only like one or two suburban sprawlsvile neighborhoods in the city. Mainly mid-rise apartment buildings, those row homes, or single family houses very very close together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 AM

542 posts, read 985,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Very nice city, it is nice to see a southern city that is not full of subdivision sprawl.
That's next door in Va Beach and Chesapeake. But that's because they are counties that became cities in the 60's. Hampton Roads is a unique place in how the cities are situated next to each other. You have a metro approaching 2 million but no real populous metro counties. None over 100,000 at least, it's all city. Norfolk is the gem at the core of the entire metro. Even in this recession the city seems to still be in a building boom downtown.

And not to start a N vs S argument, not by any means saying this area or VA in general is northern but this area has more in common geographically wise with Baltimore being on the Ches. Bay, and some other northern cities being a major port city, and not just for the Navy. It's interesting to note that there is not another metro of a milion on the coast until Jacksonville and even that is not right on the water. Also being very industrial and historic gives it something else in common with the NE. The place is like a hybrid city, more mid-atlantic on the southern side in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
What's that have to do with this?

Don't pay attention to him, he is one of about 4 notorious South haters full of bitterness

Norfolk looks great! I love that park on the Chesapeake (not sure what # picture it was). The downtown looks pretty clean as well. I would like to make another visit to the area soon and check out more than VA Beach like the last time I was up in the area

Old 09-27-2009, 04:00 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I like the houses there. Doesn't look like a city you would find in the south. From the first half of the pictures I thought it was either Newark or Hartford.

You should visit the South sometime. There are many vibrant city areas with nice architecture down here (Norfolk included). It might actually change your mind about the South (maybe not though)

Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 AM

96 posts, read 242,221 times
Rep points for those pics . Very beautiful looking place indeed. Although I have never been there, it certainly is on my places to someday go list.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Don't pay attention to him, he is one of about 4 notorious South haters full of bitterness

Norfolk looks great! I love that park on the Chesapeake (not sure what # picture it was). The downtown looks pretty clean as well. I would like to make another visit to the area soon and check out more than VA Beach like the last time I was up in the area
Yeah, the city finally got it's head out its you know what a few years ago and invested in street sweepers, ambassadors, trash cans, planters, etc. just like every other real city has.. That cleaned it up quite a bit.

And that park is actually on the elizabeth river and the cool thing about it is they have a trail you can walk and if you read the little signs you learn a lot about the history of our country. Like one says "the USS monitor crossed this point 300 years ago heading for the chesapeake bay where it was eventually in the infamous monitor-merrimak battle." IDK i just think that's cool.

Also since the port is like # 2 or 3 in the east coast you always see superships, cruise ships, aircraft carriers riding right past downtown.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
That's next door in Va Beach and Chesapeake. But that's because they are counties that became cities in the 60's. Hampton Roads is a unique place in how the cities are situated next to each other. You have a metro approaching 2 million but no real populous metro counties. None over 100,000 at least, it's all city. Norfolk is the gem at the core of the entire metro. Even in this recession the city seems to still be in a building boom downtown.

And not to start a N vs S argument, not by any means saying this area or VA in general is northern but this area has more in common geographically wise with Baltimore being on the Ches. Bay, and some other northern cities being a major port city, and not just for the Navy. It's interesting to note that there is not another metro of a milion on the coast until Jacksonville and even that is not right on the water. Also being very industrial and historic gives it something else in common with the NE. The place is like a hybrid city, more mid-atlantic on the southern side in my opinion.
Yeah Hampton Roads is pretty wild.. I can't get over the fact you can be driving down 64 and go through Chesapeake, Va Beach, back into Norfolk in like 3 minutes. Even though it's a collection of medium size cities I love it. Norfolk can feel like Baltimore at some times.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,844,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
You should visit the South sometime. There are many vibrant city areas with nice architecture down here (Norfolk included). It might actually change your mind about the South (maybe not though)

I've been all over the south.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,082,902 times
Nice photos.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM

From Norfolk's Ghent neighborhood

Very old picture of Norfolk. Missing three 15-26 story buildings.

Harbor Park, Home to the Norfolk Tides, AAA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/281661.jpg (broken link)
Wells Fargo complex under construction:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/Southwest-Rendering-Final-AW_200-1.jpg (broken link)

A couple pictures from Norfolk's metro.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/vbch.jpg (broken link)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/ttcaerial0507b-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/HR.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.