Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,059,086 times

Advertisements

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Bite club

Is there such a thing happening in the U.S. like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 1,312,905 times
I've never heard of anything like this. But if they were to start popping up in the US I'd probably keep my eye on Portland, OR. It sounds very Portlandesque.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,427,929 times
Ghetto Gourmet is a similar idea that's been going on for a few years:

How we got started... - The Ghetto Gourmet

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM

159 posts, read 623,584 times
There are a few places like this in Seattle:

Citizen Rain: Seattle's underground dining scene exposed (http://blogs.king5.com/citizenrain/2007/11/media_sheds_light_on_seattles.html - broken link)

Seattle Food - Vagabond and One Pot, Not-So Underground Restaurants, Keep Diners Talking - page 1

Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM

231 posts, read 637,781 times
I think a handful of cities have under street bars/clubs/restaurants. At least there are a few here in San Diego.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
This does happen in the U.S. too, but it's obviously not widely advertised because it would draw the attention of a platoon of disapproving bureaucrats. I suspect this happens more often in "culinary hotbed" cities where unknown chefs use it as a way to start making a name for themselves. So you'll see it more often in places like NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, etc., than places like Jacksonville, Green Bay, San Antonio, etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 AM

793 posts, read 1,445,643 times
There is a place in Boston named the Illegal Roti Shop in Jamaica Plain. It is located in a backyard of a triple decker home and serves probably the best Trinidadian food in the city. There is no website, phone number, twitter site, etc.. all word of mouth.

In NYC there are a few places that I know of as well, but the place in Boston really sticks out because of the fact that there is no information anywhere on the Web.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,548,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This does happen in the U.S. too, but it's obviously not widely advertised because it would draw the attention of a platoon of disapproving bureaucrats. I suspect this happens more often in "culinary hotbed" cities where unknown chefs use it as a way to start making a name for themselves. So you'll see it more often in places like NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, etc., than places like Jacksonville, Green Bay, San Antonio, etc.
I tend to agree but San Antonio (and barrios and ghettos the world over) have a complete underground economy that precedes (I'm sure) our OPs London counterpart.

Just a thought.

Neat article though.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,606,205 times
it is common in the rural south - you'll have a guy 'down the road', probably a farmhand or handyman type guy who smokes pigs in his spare time, and his wife makes potato salad, hash & rice, or brunswick stew, they grow their own corn, tomatoes, etc.. on certain nights of the week you can get BBQ plates to go. some of them even have little dirtfloor "resturants" in the backyard, or attached to the house. no advertising, just a word of mouth thing.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,059,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
it is common in the rural south - you'll have a guy 'down the road', probably a farmhand or handyman type guy who smokes pigs in his spare time, and his wife makes potato salad, hash & rice, or brunswick stew, they grow their own corn, tomatoes, etc.. on certain nights of the week you can get BBQ plates to go. some of them even have little dirtfloor "resturants" in the backyard, or attached to the house. no advertising, just a word of mouth thing.
That sounds pretty darn good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.