Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
That's precisely why we should start observing Boxing Day...give the retail/shipping/etc... workers a much-deserved break!
You know the retailers are never gonna go for that.....Boxing Day is the day after Christmas, who is gonna sell all the crap that didnt move during the holidays?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM

43,303 posts, read 44,001,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
How about,

We need more holidays for everyone. You had no problem listing a few christian holidays.

You know Yom Kippur was today. Why didn't we get off work for that? If September 19th fell on a weekday this year we should have gotten off work for that, too unless you are discriminating against Pastafarians. Flying Spaghetti Monster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May His Noodliness bless you,

Ramen.
Actually the NYC Public Schools have off for Yom Kipper as well as Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) when they fall on weekdays.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,982,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually the NYC Public Schools have off for Yom Kipper as well as Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) when they fall on weekdays.
Just because they are a large minority. Good luck finding a place in the south that recognizes Jewish events. They may exist....but I'm unaware of them.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
if anything we should be eliminating them... and companies should have better employee benefits instead of their slave wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Just because they are a large minority. Good luck finding a place in the south that recognizes Jewish events. They may exist....but I'm unaware of them.
miami

Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 PM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
Instead of more holidays, maybe the federal and state governments should enable us to keep more of our money. The real "Labor Day" is now the beginning of May, which is when you get to actually keep the money you earn. How about making it March 1st? I'd gladly trade in some of these superfluous days of leisure, in exchange for more money in my paycheck.

The problem with all those holidays is that they are enjoyed by nations where you are basically an endentured slave to the government when it comes to taxation. When a nation's GNP is stifled in such a manner, it results in a lower degree of productivity and a higher degree of state control. I propose the U.S. continue to go in the other direction.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Instead of more holidays, maybe the federal and state governments should enable us to keep more of our money. The real "Labor Day" is now the beginning of May, which is when you get to actually keep the money you earn. How about making it March 1st? I'd gladly trade in some of these superfluous days of leisure, in exchange for more money in my paycheck.

The problem with all those holidays is that they are enjoyed by nations where you are basically an endentured slave to the government when it comes to taxation. When a nation's GNP is stifled in such a manner, it results in a lower degree of productivity and a higher degree of state control. I propose the U.S. continue to go in the other direction.
In Europe, Labor Day is May 1... the U.S. should be the same!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You know the retailers are never gonna go for that.....Boxing Day is the day after Christmas, who is gonna sell all the crap that didnt move during the holidays?????
There are still 363 days of the year to sell the crap. Having 3 - 4 days retail days off from work wouldn't hurt. They could make Boxing day half if so desperate

Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
There are still 363 days of the year to sell the crap. Having 3 - 4 days retail days off from work wouldn't hurt. They could make Boxing day half if so desperate
Totally get where you are coming from! I have over 20 years in retail.....I know what they think, OMG 2 days of lost profits!
Just another excuse for greed.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,759,313 times

How is Groundhog Day NOT mentioned in here!?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
In Europe, Labor Day is May 1... the U.S. should be the same!
In case you haven't noticed, this is NOT Europe. Most of our ancestors risked life and limb to move away from Europe, why make it the same here now? Makes no sense, you like Europe so much, go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.