Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My point exactly...in any city, it depends on where you live. As for cities with rail transit, living in an area built around multiple stations is livable without a car.

YouTube - Urban Sprawl in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

DC also has one of the most extensive bus systems in the country, as well as the Circulator lines and soon-to-come streetcar lines (although the first one of those doesn't really lead anywhere; another topic for another time.)
I have lived in 6 states.

I believe the place with the best bus lines are actually in Philly- very extensive and covers the whole city plus inner ring suburbs.

Using buses is a hassle. Invariably, you are forced to transfer many times plus lots of bus lines do not run 24/7 (although many of Chicago's buses do). I had to come into the office at 4 am to help with Japan/Aussie business. No way was I taking a bus. But the train felt safer.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,933 times
Well any city is doable without a car, it just depends on how much convenience you are willing to sacrifice.

On the west coast, San Francisco is probably your best bet for a car-less lifestyle - not having a car there would barely affect your quality of life. Portland would be the west's 2nd bet but neither San Fran nor Portland have it as easy as the older northeast cities.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Well any city is doable without a car, it just depends on how much convenience you are willing to sacrifice.

On the west coast, San Francisco is probably your best bet for a car-less lifestyle - not having a car there would barely affect your quality of life. Portland would be the west's 2nd bet but neither San Fran nor Portland have it as easy as the older northeast cities.
Again...in any city, it depends on where you live. As for cities with rail transit, living in an area built around multiple stations is easily livable without a car

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What are trying to prove by posting this poorly put together, high school grade, video AGAIN?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
atl is not easily livable with a car, at least if you want to access the city... liveable? sure...in certain areas... you can't say chicago nyc sf then throw atlanta in to that "easy" grouping...they are on a MUCH different level. While you could *manage* without one, it would still behoove you to have one. Where as in Chicago or NYC it can be a downright ANNOYANCE to own a car... major difference.
I certainly could not honestly recommend atlanta to a person on city data asking where it would be easy to live without a car.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
I've lived in Wilmington (DE), Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Minneapolis (and even a small town in VA) without driving. DC, LA, and San Francisco were all very easy, assuming you pick the right neighborhood; Minneapolis isn't quite as good (not quite as many neighborhoods are truly easily livable for those without a car and the public transit isn't as good as LA, SF, or DC, so your choices are more limited; on the upside, the neighborhoods are very nice and far more affordable than those other cities), but still very doable.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:02 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,250,408 times
SF is so small that the public transportation covers almost everywhere very well. The suburban neighborhoods of Richmond and Sunset are not as doable, but most other areas are. Mission District has very good public transportation.

NYC, Boston, DC, and Chicago are obvious choices. Living as far into the city as possible is your best bet for extreme car independence. Downtown Portland and Seattle could work very easily as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SF is so small that the public transportation covers almost everywhere very well. The suburban neighborhoods of Richmond and Sunset are not as doable, but most other areas are. Mission District has very good public transportation.

NYC, Boston, DC, and Chicago are obvious choices. Living as far into the city as possible is your best bet for extreme car independence. Downtown Portland and Seattle could work very easily as well.
Especially since Portland has direct light rail service to the airport from downtown. If I ever moved back to Portland I probably would have a car only because I have family living in different parts of the city, but I wouldn't need one. Seattle, too, I believe either already has light rail service to SEA-TAC airport or at least plans to in the near future. And if you think about it, if you can get into and out of the city (airport) without needing a car, then pretty much all bases are covered.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
obviously NYC is the most walkable city on U.S. soil.
my grandmother was 65 before she got her license (for example). its actually not a good thing to own a car IMHO because of the hassle. the train service is obviously the best in the nation as well.

*edit*
i think we have the best bus system in the country as well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.