Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM

27 posts, read 128,107 times

Advertisements

I would like to know your opinions on which US cities are livable without a car. For the cities you cite, would it only be the downtown area, or other parts (presumably close to downtown) that you would include.

To me, there are several main criteria that should be met: 1) Basic necessities are within walking distance of residence (e.g. supermarket, drugstore, other stores that fulfill basic shoping needs, 2) there is an fairly active streetlife within walking distance with restaurants, some nightlife, some non-essential shopping, 3) there is some handy and fairly frequent mass transit nearby to take you to other parts of the area relatively painlessly.

I lived in DC for 11 years without a car with no problem. Obviously I could not get to all parts of metro DC, but in the center of DC there are multiple adjoining neighborhoods that meet the criteria I set out above.

Of places I have been, I would think Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco would definitely be included.

Other places I have been to that are maybe marginal are San Diego, Seattle (???).

I am thinking of relocating, and would prefer to be in a place that is livable without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I lived in Chicago without a car for almost 20 years- easy to get to everything from necessities to entertainment. The 'hoods are marvelous and a joy to walk in of itself. You need a really warm down coat though. You don't need a car in Chicago.

I now live in DC Metro-my DH works in DC and has friends who live in Foggy Bottom and Adams Morgan. They cannot live without a car-need it for doctors, to get to the nice grocery stores, etc.

*Also I lived in Philly for a year. Like DC you need a car to access good shopping/good doctors/etc.. but there is a lot of public trans that can get you most places without transferring 5 buses

**I am from San Diego. Must have a car in SD. The trolley is good for a pleasure ride to the Ball Park or Tijuana but not very accessible/reliable for day-to-day life. However, the downtown area, before the real estate drop, was really starting to fill in with housing, grocery stores, etc.. so you may want to look into that if you plan to live downtown-still need a car to get to the Beaches tho'

Last edited by leighland; 09-30-2009 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: added Philly: Added San Diego

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
New York City
Parts of New Jersey
Philadelphia
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington DC

Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Seattle has some very walkable areas. The biggest negative is lack of rail, but their bus/trolley system is quite good. Neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne Hill, West Seattle and Magnolia have about any amenity you want within walking distance.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 128,107 times
Thanks for the quick responses so far.

Just a comment regarding the post about DC. I live in Adams Morgan and there are a ton of doctors in Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, downtown...whole buildings full in fact...not to mention GW Hospital. For supermarkets, there is a new Harris teeter, a renovated Safeway in Adams Morgan, a small Safeway in Dupont Circle, a big Whole Foods nearby, and a Trader Joe's in Foggy Bottom. Perhaps the poeple you know can only walk a couple of blocks???

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

258 posts, read 1,034,635 times
Buffalo, easily.

I would say the same for Cleveland too

Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBINDC View Post
Thanks for the quick responses so far.

Just a comment regarding the post about DC. I live in Adams Morgan and there are a ton of doctors in Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, downtown...whole buildings full in fact...not to mention GW Hospital. For supermarkets, there is a new Harris teeter, a renovated Safeway in Adams Morgan, a small Safeway in Dupont Circle, a big Whole Foods nearby, and a Trader Joe's in Foggy Bottom. Perhaps the poeple you know can only walk a couple of blocks???

A couple are Pregnant and very picky --but most of the non-babied friends go into MD for for lots of things.(we are probably older than you)

However, if you find DC very walkable, you will find Chicago and NYC a dream. I find from my limited use of Metro, that you need to walk a considerable distance to get to stations. This is not the case in Chicago

Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
However, if you find DC very walkable, you will find Chicago and NYC a dream. I find from my limited use of Metro, that you need to walk a considerable distance to get to stations. This is not the case in Chicago
This is true re: the Metro...it covers a broad area of service, but the stations--even in the central part of the city--can be quite far apart.

That said, DC's compactness helps to make up for it. From my home in Logan Circle, I can (and have) walk to U Street, Dupont, Adams-Morgan, Columbia Heights, Georgetown, Chinatown/Penn Quarter, Foggy Bottom and the West End. I don't know that I'd say that Chicago and NY are more walkable than DC; but their transit system (at least NY's) is more extensive.

DC also has one of the most extensive bus systems in the country, as well as the Circulator lines and soon-to-come streetcar lines (although the first one of those doesn't really lead anywhere; another topic for another time.)

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I've lived in Cleveland for 3 years without a car before. But I also lived by two train stops that were within walking distance.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I live in such a neighborhood in St. Paul. Minneapolis has them, too, as do one or two first ring Twin Cities suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.