Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times

Advertisements

I visited Portland (Oregon) last year for a week and have lived in Maine for a couple years. You would be able to get around Portland (Maine) without a car much easier. The public transportation in Portland really isn't that good at all.

It's fun hanging out in old port in Portland (Maine), but it gets old after a while. But the good thing is that the people are very friendly, so at least you have some nice people to hang out with; even if you wind up going to the same places all the time, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 PM

145 posts, read 448,980 times
I am so glad this question has been asked! I too am sort of torn between these two. My husband and I have only ever lived in the deep south (northwest Georgia) so we are looking forward to something new and different at some point (maybe in another year or two). We don't have any children to consider (as far as school systems, etc.) and we are both pretty flexible when it comes to employment, but it's still difficult to chose between these two great beauties. The only thing I'm really afraid of in EITHER new place is the lack of sunlight; coming from the deep south, I have grown quite accustomed to the heat and bright rays. However, with that being said, here in the foothills we do get a good bit of rain - especially in the "winter" months. Thanks for asking this!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM

643 posts, read 1,478,844 times
thisbloominglife: Winters in Portland, Maine (live there now) are darker than Portland, Oregon (shorter daylight). I'm from Seattle originally and have spent a lot of time in Oregon, mostly coastal areas. Oregon gets more grey rainy-drizzle days than southern Maine, but the winter days are so short here that it feels darker to me than the couple of years in Anchorage, AK did. I've also lived in Charlotte - but not Georgia. If you're concerned about sunlight - I'd avoid either place but I would choose Oregon over Maine.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, I would note that coastal food in Maine revolves around the lobster, while coastal food in Oregon revolves around salmon.
And if I recall, plentiful, fabulous blueberry pie!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,134,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
thisbloominglife: Winters in Portland, Maine (live there now) are darker than Portland, Oregon (shorter daylight). I'm from Seattle originally and have spent a lot of time in Oregon, mostly coastal areas. Oregon gets more grey rainy-drizzle days than southern Maine, but the winter days are so short here that it feels darker to me than the couple of years in Anchorage, AK did. I've also lived in Charlotte - but not Georgia. If you're concerned about sunlight - I'd avoid either place but I would choose Oregon over Maine.
I'm really surprised to hear this opinion. Portland, Maine is further south than Portland, Oregon and thus should have more daylight in the winter.

For example, here's today's sunrise/sunset data for the two cities (from http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html )

January 15th, 2010

Portland, ME
Sunrise: 7:12am
Sunset: 4:30pm
Total daylight: 9 hours 18 minutes

Portland, OR
Sunrise: 7:47am
Sunset: 4:54pm
Total daylight: 9 hours 7 minutes

A virtually negligble difference, but Portland ME actually receives more daylight than Portland OR.

If you're concerned about lack of sunlight, I would choose Maine over Oregon in a heartbeat -- the Northeast does not experience the same kind of prolonged periods of cloud cover that the PNW does.

Another source: World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

Number of Sunny Days per Year (does not include partly sunny or partly cloudy days)

Portland, ME: 101
Portland, OR: 68

I would even wager that the number of sunny days is less on the Oregon coast itself than in Portland, OR.

The Oregon coast is a beautiful place, but it's not the place to go if you love sunshine.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,264,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Tend to agree with backdrifter here. The Oregon Coast is breathtaking, perhaps equal or better than CA. Yes, the towns are small, and many areas are depressed, yet many wealthy residents have built substantial homes along this stretch. My humble guess is that when the economy turns around, this area will explode. (Insider tip to buy now???, and no I have no connection to the real estate industry!)

Without any industry, I don't see that happening myself.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,755,427 times
Both states are extremely unique in terms of topography.
Idk

Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 PM

64 posts, read 182,960 times
Maine Coast - think Stephen King

Oregon Coast - think "The Ring"

Old 01-16-2010, 04:55 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,799,423 times
I'm guessing the problem with Portland ME daylight is one of time zone rather than latitude. Maine coast is the last bit of territory in the Eastern zone, which also includes places as far west as Indianapolis. Sunset in Portland would be a lot later if it was over the line into Atlantic time. But the time zone location is great for early risers!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,623,678 times
Actually, both Maine and Oregon would be in my top five Northern states to live.

I would probably slightly prefer Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.