Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
El correcto!

I-84 was once I-80N, and the current I-80 (SF Bay to Salt Lake was I-80S). I'm sure there were others around the country, but interesting the only one left is 35E & W.
I-76 from Sidney, NE to Denver, CO used to be designated 80S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM

40 posts, read 63,560 times
Wow that was a quick one on the ferries. I knew about the US 9 route but was unaware of US10. I knew there was a seasonal ferry that left Muskegon, for Milwaukee during the warmer months. That drive around Lake Michigan sucks if you have to go from Muskegon to Milwaukee. Did it several times when I was handling a project for a Milwaukee based department store. Hmmmm...now for the next question. Will have to sleep on it.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
El correcto!

I-84 was once I-80N, and the current I-80 (SF Bay to Salt Lake was I-80S). I'm sure there were others around the country, but interesting the only one left is 35E & W.
The 35 suffixes were left because neither city (Dallas or Fort Worth, nor Minneapolis or St Paul wanted to give into a 3 digit routing. USDOT gave in left them. Amazingly enough, businesses want a 2 digit interstate route, as well as cities versus a 3 digit interstate. Apparently, Americans are more inclined to follow a 2 digit route, versus a 3 digit route when passing through a city. If I can bypass a downtown area on a 3 digit or some other method, I will take it everytime. Well unless its a new city and I haven't seen the skyline.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM

9,332 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmouse View Post
The longest would have to be US 287 at 1791 miles.
Close, but this answer is incorrect. There are two that are longer.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Without looking at the road atlas, I'm guessing:
US 99 crosses US 98 in CA
US 1 crosses US 2 in ME
US 2 crosses US 3 in NH
US 6 crosses US 7 in NY
US 19 crosses US 20 in NY
US 30 crosses US 31 in OH
US 40 crosses US 41 in IL
US 50 crosses US 51 in IL
US 51 crosses US 52 in WI
US 60 crosses US 61 in KY
US 61 crosses US 62 in MO
US 62 crosses US 63 in MO
US 65 (used to) cross US 66 in MO
US 69 crosses US 70 in AR
US 80 crosses US 81 in TX
US 89 crosses US 90 in AZ.

Because the numbering of the US highway system runs north to south and east to west, the crossings run diagonal across the country from ME to CA.

Here's a little trivia that caught my eye long ago: US 2 runs east/west from ME to WA, but it "disappears" in northern NY at the international border, only to reappear hundreds of miles west at Sault Ste. Marie, MI. From there it runs unbroken to the Pacific coast.
Ben: This solves the US2 mystery: Read on:

A large portion of the western segment of U.S. 2, and a shorter piece of the eastern segment, follows the old Theodore Roosevelt International Highway. This auto trail, named in honor of recently-deceased ex-president and naturalist Theodore Roosevelt, was organized in February 1919 to connect Portland, Maine with Portland, Oregon.[7] The route taken by this highway left Portland, Maine to the northwest, crossing New England via Littleton and Montpelier to Burlington. It crossed Lake Champlain on the Burlington-Port Kent Ferry and headed west across upstate New York, through Watertown and Rochester to Buffalo. After crossing southern Ontario, the highway re-entered the U.S. in Detroit, running northwest and north via Saginaw and Alpena to the Upper Peninsula, where it turned west along the northern tier of the country. This portion took the route past Duluth, Minot, Havre, and Glacier National Park to Spokane. In order to reach Portland, Oregon, the highway turned south in Washington via Walla Walla to Pendleton, where it headed west again via the Columbia River Highway to Portland. The last piece of the highway to be completed was over Marias Pass through Glacier National Park; cars were carried through the park on the Great Northern Railway until 1930.[8][9][10]
The first inter-state numbering for the Roosevelt Highway was in New England, where the New England road marking system was established in 1922. Route 18 followed the auto trail from Portland northwest to Montpelier, where it continued to Burlington via Route 14. Many of the states along the route also assigned numbers to the highway; for instance, New York labeled their portion Route 3 in 1924.[9][11] The Joint Board on Interstate Highways distributed its preliminary plan in 1925, in which a long section of the highway was labeled U.S. 2, from St. Ignace, Michigan west to Bonners Ferry, Idaho. East of St. Ignace, instead of crossing to the Lower Peninsula like the Roosevelt Highway, the proposed Route 2 traveled north to the international border at Sault Ste. Marie. It reappeared at Rouses Point, New York, following Route 30 and then rejoining the auto trail between Burlington and Montpelier. U.S. 2 and the Roosevelt Highway both connected Montpelier to St. Johnsbury, but the latter took a direct path along Route 18, while the former was assigned to Route 25 to Wells River, where it overlapped proposed U.S. 5 north to St. Johnsbury. There, where the Roosevelt Highway turned southeast to Portland, Route 2 continued east along Route 15 to Bangor and Route 1 to Calais, then heading north on Route 24 to end in Houlton.[12]
By the time the U.S. Highway system was finalized in late 1926, one relatively minor change had been made to U.S. 2; it was swapped with U.S. 1 between Bangor and Houlton, Maine, placing U.S. 2 along the entire portion of Route 15 east of St. Johnsbury. Several other major parts of the auto trail received numbers, most notably U.S. 30 from Portland, Oregon east to Pendleton, U.S. Route 195 in eastern Washington, and U.S. 23 in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.[13][14] In the mid-1930s, much of New York's portion of the road became U.S. Route 104, and the part southeast of Littleton, New Hampshire to Portland, Maine became U.S. Route 302,[citation needed] but by far the longest piece was that followed by U.S. 2 between St. Ignace and Bonners Ferry. In 1946, U.S. 2 was extended west of its original western terminus in Bonners Ferry in Idaho to Everett in Washington via Spokane along what was then Alternate U.S. Route 10.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Close, but this answer is incorrect. There are two that are longer.
scratchin head..........hmmmm....have to pull the Rand out and check. And re-read the original question.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What is the longest continuous 3 digit US route? For instance, US 301, I-295, etc, would be eligible.
Ok my guess is US 281, from near McAllen, Tx to Canadian border. Total mileage is 1872.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Alright, its been a hell of a week, so this question will be an easy one for most. Name the city that is served by only one primary interstate (10, 20 etc) but has used possible 3 digit interstate (110,210 etc) based on the primary interstate number.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,337,966 times
I believe the only US Interstate that has both mile and km markers is the one that goes from Tuscon south to Nogales Arizona. Its I-19, probably one of the shortest intertates also

Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmouse View Post
Alright, its been a hell of a week, so this question will be an easy one for most. Name the city that is served by only one primary interstate (10, 20 etc) but has used possible 3 digit interstate (110,210 etc) based on the primary interstate number.
I have a suspicion there may be more than one, but Tacoma, WA is served by only I-5, but has one relatively short spur, I-705. So I think I correctly answered your question, albeit again I can't believe there are not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.