Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM

40 posts, read 63,560 times

Advertisements

Hey folks: I am applying for an internship with the US DOT and had to write an essay regarding why I wanted to apply. So after I wrote it, I already knew I had a TON of what some would consider "more useless information than any one person should ever have" embedded in their memories. Now its time for me to bone up even more on road infrastructure and a few other things before the interview in December. (Yeah yeah I know, who the hell cares, get to the point)

I want this thread to be strictly about ROAD TRIVIA. Lets not micro-manage the thread just to make your point. If you have an axe to grind, start another thread...k? Again, TRIVIA ONLY, on all paved roads of at least 2 lanes (one in each direction) and I am going to get the ball rolling. After posting my question, I will give it about 3 days before I post the answer. If you choose to participate in the thread for posting a question, please follow this same format (post it, wait 3 days and then post the answer)

Our first topic is the US Highway system:

Our Question, and its a good one, in three parts.

First: Give the most number of sequential US highway crossings (IE, Highway 1, 2, 3 etc)

Second: In what state does this occur, and if you wanna get creative, name the cities where the crossing or sharing of pavement occurs.

Three: Name those highways!!!

Good luck folks, and remember, this is trivia ONLY. I don't want the core point of the thread to break down to axe grinding and complaining. Again, if you want to do that, start another thread. This is helping me prepare for a job with the US DOT, and helping my fellow road geeks with their hobby.

"The Mouse of the South"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Come on no takers. Alright, I will give you a clue. These highways are in the south, and primarily in one state. Now surely this will prompt someone to get out the "Rand McNally"

Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Sound like it could be fun and I'd be willing to play, but I'm not sure what you mean by "sequential highway crossing". Are you asking what state has the most places where two US highways that are sequentially numbered cross one another? e.g., US 1 crosses US 2, or US 43 crosses US 44, etc?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Right...you are on target, but I am looking more for the sequential (US 1, US 2 etc.) crossings (shared route counts as well, example US 1 and US 2 merge and separate later on) than what state has the most. This state(s) could have the fewest of those types of crossings. There could be more than the series I have found, but I have yet to find them. Teach me something too!!! Since I am new to this type of blogging, when I post the answer on Tuesday night, someone might have a better way I could have posted the question.

So.....break out the Rand and lets go!!!

Mouse of the South

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Where was the last traffic signal on an Interstate Highway eliminated, and what year did it happen?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM

482 posts, read 1,325,453 times
What is the largest city with no interstate running inside the city limits?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:18 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,714,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Where was the last traffic signal on an Interstate Highway eliminated, and what year did it happen?
Hasn't happened yet! Breezewood, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Technically, two other signals still exist, on I-495, in New Jersey, which leads into the Holland Tunnel. Both these traffic aterials (Breezewood and Pulaski Skyway) pre-date the interstate highway system.

I'll amend the question: where was the last traffic signal on a coast-to-coast interstate highway system located, and when was it removed?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:51 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmouse View Post
Right...you are on target, but I am looking more for the sequential (US 1, US 2 etc.) crossings (shared route counts as well, example US 1 and US 2 merge and separate later on) than what state has the most. This state(s) could have the fewest of those types of crossings. There could be more than the series I have found, but I have yet to find them. Teach me something too!!! Since I am new to this type of blogging, when I post the answer on Tuesday night, someone might have a better way I could have posted the question.

So.....break out the Rand and lets go!!!

Mouse of the South
Without looking at the road atlas, I'm guessing:
US 99 crosses US 98 in CA
US 1 crosses US 2 in ME
US 2 crosses US 3 in NH
US 6 crosses US 7 in NY
US 19 crosses US 20 in NY
US 30 crosses US 31 in OH
US 40 crosses US 41 in IL
US 50 crosses US 51 in IL
US 51 crosses US 52 in WI
US 60 crosses US 61 in KY
US 61 crosses US 62 in MO
US 62 crosses US 63 in MO
US 65 (used to) cross US 66 in MO
US 69 crosses US 70 in AR
US 80 crosses US 81 in TX
US 89 crosses US 90 in AZ.

Because the numbering of the US highway system runs north to south and east to west, the crossings run diagonal across the country from ME to CA.

Here's a little trivia that caught my eye long ago: US 2 runs east/west from ME to WA, but it "disappears" in northern NY at the international border, only to reappear hundreds of miles west at Sault Ste. Marie, MI. From there it runs unbroken to the Pacific coast.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,547,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
What is the largest city with no interstate running inside the city limits?
previous thread. i think answer is fresno?

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...g-through.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.