Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 AM
mcv mcv started this thread

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some relocation ideas for our family. We are in Southern California but looking to move. We run our own business and have backgrounds in education too so we should be okay for employment.

We have considered, and visited, places such as the CDA area of ID, Southern Oregon (Grants Pass etc), Northern Washington (north of Spokane) and parts of Arizona. Pros and Cons are all over the place for each of those areas.

We are fairly conservative. We like the outdoors - although could do without bugs. LOL. We do prefer to be about an hour, more or less, from major shopping and a semi-large airport. Our kids are from 8 to 15 years of age so close to some colleges and universities would be nice. An area with a lot of families would be nice too.

We have always lived where it's warm (Southern Cal and Marianas Islands) so we worry about the snow. We are not opposed to snow but concerned about whether we could get used to it and everything that comes along with it. (Our biggest 'con' regarding ID and WA) I have never been where there are four actual seasons so I guess sometimes I think I'd love that. But sometimes I wonder if I can actually "handle" it.

Grants Pass seems nice but further from shopping and an airport. We know it can snow here too but it seems that it doesn't snow much compared to NID and Northern WA. The rain and the "gloom" everyone talks about makes us a little leery.

My husband is not to keen on any areas in AZ I've shown him. (I liked Flagstaff.) He prefers to see water (ocean, river or lake) and in AZ he didn't see too much of that.

As you can see, we are still in our "throwing it all out there" stage. We haven't even looked at hospital reputations in these areas or crime rates etc. But if anyone can give us some ideas on things we should know and consider (good and bad) about those areas, we'd really appreciate it. Or if another city pops up in your head to suggest to us... we'd appreciate that too.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,486,774 times
Hmmm, tricky. I think Utah has some lakes, is very conservative, and probably has some warm spots. That might be too far though, not sure. (Or too Mormon, but I think there are places in Utah that are a bit less Mormon than their average)

Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
Just looking for some relocation ideas for our family. We are in Southern California but looking to move. We run our own business and have backgrounds in education too so we should be okay for employment.

We have considered, and visited, places such as the CDA area of ID, Southern Oregon (Grants Pass etc), Northern Washington (north of Spokane) and parts of Arizona. Pros and Cons are all over the place for each of those areas.

We are fairly conservative. We like the outdoors - although could do without bugs. LOL. We do prefer to be about an hour, more or less, from major shopping and a semi-large airport. Our kids are from 8 to 15 years of age so close to some colleges and universities would be nice. An area with a lot of families would be nice too.

We have always lived where it's warm (Southern Cal and Marianas Islands) so we worry about the snow. We are not opposed to snow but concerned about whether we could get used to it and everything that comes along with it. (Our biggest 'con' regarding ID and WA) I have never been where there are four actual seasons so I guess sometimes I think I'd love that. But sometimes I wonder if I can actually "handle" it.

Grants Pass seems nice but further from shopping and an airport. We know it can snow here too but it seems that it doesn't snow much compared to NID and Northern WA. The rain and the "gloom" everyone talks about makes us a little leery.

My husband is not to keen on any areas in AZ I've shown him. (I liked Flagstaff.) He prefers to see water (ocean, river or lake) and in AZ he didn't see too much of that.

As you can see, we are still in our "throwing it all out there" stage. We haven't even looked at hospital reputations in these areas or crime rates etc. But if anyone can give us some ideas on things we should know and consider (good and bad) about those areas, we'd really appreciate it. Or if another city pops up in your head to suggest to us... we'd appreciate that too.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Come to New Jersey. It has everything.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,354,666 times
Consider southern New Mexico, Las Cruces NM. Excellent weather and affordable.
Great small town, good place to raise a family and meets lots of your criteria except the water part.
Well, there's the Elephant Butte Lake but its not the same as the ocean.
Here's the climate in nearby El Paso:

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Texas/El%20Paso/

more on Las Cruces here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-cruces/

http://www.lascrucescvb.org/

Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,372,688 times
Idaho would work for you. Look into Boise and the Coeur d'Alene areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.