Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM

40 posts, read 63,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do think there is a bit more adherence to tradition in the South. We still wear black tie at weddings after six, boys wear ties to their college Homecoming game, girls are presented to society at 18 and most important...cocktail hour is still observed before dinner.
Loving Decatur: You reminded me of something I take for granted:

5:00, come hell or high water, it doesn't matter. The world stops, and the martini pitcher comes out. I can remember some road trips to where my folks were about to freak out because it was getting close and we still had a few miles to go before we got to the next town. Cocktails at 5:00, dinner (or supper as it was known at my time, lunch is actually called "dinner" by the older generation) is no later than 6:30. Sundays were about church, a HUGE MEAL, feed the animals ONLY nothing else, and then FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were so sleepy from dinner, you didn't care about supper, you picked on leftovers from dinner. This was the meal that your grandmothers cooked together, and they started Saturday night. Your mom was relegated to setting the table and making coffee, if she was allowed to do that much. And if you were not home all week for supper that was fine, but you dang well better be there after church. Granny would skin you alive if you missed Sunday dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default The same reason people eat pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why the hell would we use a fork to eat chicken fingers and fries? weird. I wouldn't say anyone is less-mannered just because they use their hands to eat some foods.
with a knife and fork. Never seen that?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
Amy Vanderbilt, the bane of my existence, says that you don't use your fingers for fried chicken.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol I've never met anyone in the north who uses their hands with them. Most I know eat fries with a fork. I think those are more proper.
This would be more a peculiarity of the North then. In the Midwest, in my experience, people also eat french fries with their hands. For that matter in most nationwide TV commercials I've seen they eat them with their hands not forks. (If you mean fried chicken it's the same) Some commercials from Japan seem to indicate they do as well, if we mean french fries.

What part of the North are you from?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This would be more a peculiarity of the North then. In the Midwest, in my experience, people also eat french fries with their hands. For that matter in most nationwide TV commercials I've seen they eat them with their hands not forks. (If you mean fried chicken it's the same) Some commercials from Japan seem to indicate they do as well, if we mean french fries.

What part of the North are you from?
Long Island and NYC.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
I have always used a knife and fork to eat fried chicken since I was a child, including at home. For one thing it is EASIER to cut and break apart the meat, and take the skin off (I never eat it), with utensils, than your teeth. Then there is the fact that you get grease all over your face and fingers and will need a whole bunch of napkins to clean up with. Just plain MESSY, especially when you are wearing makeup and all dressed up. Yuck.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
You may use a knife and fork, but it is well-known as acceptable to use your fingers when eating fried chicken.

From Table Manners, How You Can Improve Your Image At The Table:

Foods Which Can Be Eaten With Your Fingers
  • Artichokes (not covered in sauce)
  • Asparagus (not covered in sauce)
  • Bacon
  • Bread
  • Cookies
  • French Fries and chips
  • Fried Chicken (be sure to have a wet napkin handy)
  • Fresh Small Fruit (melons not included)
  • Hors d'Oeuvres (small items served at parties are okay to pick up by hand, preferably from your own plate and not from the public dish)
  • Potato Chips (crisps) and other Snack Chips
  • Ribs (no way around this one, but you must have wet napkins handy)
  • Sandwiches (this includes hamburgers, but not sloppy joes or other over-stuffed, or sloppy, or open faced sandwhiches)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Of course there are some foods you have to eat with your hands that are obvious; like chips, sandwiches, cookies, etc. But other things, I think it's bad table manners. Especially to eat chicken fingers with your hands.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times
Default Very subtle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The Southern girls that I knew presented themselves to society long before 18.
..and yet, very effective. I think that you've upset Scarlett and the rest of the cotillion crowd.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..and yet, very effective. I think that you've upset Scarlett and the rest of the cotillion crowd.
Somebody get Aunt Pitty's smelling salts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.