Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 AM

517 posts, read 1,313,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtahere! View Post
Not to sound like a complete geographical idiot (even though it's a good classification for me!)... what areas would be considered "low land California"?
He is mostly talking about the costal cities in California and parts of the Central Valley, the high lands of California would be up near the mountains like Lake Tahoe for example where it snows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,337,966 times
Southern New Mexico has the best weather in the country IMO.
Las Cruces NM comes close to what you're looking for. NMSU is located there. This small city has about 100K people and is a nice hometown. COL is good and lakes located not too far.

Here's the climate for nearby El Paso:
Climate in El Paso, Texas

Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,461 times
portland is nice but it rains a lot! you only see sun around 1/3 of the year. in the summer it is nice, but only for about 1.5 to 2 months. spring is okay, still some rain but the temp usually doesn't go above 71 degrees and its a damp 71. if you are prone to colds this may not be the place for you. i love portland's culture, people, art and lifestyle but the weather kind of tipped the scale for me - i just could not stand it after a year.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Raleigh. Your description of "wants" about nails the city on its head.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 PM

110 posts, read 112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Look into the suburbs of Richmond, VA.

Great schools, pretty friendly area. Low cost of living. All 4 season but the winters are really mild (good for you, bad for me...I like snow ). I've always thought the humidity was a bit uncomfortable. Not really horrible..but uncomfortable (I come from an area where humidity is pretty much a nonissue) but it may be good for you.

You would be commuting distance (20 minutes or less) to VCU (largest school in VA) which has a pretty good (and well ranked) medical school and employment through the VCU HealthSystems.

Has a farmers market but I honestly can't say how active it is. But there are plenty of activities pretty much year round during the week and weekends (festivals, shows, concerts, parades, marathons etc).

You would be near the James River (not sure if thats what you're looking for...its more 'rafting' than rowboating..lol. There is also Boat Lake and Swan Lake, Shields Lake and Maymont Park Pond (all in Byrd Park). There's also 2 small (6 acre each) lakes in Bryan Park. Then you have Swift Creek Resevoir, Lake Chesdin...well..I can't name them all, just suffice it to say there are lakes..lol. You're also a couple of hours from Virginia Beach and the Hampton Roads area, as well as DC. Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens theme parks are all day-trips away should that ever interest you.
Winters are not really that mild in Richmond unless you are used to a very cold climate. While snowfall is not heavy, we average more than ten inches of snow a year which is not light. The climate of Richmond is comparable to the climate in DC which is just up the road. However, Richmond does provide all of the other things mentioned and currently has a good economy.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:50 AM

531 posts, read 635,821 times
Austin, TX would check most of your boxes

Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM

461 posts, read 538,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
"While snowfall is not heavy, we average more than ten inches of snow a year which is not light."
I nearly sprayed my coffee all over my office when I read this. 3 inches of snow 3 times per year isn't light? The populations of CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, ND, SD, MN etc beg to differ.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:07 PM

110 posts, read 112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I nearly sprayed my coffee all over my office when I read this. 3 inches of snow 3 times per year isn't light? The populations of CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, ND, SD, MN etc beg to differ.
Those from Texas, California, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, most of North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico and the rest of the sunbelt would likely not beg to differ.

The states you mentioned have heavy snow annually and are among the coldest in the country. I specifically said that snowfall is not heavy in Richmond.

Last edited by Magicstar1; 02-07-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 04:24 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,420,268 times
My suggestions would be Raleigh/Durham NC, Atlanta GA, Tampa/St. Petersburg FL, and Orlando FL. These places are affordable and meet what you're looking for. I have several family members in Raleigh/Durham, friends in Atlanta and Tampa, and we lived in Orlando for a year. Have no problem recommending any of them. I would include Charlotte NC, but, unfortunately, there's not a medical school in the metro. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.