Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,548 times

Advertisements

Is it the law to have 2 license plates? Lived in NM and Alabama and both States only required rear plates. Now live in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,853,256 times
^No. Pennsylvania does not require front license plates and I am very happy about that-it's ugly and just a way for the state to make more money from traffic violations.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,101,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 52 View Post
Im from Tenn. Were front plates are not required. My question is when you get your tags or get them renewed for states with both. Do you pay for one tag or do You pay for 2 tags. Here in Tenn. Its $24 a year for tags. Unless you buy specialized tags with your name or something different than regular issued tags & I think they are $34 or something like that.
No, you don't pay extra for a second plate. The actual license plate isn't what costs a lot of money It has nothing to do with "beurocracy" or making money It's about common sense. The point of license plates is to identify the car. Cars come, and cars go. Therefore, most states and every country outside the U.S. (from what I can tell) requires front plates.

The price you pay is all about the taxes. I just renewed my plates on a 6 year old vehicle and it was about $150 here in Colorado. It goes down as the car gets older (tax is on the value of the car). Every state is different in price. Some are a cheap flat fee, but I'm sure they get you somewhere else to make up for it.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
Honestly, I thought this post should be titled "Why do SOME states only require ONE license plate?" and that is actually what I googled to find this post.

I think that all cars should have both a front and a rear license plate for *safety* and *accountability* issues. If someone is tailgating you or following you, you or your passenger would want to be able to look and see their tag to report them. If you were a pedestrian and someone tried to run you over, you would want to be able to see their tag. Also in surveillance videos, front tags can help identify drivers that are involved in criminal activities.

Previous posters suggested that issuing two license plates was a money scheme via selling more plates or being able to issue more traffic camera tickets, but that isn't really true. With or without a front plate, the red light cameras can ticket you and states raise the price on the registration stickers to increase tax revenues (something that you have to buy much more frequently than a plate).

So, the real question is: Why don't ALL states require TWO license plates?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,863,365 times
FWIW, I believe in CO you are exempt from displaying a front license plate if the vehicle does not provide a manufacturer-installed bracket or mount. The Austin-Martin mentioned earlier in the post, as well as newer Corvettes would be exempt.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,565,754 times
Not only are the front plates not required in Michigan, but we can put whatever we want on the front of the vehicle. I have a Michigan license plate in the back and a New Hampshire licence plate on the front. You'll also see a lot of Michigan/Texas, Michigan/California, and Michigan/Wyoming combos. Any state that doesn't allow this is not somewhere I would want to live.

Oh, so you hate creativity and individual expression, eh? Well I do believe I won't be living in your fascist double-license plate state.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,863,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Not only are the front plates not required in Michigan, but we can put whatever we want on the front of the vehicle. I have a Michigan license plate in the back and a New Hampshire licence plate on the front. You'll also see a lot of Michigan/Texas, Michigan/California, and Michigan/Wyoming combos. Any state that doesn't allow this is not somewhere I would want to live.

Oh, so you hate creativity and individual expression, eh? Well I do believe I won't be living in your fascist double-license plate state.
Are you really Mark Levin?!?!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Are you really Mark Levin?!?!
If my tongue had been any more firmly in my cheek, I would need cheek surgery. Or tongue surgery.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,604,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Best case I've heard yet for doing away with frontal license plates.

If you take a look at the lists of states which do/do not require them, the states which don't are generally more free, and the states that do (NY! NJ! CA!) are becoming police states in general.
What about the "papers plase" police-state of Arizona? With few exceptions, northern and western states require front plates, southern states do not. Most states have retained the same policy for at least the past 50 years. Nobody ever accused the southern states of civil liberties 50 years ago, when front plate usage was adopted. When back-only Arkansas plates said "Land of Opportunity" but the governor ordered the state police to close all the public schools rather than expose all kids to opportunity.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/

Every country in the world except the USA requires a plate on the front as well as on the back.

As for saving money, license plates is one of the few things that have been privatized in most countries in the world, but not in the Americas. In most countries, the government issues a registration number,and it is the responsibility of the motorist to buy a corresponding plate from a private vendor.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-12-2015 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
With few exceptions, northern and western states require front plates, southern states do not. Most states have retained the same policy for at least the past 50 years. Nobody ever accused the southern states of civil liberties 50 years ago, when front plate usage was adopted..

As for saving money, license plates is one of the few things that have been privatized in most countries in the world, except the North America. In most countries, the government issues a registration number,and it is the responsibility of the motorist to buy a corresponding plate from a private vendor. Every country in the world except the USA requires a plate on the front as well as on the back.
Having a front license plate might literally be the least important thing that has ever been discussed on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.