Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,226,424 times

Advertisements

This is an issue I believe that has been discussed ad nauseum in the Nebraska State Legislature. NE has gone with two plates forever, and a few years ago, made some concessions (certain vehicles can have just one plate) but right now, the majority of vehicles still need both. It's just a matter of time, I believe, when Nebraska only issues the rear plates.

That said, if a car from a state that issues only a rear plate gets caught on camera in a state that has both plates, that state would essentially be screwed from getting any money from the offender unless there was an officer on duty that caught them in the act...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Considering the 19 or whatever it is states that don't require front plates are not only the minorities in the country but also in the world, I think the question should really be "why do some states allow you to NOT have a front license plate?" Not sure why so many in this thread are condemning having front plates or talking about it like it's weird when the more than half the states require them and most countries do as well...

It makes identifying a car easier. I can't see why you wouldn't want to have front license plates, so a police officer or civilian can more easily identify a car that's perhaps been involced in a crime of some sort. There are many times I see cars in NJ with no front plate (usually a Pennsylvanian) and out of curiosity, to see the state, try to look in my rear view mirror to see after they've passed me, and I actually can't see the state or number because they are too far away or someone else is blocking my view. So yeah I think a front plate is important.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM

16,282 posts, read 10,305,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Having a front license plate might literally be the least important thing that has ever been discussed on the internet.
So, is today your FIRST or SECOND day on the Internet?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM

707 posts, read 740,413 times
Not only do Texans have the front plate but these weird tags on the windows too, three of them (Registration, Inspection, and where applicable, Tex-Tags.) The only time you see tags or a front plate on a New Mexico vehicle is in Better Call Saul.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
Yes, the are surely needed for identifying purposes. NV, CA, UT have them but AZ don't think has them.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,166 times
The only reason states require front license plates is probably due to toll cameras and the red light cameras. The public safety excuse is just to butter you up. An average person will not be able to capture a license number by looking in their rearview window. It's hard enough looking forward through a much a bigger view (your front windshield) than diverting your attention off the road and staring at that tiny rearview window.

So no, I don't want to make it easier for them to fine.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Yes, the are surely needed for identifying purposes. NV, CA, UT have them but AZ don't think has them.
Yes they're needed for cameras to identify you and send you a ticket. I can do without such identification.

Out of the states I lived, California, Minnesota and Texas required them.

Florida (where I'm now), Michigan, Indiana, and Georgia did not require them. Hats off to those states.

I can say most of the south, and the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico) don't require them.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,967,446 times
I don't have a front plate on my Corvette. I'd have to drill holes on my front end.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,060,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsa View Post
Honestly, I thought this post should be titled "Why do SOME states only require ONE license plate?" and that is actually what I googled to find this post.

I think that all cars should have both a front and a rear license plate for *safety* and *accountability* issues. If someone is tailgating you or following you, you or your passenger would want to be able to look and see their tag to report them. If you were a pedestrian and someone tried to run you over, you would want to be able to see their tag. Also in surveillance videos, front tags can help identify drivers that are involved in criminal activities.

Previous posters suggested that issuing two license plates was a money scheme via selling more plates or being able to issue more traffic camera tickets, but that isn't really true. With or without a front plate, the red light cameras can ticket you and states raise the price on the registration stickers to increase tax revenues (something that you have to buy much more frequently than a plate).

So, the real question is: Why don't ALL states require TWO license plates?
I agree with this post, and the bold part is especially true. I moved from a one plate state to a two plate state and the one plate state's plate fees were MUCH higher.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 PM

707 posts, read 740,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The only reason states require front license plates is probably due to toll cameras and the red light cameras. The public safety excuse is just to butter you up. An average person will not be able to capture a license number by looking in their rearview window. It's hard enough looking forward through a much a bigger view (your front windshield) than diverting your attention off the road and staring at that tiny rearview window.

So no, I don't want to make it easier for them to fine.
Red light cameras in New Mexico fine you just the same without any front plates. Albuquerque eventually did away with their red light cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.