Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
"Bob's your uncle"

When I first heard this, I actually thought the guy was telling me that Bob was my uncle, than I heard it again.

I did some research and found out it means "and there you have it". Often times used after giving simple directions or instructions. It's mainly used by Brits.

Example: "To make a ham sandwich, simply put a piece of ham between two slices of buttered bread, and Bob's your uncle."
LOL - that's funny. My ex-mother-in-law (from Chicagoland area) used to say "And I ain't whistlin' Dixie!" when she meant "Seriously" or "For Reals" at the end of a sentence. hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As far as the Midwest, in all my travels I have never heard anyone outside Milwaukee-Chicago say "lookit" as used in a way to say understand or you know what I am saying.
I'm confused, could you give me an example?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm not sure why; when a waitress asks me if I want anything else, I usually respond, "No thanks, I'm all set"...seems like a rather ordinary thing to say..
It's not..it's quite regional. Honestly, never heard those combination of words until I moved here. I'd venture to say that most people would just say "No thank you/thanks." If you think about it, "all set" is superfluous in that context. I might add "I'm good."

When I hear "all set", I'm just think, "What is this...a race?" Then I'm like wait, I'm in Boston...hahaha.

I have two friends from Ethiopia who moved here just a few months ago and this is the only place they have lived...and they have picked it up from around here too.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-14-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
It's not..it's quite regional. Honestly, never heard those combination of words until I moved here. I'd venture to say that most people would just say "No thank you/thanks." If you think about it, "all set" is superfluous in that context.

When I hear it, I'm just think, "What is this...a race?" Then I'm like wait, I'm in Boston...hahaha.
Out of curiosity, where did you move from? I'm wondering if maybe the place you moved *from* is the odd-man-out here? I'm only saying that because I have heard that phrase often in Oregon (West Coast), and *quite* often here in Ohio (Midwest). And you hear it in Boston (East Coast) and wherever the other poster is from, they hear it too.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
It's not..it's quite regional. Honestly, never heard those combination of words until I moved here. I'd venture to say that most people would just say "No thank you/thanks." If you think about it, "all set" is superfluous in that context. I might add "I'm good."

When I hear "all set", I'm just think, "What is this...a race?" Then I'm like wait, I'm in Boston...hahaha.

I have two friends from Ethiopia who moved here just a few months ago and this is the only place they have lived...and they have picked it up from around here too.
Well I've lived in the Midwest almost my entire life and "all set" is a familiar phrase to me.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you move from? I'm wondering if maybe the place you moved *from* is the odd-man-out here? I'm only saying that because I have heard that phrase often in Oregon (West Coast), and *quite* often here in Ohio (Midwest). And you hear it in Boston (East Coast) and wherever the other poster is from, they hear it too.
Well he's from either Mass or Vermont...so it's pretty common.

I'm originally from Houston.

It might be common in the Midwest or East Coast, but I've never heard it anywhere but here.

Try this site on for size though: http://www.universalhub.com/glossary/all_set.html

I'm guessing it has to do with places where New Englanders relocate most often (Seattle and Chicago seem likely destinations) but I could probably guarantee that the South/Southeast would be the last place. Though it makes sense, it's probably not something I would say is standard.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-14-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 02:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I'm guessing it has to do with places where New Englanders relocate most often (Seattle and Chicago seem likely destinations) but I could probably guarantee that the South/Southeast would be the last place. Though it makes sense, it's probably not something I would say is standard.
Huh??

Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh??
Well, I actually meant more likely destination to relocate than anywhere in the South/Southeast.

A lot of people including myself have been considering Chicago to move to for grad school after undergrad and I have many friends that moved there from here...more than moved South, so I was saying the influence is more likely to be there, in any case.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
My husband calls a ski cap a "touque" (pronounced Tew-k). I have no idea why.

Where I live in SW Missouri they drink sodies instead of sodas. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well he's from either Mass or Vermont...so it's pretty common.

I'm originally from Houston.

It might be common in the Midwest or East Coast, but I've never heard it anywhere but here.

Try this site on for size though: All set | Universal Hub

Hmh. Interesting. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of East Coast transplants in the Pacific NW though... some sure, but not a lot. I would say there are a LOT more Midwestern transplants in the PNW. But that would explain the somewhat frequent use of "all set" out there. And my family has Midwest roots so that would also explain me having grown up with the phrase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.