Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I am from western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area), have lived in Delaware, Illinois, Albany, NY, and for the last 29 years, Colorado. Some of the terms below that are ascribed to New England are used in other parts of the country as well. My responses are in blue.

Cellar = basement

Used in W. Pa, too.

Parlor (mostly RI and eastern MA) = living room

I thought that was a more old fashioned term for living room, also have seen it used in W. PA when there was a living room and a little anteroom off the living room that was more formal.

Supper = dinner (traditionally, "dinner" in N.E. is often used to refer to meals not eaten at home, or a late afternoon meal, particularly on Sundays)

Also used in this manner in W. Pa and the midwest

Rubbish = trash / garbage

Not unheard of in W. PA

Grinder = a sub sandwich

Also used in Delaware

Notch = a mountain pass

"Gap" is the term in PA for mountain passes, there are even some towns named such as Shade Gap. Valley is a low-lying area in the mountains in Colorado.

Dungarees (old-fashioned) = jeans

I heard this term back in my childhood in W PA

Flatlander = someone from the coast, usually used pejoratively by people in northern New England to refer to people from southern New England and elsewhere

Used here in CO, also pejoratively, to refer to midwesterners.

Pocket book = purse

Also used in Albany, NY, and by my mom from Wisconsin.

Elastic = rubber band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well I've lived in the Midwest almost my entire life and "all set" is a familiar phrase to me.
My dad, a native western Pennslyvanian, used to say that a lot.

A term I had never heard until living in Champaign, IL was "scooping snow". At first, I couldn't figure out what it meant (it means shoveling snow). DH from Omaha had heard it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am from western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area), have lived in Delaware, Illinois, Albany, NY, and for the last 29 years, Colorado. Some of the terms below that are ascribed to New England are used in other parts of the country as well. My responses are in blue.

Cellar = basement

Used in W. Pa, too.

Parlor (mostly RI and eastern MA) = living room

I thought that was a more old fashioned term for living room, also have seen it used in W. PA when there was a living room and a little anteroom off the living room that was more formal.

Supper = dinner (traditionally, "dinner" in N.E. is often used to refer to meals not eaten at home, or a late afternoon meal, particularly on Sundays)

Also used in this manner in W. Pa and the midwest

Notch = a mountain pass

"Gap" is the term in PA for mountain passes, there are even some towns named such as Shade Gap. Valley is a low-lying area in the mountains in Colorado.

Dungarees (old-fashioned) = jeans

I heard this term back in my childhood in W PA

Pocket book = purse

Also used in Albany, NY, and by my mom from Wisconsin.
I've heard all of those used while living in NC and GA.

A cellar was usually an unfinished or "dirt" basement with a concrete floor...usually used for storage or furnace/water heater.

Parlor is definitely an old-fashioned term. I remember old ladies referring to their parlor when I was little...and it was used on the Beverly Hillbillies.

My mom usually called it supper, but the rest of my family called it dinner. It varied from person to person in my experience.

I remember my grandfather talking about going to Fancy Gap, Virginia...and there was an area near where my Dad grew up called Roaring Gap.

Dungarees is another old-fashioned term...it was popular back when blue jeans first became mainstream. I only remember hearing it when I was little - like before I started school.

My mom always said "Will you bring me my pocket book?".

Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I know that not all of these terms are exclusive to New England, but they do tend to be more commonly used there than in most other regions of the country.

Although "grinder" being used in Delaware is news to me, but I don't doubt it. It's interesting though because it tends to be a very marked shibboleth of New England.

The "supper" / "dinner" distinction is a really complex one -- I know that "supper" is still widely used in various parts of North America, but most regions have different ways of distinguishing the two (for example, "dinner" in New England is never used as a substitute for "lunch"). And there tends to be a lot of inter-speaker variability as "dinner" progressively becomes the standardized form.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Yes, I know that not all of these terms are exclusive to New England, but they do tend to be more commonly used there than in most other regions of the country.

Although "grinder" being used in Delaware is news to me, but I don't doubt it. It's interesting though because it tends to be a very marked shibboleth of New England.

The "supper" / "dinner" distinction is a really complex one -- I know that "supper" is still widely used in various parts of North America, but most regions have different ways of distinguishing the two (for example, "dinner" in New England is never used as a substitute for "lunch"). And there tends to be a lot of inter-speaker variability as "dinner" progressively becomes the standardized form.
In my experience...supper and dinner are the same meal, while lunch is lunch. Some people say supper, and some people say dinner.

"Cellar" is definitely very commonly heard in the South, as is "pocket book".

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
In my experience...supper and dinner are the same meal, while lunch is lunch. Some people say supper, and some people say dinner.
So you don't make a distinction between a meal that is eaten in a more formal setting than another? Do you favor one of the terms to refer to a meal eaten in the late afternoon?

Quote:
"Cellar" is definitely very commonly heard in the South, as is "pocket book".
I know these are widespread (although coming under increasing pressure from more standard forms), but most dialect surveys show "cellar" being more commonly used in the Northeast, particularly in New England and western Pennsylvania.

The Harvard Dialect Survey is a decent resource for these lexical variations, although their maps aren't particularly good - they use a fairly large dot for a single respondent, so even a single speaker makes the term look categorical in a given area. As such, large metro areas look like they use every possible word! You can't get a sense of the percent breakdown unless you look at the state-by-state data (for example, "basement" is around 75% in Georgia, versus 30% in Massachusetts).

Another good source of information is the Dictionary of American Regional English, although I don't think there's any way to access their maps online.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

It took me a while, living in Delaware, to figure out what a grinder was.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 PM

164 posts, read 334,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My parents used dinner differently. Both of them always said to me that dinner is just the biggest meal of the day. It can mean either lunch or supper.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So you don't make a distinction between a meal that is eaten in a more formal setting than another? Do you favor one of the terms to refer to a meal eaten in the late afternoon?

I know these are widespread (although coming under increasing pressure from more standard forms), but most dialect surveys show "cellar" being more commonly used in the Northeast, particularly in New England and western Pennsylvania.

The Harvard Dialect Survey is a decent resource for these lexical variations, although their maps aren't particularly good - they use a fairly large dot for a single respondent, so even a single speaker makes the term look categorical in a given area. As such, large metro areas look like they use every possible word! You can't get a sense of the percent breakdown unless you look at the state-by-state data (for example, "basement" is around 75% in Georgia, versus 30% in Massachusetts).

Another good source of information is the Dictionary of American Regional English, although I don't think there's any way to access their maps online.
But, the point is...none of those terms are unique to New England. They are very common in the South, and I assume in other areas as well.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM

I know. But that doesn't mean they don't belong to "New England slang," particularly when they are used with significantly higher frequency than other regions and when huge swaths of the country (like the entire western half) rarely, if ever, use words like "cellar."

Words like "dude" are used in lots of places of the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't an integral part of Southern California slang, for example.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I know. But that doesn't mean they don't belong to "New England slang," particularly when they are used with significantly higher frequency than other regions and when huge swaths of the country (like the entire western half) rarely, if ever, use words like "cellar."

Words like "dude" are used in lots of places of the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't an integral part of Southern California slang, for example.
Significantly higher frequency than the other regions? What are you talking about? You don't know that for a fact...and I'm pretty sure those words are used VERY frequently in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.